Best towns in florida to invest

Best towns in florida to invest

Member since 2021 · 3 posts · 5 votes

Hello everyone! I am looking to buy either single or multi family property in florida.

I am from Long Island ny and aren’t very familiar with florida.

I’m looking for either Naples, Cape Coral, port richey, Clearwater, Fort Lauderdale.

Any suggestions on where is the best place to put my $ in? If you have a different town in mind please feel free to share!

4Reply
69 views

Most Popular Reply

Stetson MillerBusiness Member
Real Estate Broker · Fort Myers, FL · Member since 2019 · 576 posts · 423 votes
5y

Hi @Evangelos Mavros,

Do you have a preferred strategy, price range, cash flow vs appreciation? All of these places offer multiple strategies, but combining the right area with the wrong strategy won't result in a good outcome

See this reply in the discussion

37 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Stetson MillerBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Fort Myers, FL · Member since 2019 · 576 posts · 423 votes
    5y

    Hi @Evangelos Mavros,

    Do you have a preferred strategy, price range, cash flow vs appreciation? All of these places offer multiple strategies, but combining the right area with the wrong strategy won't result in a good outcome

  • Real Estate Broker | Investor | Property Manager · Plantation, FL · Member since 2015 · 228 posts · 68 votes
    5y

    Happy to address the SE FL section and why clients of mine have chosen here and or other locations across the state. What are you looking at to determine if you want to it money there?

  • Realtor · OK · Member since 2020 · 139 posts · 165 votes
    5y

    If you like the buy and hold strategy the Destin/Emerald coast area is great because the combined military population from Eglin AFB/7th Group/Duke Field/Hurlburt Field is pretty large. If you like short term rentals there are cities along the coast like Destin, Miramar, San Destin and Panama City that are great opportunities. 

  • Member since 2021 · 35 posts · 13 votes
    5y

    Panama City Beach, Florida very much caters to out of area owners, particularly investors who buy STR's in the condo market. Whether you like to use AirBnB or want a full blown property management company, there are many options to choose from.

  • Real Estate Broker | Investor | Property Manager · Plantation, FL · Member since 2015 · 228 posts · 68 votes
    5y

    @Donna Hampton makes a good point. How do you foresee the management and operation of the property? Do you want to use it part time? Full blown rental? Long term? Etc etc. lots of particulars to hash out for a question like that. Happy to discuss further.

  • Enzo Di PalmaBusiness Member
    Realtor · Miami Beach, FL · Member since 2019 · 32 posts · 9 votes
    5y

    Hello Evangelos. I'm very bullish on Broward County. In particular for STR and spec value growth. Feel free to pick my brain on investing and South Florida market.

  • Real Estate Agent · Tampa, FL · Member since 2018 · 464 posts · 452 votes
    5y

    I'll echo the sentiments of @Kevin Pillow - Destin (and the whole Emerald Coast) is a great option if you're looking for cash flow through STRs.  Best of luck in your search!

  • Michael PorchePro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Boise, ID · Member since 2017 · 220 posts · 101 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Kevin Pillow:

    If you like the buy and hold strategy the Destin/Emerald coast area is great because the combined military population from Eglin AFB/7th Group/Duke Field/Hurlburt Field is pretty large. If you like short term rentals there are cities along the coast like Destin, Miramar, San Destin and Panama City that are great opportunities. 

    Are you up there now? Would love to connect. I got a few in that area and looking to network with more folk. I live in Idaho. 

  • Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 975 votes
    5y

    Pensacola is a great market too. Increasingly diverse economy (less reliant on military and tourism than in years past), low cost of living, properties aren't nearly as expensive as bigger markets in Florida. I have a buddy who wholesales there too. He's finding good deals. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Pensacola, FL · Member since 2020 · 210 posts · 138 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Doug Spence:

    Pensacola is a great market too. Increasingly diverse economy (less reliant on military and tourism than in years past), low cost of living, properties aren't nearly as expensive as bigger markets in Florida. I have a buddy who wholesales there too. He's finding good deals. 


    Can you put me in contact with your buddy? I’m an agent in the area and have a lot of investors looking. Also, I’m always looking for myself as well.

