Wesley Chapel, FL vs Wimauma, FL - How Important are Schools???

Wesley Chapel, FL vs Wimauma, FL - How Important are Schools???

Member since 2020 · 17 posts · 8 votes

I am looking to purchase a 1,500 square ft 3 bed, 2 bath house as an investment in Tampa Bay and have narrowed down my search to two identical houses/lots in different communities built by the same developer, DR Horton. Here is how the two houses/locations compare:

Southshore Bay, Wimauma, FL vs Epperson, Wesley Chapel, FL

- Both communities seem very family friendly, large lagoons in both with children and their families (+ middle-aged seen alone, didn't really notice any elderly) 

- Wimauma is much more centralized located between Tampa and Bradenton, which means residents could be commuters to cities of Tampa, St. Pete, Bradenton, Sarasota vs. probably only Tampa commuters would want to live in Wesley Chapel 

     - Distances to Interstate 75 and Tampa from each are approximately the same (~10-12 minutes and ~30 minutes), but there is going to be a new road built in Wesley Chapel that makes ride to I-75 much quicker

    - Same approximate 1 hour and 15 minutes to Disney World 

- Wimauma property offers beautiful view of pond that stretches along row of houses; protected preserve with forest behind pond; backyard faces due west towards sunset VS Wesley Chapel house backyard has view of stone wall, plans for new road to be built behind this wall that could cause noise 

- Wimauma community gated at night, Wesley Chapel is not

- Same amenities - lagoon, golf cart and walking trails, internet and cable included in HOA; same appliances and blinds included

- ***Currently ZERO houses available for rent in Wimauma community (RENTING IS ALLOWED; Wesley Chapel community is bigger)***

     - ***Could this be good or bad?***

     - 6% max houses can be rented 

- More houses for sale in Wimauma and cheaper; seems to be more demand in Wesley Chapel 

       - Houses in both communities/towns are disappearing fast

       - Wesley Chapel seems to have started expanding before Wimauma 

- Higher income and higher home values in Wesley Chapel; Wimauma community seems closer to low-income old Wimauma community to the east 

- Wesley Chapel area more developed, larger; both rapidly expanding

- DR Horton Google reviews: 4.5/5 at Wimauma, 4.3/5 at Wesley Chapel

           - Spoke to middle-aged Wimauma resident - happy overall, small problem with blinds that was fixed

          - Agents at both developments seem helpful and friendly

- Much better school district + nearby charter school in Wesley Chapel, but Wimauma property seems to be better in most other categories 

Wesley Chapel is better for families seeking good schools; Wimauma serves more commuters since it is located between many more cities/businesses. Both seem to be equally suitable for the elderly (both 1-story) 

Which community do you think I should buy in? Does the importance of a good school district in Wesley Chapel outweigh the benefits of buying in Wimauma? 

1Reply
43 views

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2021 · 20 posts · 10 votes
    5y

    I like Wesley Chapel better, we recently bought a new rental in that area.  Wimauma might have greater growth potential but have not researched it enough yet.  I live in the Wesley Chapel area and am actively looking for another rental here.  Schools are full as soon as they open, the school system can't keep up.  We've only bought in neighbor hoods we would live.

  • Member since 2020 · 17 posts · 8 votes
    5y

    Travis Leonard - Did you buy a house built by DR Horton? If so, would you say you're satisfied with the quality of their construction?  

  • Property Manager · Tampa, FL · Member since 2021 · 65 posts · 29 votes
    5y

    @Blaise Doremus

    Are you looking to do air bnb or long term. I personally am a fan of Wesley chapel as the area is perfect for families and achieving high rents

  • Member since 2021 · 20 posts · 10 votes
    5y

    We did not buy a Dr Horton, we looked a them but ended up with another builder of similar quality.  Dr Horton is a trac builder so its not the best quality but I wouldn't hesitate to buy and or live in one.  I personally think Dr is better than several of the others in the area.

  • Member since 2020 · 17 posts · 8 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Joshua Adlam:

    @Blaise Doremus

    Are you looking to do air bnb or long term. I personally am a fan of Wesley chapel as the area is perfect for families and achieving high rents

    Long term rent. 6, not 12, month minimum is a benefit of renting out in these 2 communities. 

  • Member since 2020 · 17 posts · 8 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Joshua Adlam:

    @Blaise Doremus

    Are you looking to do air bnb or long term. I personally am a fan of Wesley chapel as the area is perfect for families and achieving high rents

     I found out that 3-4% of houses in the Wimauma community are currently being rented out, but there is a 6-8% cap. ZERO houses currently available for rent in this community, which means I should be able to get high rent. But still seems more risky here and the house I like isn’t going to be completed until around the end of the year. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Member since 2018 · 39 posts · 23 votes
    5y

    Wesley Chapel is one of the fastest growing cities in Florida and Pasco County is one of the fastest growing counties I believe in the country.  I live in Wesley Chapel and it's booming and there is a ton to do here. I think schools are definitely important as that offers more opportunity. People want to live where the best schools are. I actually have a client purchasing in Epperson right now for investment and I will manage his property when built (I am also a property manager and appraiser). I shot videos for him so that he could understand the different communities because he was out of state. They are widening roads all over the place here because of the growth and there is talk of doing some sort of business development (like a little downtown).  I think this area has more potential.

  • Port Richey, FL · Member since 2016 · 129 posts · 48 votes
    5y

    @Blaise Doremus if you live here then you already know Wesley Chapel is the superior location. Sounds possibly the Wimauma location house a better home/neighborhood. Rentals are through the roof currently and people are seeking these communities to commute to Tampa. I probably go with the best value based on numbers then fall back on “location, location, location”

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.