Should I purchase a home under my name for my parents?

Should I purchase a home under my name for my parents?

Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 0 votes

So I help pay for my parent's housing right now. I can no longer afford to do so and am looking for alternatives. I figured house hacking should be the way to go. I originally wanted to put it under my parent's name but I do not think that is no longer viable due to no income and no credit score. I figured I can try to purchase a Triplex and put it under my name. However, there are a few things that would be a disadvantage. I wanted to know if anyone has any help with combating these. If I claim my parent's as my dependent since I will basically take care of their every need would I still qualify? Or are there any other programs I should look into? I do not live in the same state as my parents. They can't move in with me. 

1. Down payment Assistance Program- The area provides up to $75k in help. I am not sure if I will still qualify if I put the house under my name. 

2. Biden 15K down payment Assistance-Again may not be able to qualify even if they are dependent. I have to double-check. 

3. Property Taxes- Property Taxes are favorable for the elderly. I most likely may not qualify even if it's technically my parent's home. 

4. Larger Down payment- My lender did advise if all units are rent occupied my down payment will go from 3% minimum to 20% minimum leaving less money in my pockets. 

Again these are all the cons I found. I already did the other research before with the lender. Credit Score, reserves, possible down payment.

0Reply
12 views

No replies yet. Be the first to reply to this discussion.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.