  • Real Estate Agent · Fort Walton Beach, FL · Member since 2018 · 219 posts · 275 votes
    5y

    @Evangelos Mavros I'm going to make an assumption (correct me if I'm wrong) that you are looking for an investment property to use as STR/vacation rental. If so, I would suggest you look at Panama City Beach. There are a number of great areas in Florida that are very popular. I personally live and focus on the Emerald Coast/Panhandle. My personal investment properties are in Fort Walton Beach. I currently have a number of real estate clients switch their attention to PCB. The reason I am suggesting you look at Panama City Beach is because lending rules for condominiums have been restricted severely in the past two years. That becomes even more difficult (limiting you to investment or portfolio loans) if you have another property in the area. Panama City Beach has a number of beach-front and beach-adjacent townhouses and single family homes that allow vacation rentals, yet are not priced in the $600K to $1M+ range like beach houses and stand-alone vacation rentals in Destin, Miramar, 30A, Pensacola Beach. There are pretty much no single family beach house rentals in Fort Walton Beach.

    So, as you calculate your cash on cash return and you try to buy with the least amount of $$ down to maximize your investment return, townhouses and single family homes that allow lower rates and 10% down purchase in many cases, suddenly become a lot more attractive than condos. A number of townhouse communities in PCB have amenities such as pools, grouped cable and water payments, etc like condos, but they are not organized into a condominium association so they allow better loan options. 

    My two cents :-)

  • Real Estate Agent · Pensacola, FL · Member since 2020 · 210 posts · 138 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Villy Ellinger:


    My two cents :-)

    Great advice! I don't work that far east so I never really considered the townhome options in PCB. Me personally, my only concern over that way is the quality of tenants that come during the spring break and summer season. With all the bad rap that PCB received (and some, rightfully so) over the last few years, are you seeing any increased damages on STRs in the area compared to Destin and OKI?

  • Investor · Lake Worth, FL · Member since 2016 · 233 posts · 140 votes
    5y

    @Evangelos Mavros in todays market the best town is where you find the best deal that meets your criteria. Property type, class, turnkey or rehab, cashflow or appreciation, ltr or str, single or multi family, price, passive or active, self managed or not, loan type etc. I personally prefer palm beach county but my criteria is likely different than yours.

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2020 · 148 posts · 97 votes
    5y

    As mentioned above, this all depends on your investment goals.  If you want to invest in a short-term vacation rental property in a Florida market, connect with me and I'd be happy to discuss your investment strategy in more detail along with the best markets that match your criteria!  

  • Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2019 · 326 posts · 266 votes
    5y

    You named some solid places. I say look at the demographics, 200k+ population, 20% or less poverty, 445-55k median house income, and 150k+ median house price.

  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    5y

    Cape Coral
    Naples
    Hands down the two BEST towns on the gulf coast. 

  • Member since 2018 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    5y
  • Investor · Bucks County, PA · Member since 2020 · 41 posts · 52 votes
    5y

    @Evangelos Mavros I'm surprised that no one has said Jacksonville or Ocala... For cash flow, both areas have room to grow with a more favorable entry price point than many of the places already mentioned.

  • United States · Member since 2021 · 151 posts · 49 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Evangelos Mavros:

    Hello everyone! I am looking to buy either single or multi family property in florida.

    I am from Long Island ny and aren’t very familiar with florida.

    I’m looking for either Naples, Cape Coral, port richey, Clearwater, Fort Lauderdale.

    Any suggestions on where is the best place to put my $ in? If you have a different town in mind please feel free to share!

     Tampa, Orlando, pan handle, cape coral are good. Fort Lauderdale is overpriced. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Tampa Florida · Member since 2013 · 630 posts · 303 votes
    5y

    @Evangelos Mavros

    Hi Evangelos, I am a Realtor here in the Tampa area. I work in Clearwater and New Port Richey. It really depends on your strategy. Do you want to be able to do AirBNB? Do you want long term renters? Are you wanting turn key or BRRRR?

  • Rental Property Investor · Concord, GA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    If you're looking for long term tenants, the panhandle is good. We have property in Milton and the buy in there is pretty reasonable. For STR, just about anywhere in the state would work.

  • Realtor · Greater Tampa Bay · Member since 2014 · 219 posts · 130 votes
    5y

    Would say it depends on how much you have to work with. Being able to get into some of the larger markets is nice, but if you don't have the capital, some folks are recommending Pensacola or Ocala.

  • Specialist · Port Richey · Member since 2019 · 54 posts · 12 votes
    5y

    I have a nice property I'm going to sell in New port richey. Send me a message if you're interested 

  • Realtor · Lakeland, FL · Member since 2020 · 73 posts · 72 votes
    5y

    @Evangelos Mavros it really depends on what your goals are. I’m based in Lakeland and there are many out of state investors buying here. If you’re interested in this area at all, I’d be happy to provide you with more details.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2016 · 158 posts · 86 votes
    5y

    Glad to come across this topic.

    I am looking for long term buy and hold and mainly for cash flow today.

    If appreciation catches up in the next ten years then good.

    Any cities or towns that are expected to gentrify in Florida in the coming years would be nice.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.