Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2014 · 12 posts · 1 vote
I'm planning on moving 70% of my portfolio from OR / WA to the midwest. To start with, I'm looking to pick up 5-10 SFHs in a cash flow market. Trying to decide between Lansing, Toledo, and North Detroit (Warren area).
Would love to hear from people who invest in one of these markets regularly and/or recently about why they would choose that market over the other two I listed.
Would also love to connect with any investors who would be willing to share actual numbers from a recent deal. I know there were killer deals in these places a couple of years ago, but want to make sure I'm understanding what recent deals are looking like.
Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit, MI · Member since 2018 · 612 posts · 666 votes
4y
@Emma Lincoln
My most recent purchase in Warren MI, purchase price or $81k - needs some love then will rent for $1300. Cash flow and ROI monster. The $75-$110k price point with rents of $1000-$1400 is very prevalent here in metro detroit.
Previously the deals were buy for $50k and rent for $850. Great deal. Now, the deals are buy for $90k and rent for $1250. Still a great deal because rents are higher now too.
Real Estate Agent · Lansing, MI · Member since 2020 · 170 posts · 91 votes
5y
Hey Emma. Lansing is a great place for cash flowing properties. Being the Capital of Michigan, there's tons of government jobs, two major hospitals, a community college, a law school and it's not far from Michigan State University. There are a lot of old properties here in Lansing and they can be great value add properties. I can't speak for Toledo or Detroit.
Why just SFH? Have you considered 2-4 unit properties? I'm a local agent but am really looking to stick with Investor clients. Would love to chat with you over call/FaceTime. I'd be more than happy to give you a couple references as well.
Real Estate Consultant · Lansing, MI · Member since 2011 · 356 posts · 306 votes
5y
@Emma Lincoln
I think you can do well in all three. Something you may want to do is compare some of the other costs associated with rentals. Property taxes can be pretty high in lansing, and there's also code compliance that requires your rentals to be registered, which most other cities do not have. Both of these might factor in to your decision.
Troy is spot on regarding the tenant base, though. Plenty of supply if you choose the right property. Certainly reach out if want more info!
Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit, MI · Member since 2018 · 612 posts · 666 votes
4y
@Emma Lincoln
My most recent purchase in Warren MI, purchase price or $81k - needs some love then will rent for $1300. Cash flow and ROI monster. The $75-$110k price point with rents of $1000-$1400 is very prevalent here in metro detroit.
Previously the deals were buy for $50k and rent for $850. Great deal. Now, the deals are buy for $90k and rent for $1250. Still a great deal because rents are higher now too.