Cash purchase and refi

Cash purchase and refi

Paterson, NJ · Member since 2017 · 18 posts · 11 votes

Hello everybody, I wanted to know how long you have to wait to refi or get a line of credit on a property when you buy the house cash or with a hard money loan? Im interested in purchasing a property cash with either my money or a hard money loan but I want to refi or get a line of credit as soon as possible. In Paterson NJ.

1Reply
20 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Hackensack, NJ · Member since 2016 · 10 posts · 3 votes
9y

I thought there's a seasoning period of 6 to 12 months?

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Bowling Green, KY · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    It all depends on the lender and the type of loan, but you should be able to find someone who can do it almost instantly. 

  • Investor · Hackensack, NJ · Member since 2016 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    I thought there's a seasoning period of 6 to 12 months?

  • Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2014 · 811 posts · 420 votes
    9y
    The 6 to 12 month seasoning period is only if you are looking at conventional lenders. You can find no seasoning lenders but the terms will be commercial (shorter amortization, higher interest rate, balloon in say 5 years)
  • Investor · Hackensack, NJ · Member since 2016 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Darren Budahn:

    The 6 to 12 month seasoning period is only if you are looking at conventional lenders. You can find no seasoning lenders but the terms will be commercial (shorter amortization, higher interest rate, balloon in say 5 years)

    Do you mean Interest only or from a HML institution?

  • Rental Property Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2011 · 512 posts · 290 votes
    9y

    I am working on one right now that requires no seasoning period if purchased with HML or a private loan as long as there is a recorded note and deed (Texas). There are some rules about not receiving funds from sellers etc. but I was surprised to find this out. If purchased with your own money, I think the rules may change. I hope you get a reply from a lender here.

    Good luck,

    Will

  • Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2014 · 811 posts · 420 votes
    9y

    You can get those terms from a portfolio lender. No, it's not interest only. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Lindon, UT · Member since 2015 · 862 posts · 438 votes
    9y

    @Nathaniel Hernandez

    One of the benefits of having a recorded HML on a rental property is Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac do not have a seasoning requirement when they are paying off an existing loan. That means, you can record the HML and immediately start working on your conventional take out loan. Having a HML on a property helps you negate the one year wait. Realize that they will only replace the existing HML, and that most institutional lenders will not also give you cash back within the first year of ownership.

    If you use cash to buy the home, some lenders will allow you to re-capitalize yourself without seasoning and some lenders will not.  Talk to a few conventional lenders first.  I would stick with local banks over large institutional banks.  You'll have better luck with banks that can hold their own paper for awhile.

  • Loan Officer / Processor / Life & Health Agent · Rancho Cucamonga, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 757 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Nathaniel Hernandez:

    Hello everybody, I wanted to know how long you have to wait to refi or get a line of credit on a property when you buy the house cash or with a hard money loan? Im interested in purchasing a property cash with either my money or a hard money loan but I want to refi or get a line of credit as soon as possible. In Paterson NJ.

     If you buy the home for all cash and do the repairs etc before 6 months is up you will probably qualify for delayed financing.  But if you get any type of loan on the home you will have to wait for 6 months seasoning for new appraised value.

    I hope this helps and have a great day.

  • Lender · Orlando, FL · Member since 2016 · 340 posts · 115 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Nathaniel Hernandez:

    Hello everybody, I wanted to know how long you have to wait to refi or get a line of credit on a property when you buy the house cash or with a hard money loan? Im interested in purchasing a property cash with either my money or a hard money loan but I want to refi or get a line of credit as soon as possible. In Paterson NJ.

    You don't have to wait, but sometimes there are benefits to waiting that aren't easy to identify (example - appraisers are conservative, so just because a lender doesn't have seasoning requirements, doesn't mean you will get the refinance you want if an appraiser doesn't see the short term increase in value that you believe you have achieved...   Outside of conventional lending, it all depends on each lender's requirements.  Some have none, some have minimum investment requirements for your cash left in the deal (skin in the game)... And oddly enough this is information you have to dig for with most lenders as refinance seasoning requirements isn't often explained on everyone's websites.  I'm happy to help if you want to share some of the numbers on your transactions and what you are trying to accomplish specifically.  Feel free to DM me if you want or in the thread is great too in case it can help anyone else with similar questions.  

  • Paterson, NJ · Member since 2017 · 18 posts · 11 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Dustin Lauer:
    Originally posted by @Nathaniel Hernandez:

    Hello everybody, I wanted to know how long you have to wait to refi or get a line of credit on a property when you buy the house cash or with a hard money loan? Im interested in purchasing a property cash with either my money or a hard money loan but I want to refi or get a line of credit as soon as possible. In Paterson NJ.

    You don't have to wait, but sometimes there are benefits to waiting that aren't easy to identify (example - appraisers are conservative, so just because a lender doesn't have seasoning requirements, doesn't mean you will get the refinance you want if an appraiser doesn't see the short term increase in value that you believe you have achieved...   Outside of conventional lending, it all depends on each lender's requirements.  Some have none, some have minimum investment requirements for your cash left in the deal (skin in the game)... And oddly enough this is information you have to dig for with most lenders as refinance seasoning requirements isn't often explained on everyone's websites.  I'm happy to help if you want to share some of the numbers on your transactions and what you are trying to accomplish specifically.  Feel free to DM me if you want or in the thread is great too in case it can help anyone else with similar questions.  

    I'm looking at some deals and see what are my options but I'm looking to get in the game this quarter and get some deals done. I will definitely be contacting you so we can chat a bit.

  • Lender · Orlando, FL · Member since 2016 · 340 posts · 115 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Nathaniel Hernandez:
    Originally posted by @Dustin Lauer:
    Originally posted by @Nathaniel Hernandez:

    Hello everybody, I wanted to know how long you have to wait to refi or get a line of credit on a property when you buy the house cash or with a hard money loan? Im interested in purchasing a property cash with either my money or a hard money loan but I want to refi or get a line of credit as soon as possible. In Paterson NJ.

    You don't have to wait, but sometimes there are benefits to waiting that aren't easy to identify (example - appraisers are conservative, so just because a lender doesn't have seasoning requirements, doesn't mean you will get the refinance you want if an appraiser doesn't see the short term increase in value that you believe you have achieved...   Outside of conventional lending, it all depends on each lender's requirements.  Some have none, some have minimum investment requirements for your cash left in the deal (skin in the game)... And oddly enough this is information you have to dig for with most lenders as refinance seasoning requirements isn't often explained on everyone's websites.  I'm happy to help if you want to share some of the numbers on your transactions and what you are trying to accomplish specifically.  Feel free to DM me if you want or in the thread is great too in case it can help anyone else with similar questions.  

    I'm looking at some deals and see what are my options but I'm looking to get in the game this quarter and get some deals done. I will definitely be contacting you so we can chat a bit.

     Nice - We have been pretty active in Patterson and NJ in general if you check us out!  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.