Strategy to sell a loser

Strategy to sell a loser

Investor · Willow Spring, NC · Member since 2013 · 788 posts · 285 votes

Back in 2003 I bought my first primary residence. I paid $154k and it's never been worth that since. I bought it with a 3/1 ARM but was never able to refinance because I've never had 20% equity, and it was never sold to Freddie/Fannie so I didn't get my government bailout.

Fast forward to 2012, my rate adjusts to 3.25% and I'm $30-40k underwater. I decide to move to NC and make my home in MI a rental. The rent is covering all expenses now, so I'm OK for the time being. But with rates rising, next year my mortgage could be as high as 5.25%, which then it will be a loser.

I have 2 other properties that will provide approximately $750/mo cash flow after expenses.

My thoughts are this:

I could continue making normal payments on the house and wait until the principal pay down, and possible appreciation meet at a break even point and then sell. I'd have to ride out the ARM and look forward to some possible minor losses.

I could speed this process up by taking the $750/mo from the other rentals and apply it as extra principal payments. Once the principal pay down and possible appreciation meet, then sell.

Or I could do either option, wait until I have 20% equity and refinance into a fixed rate. I have no idea though what the rates would be when I finally have 20% though.

What do you think??

0Reply
10 views

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Miami, FL · Member since 2012 · 612 posts · 189 votes
    13y

    Have you considered getting a HARP (Home Affordable Refinance Program) refinance? It is specifically designed to help homeowners who have less than 20% equity in an underwater mortgage but have stayed current will all their payments (sounds like you). The problem is that your loan was not resold... I wonder why? I wonder if the bank could work with you on this?

    Here is a reference that might help:

    http://www.bankrate.com/finance/refinance/refinance-options-when-you-re-underwater-1.aspx

    If you cannot refinance until 20% equity, well... you need to count your options. Obviously, you are no longer living in the home (which means if you refinance your interest rate for an investment property is going to most likely be over 5% anyway). So this is pure numbers not "I love this house."

    Honestly, when the property is long longer cash flowing, I would count my options and see what is the option that accounts for the least financial loss and go with it. I would not however use other investment properties to bail this one out. But that is me.

  • Investor · Willow Spring, NC · Member since 2013 · 788 posts · 285 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Simon Campbell:
    Have you considered getting a HARP (Home Affordable Refinance Program) refinance?

    I've looked at HARP, but since the loan isn't owned by Freddie or Fannie I'm SOL.

  • Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 619 posts · 128 votes
    13y

    Do you have the funds to pay down the loan to 80% LTV?

    Current NOO rates are over 5% for a 30 year mortgage so even if you could refinance it sounds like you would be losing money on this property if the rents stay the same... is there room to increase the rent at renewal time?

  • Investor · Riverside, CA · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    I thought this post was going to teach my how to sell one of my relatives.... LOL

    Unfortunately, if you are current on your mortgage and you do not have an FHA backed loan, there aren't many.. any? options available to you unless you stop making payments. Even then, you might not get the assistance the lender tells you they may give you if you are behind.

    If short sale is not your option, you just have to dig your nails in and hang on. I have heard rumors of a new HARP 3.0 program that is being tossed around. If they roll it out, it will assist a wider range of home owners.

    Hope things work out for you.

  • Investor · Willow Spring, NC · Member since 2013 · 788 posts · 285 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Gautam Venkatesan:
    Do you have the funds to pay down the loan to 80% LTV?

    is there room to increase the rent at renewal time?

    My funds are going to additional purchases, so I don't have money to dump into this home. I didn't want to bring $30k to closing to sell my home.

    Lease was signed in March, so maybe next year when my rates adjust I might be able to get more in rent too.

    Would you look to pay it down quicker with profits? Or let the normal principal payments do their thing?

  • Investor · Willow Spring, NC · Member since 2013 · 788 posts · 285 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Aaron Mazzrillo:
    If short sale is not your option, you just have to dig your nails in and hang on. I have heard rumors of a new HARP 3.0 program that is being tossed around. If they roll it out, it will assist a wider range of home owners.

    Maybe I will get my government bailout after all.

  • Miami, FL · Member since 2012 · 612 posts · 189 votes
    13y

    Paying down principle to create cash flow is not a good idea in my opinion. Here is why. You are looking to get out of an ARM because the rate may go up. Right now if you put every extra dime on this mortgage, you will be saving yourself 3.25% on the extra payment. Can you reinvest this money somewhere else and make a greater return? Most likely yes.

    Put your money where you will get the greatest percentage of cash on cash return. The worst case scenario is that once the market value reaches the payoff + closing cost you can cut your loss but you are still not at a negative equity and you have used your additional funds where you will actually see a benefit.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.