How to find foreclosures and short sales

How to find foreclosures and short sales

Real Estate Agent · Chester, NY · Member since 2020 · 34 posts · 9 votes

Hello All!

I am trying to find out strategies to finding foreclosures and short sales outside of the mls. Has anyone had good experience with RedX?  I called my local County Clerk and they said they don’t compile a list. The Records Dept isn’t of much help either. They occasionally put a list out for tax liens, but that’s it. 

Thanks all in advance!

0Reply
41 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Jacksonville FL & Middletown, CT · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 633 votes
5y

99% of all short sales and foreclosure get listed in the mls. If you are looking for leads that may become foreclosures/shorts sales you could look at NOD/lis pendens lists, or lists of people late on their mortgage. A list of people in forbearance would be amazing, but I couldn't tell you how to get access to that.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Jacksonville FL & Middletown, CT · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 633 votes
    5y

    99% of all short sales and foreclosure get listed in the mls. If you are looking for leads that may become foreclosures/shorts sales you could look at NOD/lis pendens lists, or lists of people late on their mortgage. A list of people in forbearance would be amazing, but I couldn't tell you how to get access to that.

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    5y

    @Todd Sullivan Correct, your local clerk/land/records office don’t create “list”, but....the info is there to create your own list, just search online for whatever the first recorded document is in a foreclosure.  Here it is an LP (Lis Pendens).  I would assume many others are already doing this, I did it years ago.

  • Insurance Agent · Lakewood, CA · Member since 2013 · 171 posts · 98 votes
    5y

    @Todd Sullivan....I've been in the default industry for some time. There are still some asset management companies with their fingers on the pulse of foreclosures that become REO. They have established relationships with banks for bulk purchase. We just don't see them until they hit the MLS for a bidding war. I've been looking into https://www.**************/ & https://www.hudforeclosed.com/. ********** will be handling the upcoming LA County tax and foreclosure auction in February. It also still pays to do some leg work mentioned by @Wayne Brooks. Also, reach out to banks like FifthThird to find the REO department.

  • New York, NY · Member since 2018 · 215 posts · 50 votes
    5y

    @Todd Sullivan Hello. I do business mostly in Sullivan County and occasionally Orange County. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Chester, NY · Member since 2020 · 34 posts · 9 votes
    5y

    Thank you all for your input!  I’m brand new to investing, and trying to figure out a strategy to follow is tough with so many options out there. Again, thank you all!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.