Best towns in florida to invest

32 Replies

Hello everyone! I am looking to buy either single or multi family property in florida.

I am from Long Island ny and aren’t very familiar with florida.

I’m looking for either Naples, Cape Coral, port richey, Clearwater, Fort Lauderdale.

Any suggestions on where is the best place to put my $ in? If you have a different town in mind please feel free to share!

If you like the buy and hold strategy the Destin/Emerald coast area is great because the combined military population from Eglin AFB/7th Group/Duke Field/Hurlburt Field is pretty large. If you like short term rentals there are cities along the coast like Destin, Miramar, San Destin and Panama City that are great opportunities. 

Panama City Beach, Florida very much caters to out of area owners, particularly investors who buy STR's in the condo market. Whether you like to use AirBnB or want a full blown property management company, there are many options to choose from.

Originally posted by @Kevin Pillow :

If you like the buy and hold strategy the Destin/Emerald coast area is great because the combined military population from Eglin AFB/7th Group/Duke Field/Hurlburt Field is pretty large. If you like short term rentals there are cities along the coast like Destin, Miramar, San Destin and Panama City that are great opportunities. 

Are you up there now? Would love to connect. I got a few in that area and looking to network with more folk. I live in Idaho. 

Pensacola is a great market too. Increasingly diverse economy (less reliant on military and tourism than in years past), low cost of living, properties aren't nearly as expensive as bigger markets in Florida. I have a buddy who wholesales there too. He's finding good deals. 

Originally posted by @Douglas Spence :

Pensacola is a great market too. Increasingly diverse economy (less reliant on military and tourism than in years past), low cost of living, properties aren't nearly as expensive as bigger markets in Florida. I have a buddy who wholesales there too. He's finding good deals. 


Can you put me in contact with your buddy? I’m an agent in the area and have a lot of investors looking. Also, I’m always looking for myself as well.

@Evangelos Mavros I'm going to make an assumption (correct me if I'm wrong) that you are looking for an investment property to use as STR/vacation rental. If so, I would suggest you look at Panama City Beach. There are a number of great areas in Florida that are very popular. I personally live and focus on the Emerald Coast/Panhandle. My personal investment properties are in Fort Walton Beach. I currently have a number of real estate clients switch their attention to PCB. The reason I am suggesting you look at Panama City Beach is because lending rules for condominiums have been restricted severely in the past two years. That becomes even more difficult (limiting you to investment or portfolio loans) if you have another property in the area. Panama City Beach has a number of beach-front and beach-adjacent townhouses and single family homes that allow vacation rentals, yet are not priced in the $600K to $1M+ range like beach houses and stand-alone vacation rentals in Destin, Miramar, 30A, Pensacola Beach. There are pretty much no single family beach house rentals in Fort Walton Beach.

So, as you calculate your cash on cash return and you try to buy with the least amount of $$ down to maximize your investment return, townhouses and single family homes that allow lower rates and 10% down purchase in many cases, suddenly become a lot more attractive than condos. A number of townhouse communities in PCB have amenities such as pools, grouped cable and water payments, etc like condos, but they are not organized into a condominium association so they allow better loan options. 

My two cents :-)

Originally posted by @Villy Ellinger :


My two cents :-)

Great advice! I don't work that far east so I never really considered the townhome options in PCB. Me personally, my only concern over that way is the quality of tenants that come during the spring break and summer season. With all the bad rap that PCB received (and some, rightfully so) over the last few years, are you seeing any increased damages on STRs in the area compared to Destin and OKI?

@Evangelos Mavros in todays market the best town is where you find the best deal that meets your criteria. Property type, class, turnkey or rehab, cashflow or appreciation, ltr or str, single or multi family, price, passive or active, self managed or not, loan type etc. I personally prefer palm beach county but my criteria is likely different than yours.

As mentioned above, this all depends on your investment goals.  If you want to invest in a short-term vacation rental property in a Florida market, connect with me and I'd be happy to discuss your investment strategy in more detail along with the best markets that match your criteria!  

Originally posted by @Evangelos Mavros :

Hello everyone! I am looking to buy either single or multi family property in florida.

I am from Long Island ny and aren’t very familiar with florida.

I’m looking for either Naples, Cape Coral, port richey, Clearwater, Fort Lauderdale.

Any suggestions on where is the best place to put my $ in? If you have a different town in mind please feel free to share!

 Tampa, Orlando, pan handle, cape coral are good. Fort Lauderdale is overpriced. 

@Evangelos Mavros

Hi Evangelos, I am a Realtor here in the Tampa area. I work in Clearwater and New Port Richey. It really depends on your strategy. Do you want to be able to do AirBNB? Do you want long term renters? Are you wanting turn key or BRRRR?

If you're looking for long term tenants, the panhandle is good. We have property in Milton and the buy in there is pretty reasonable. For STR, just about anywhere in the state would work.

@Evangelos Mavros it really depends on what your goals are. I’m based in Lakeland and there are many out of state investors buying here. If you’re interested in this area at all, I’d be happy to provide you with more details.