Assumable Mortgages - What does the Process Actually Look Like?

Assumable Mortgages - What does the Process Actually Look Like?

Realtor · Denver, CO · Member since 2015 · 24 posts · 16 votes

Has anyone on here successfully assumed a seller's mortgage? I'm curious what the process is from an inside perspective. Are mortgage companies easy to work with on assumption? Or do they set pretty tough stipulations for being approved to assume? 

Thanks! 

0Reply
48 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Mike GrudzienPro Member
    Lender · Eugene, OR · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Every company is different.  But that said, I'm interested in seeing the answers posted here.

  • Investor · Get yourself trained before doing something inadvisable. · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Kerri Shaffer:

    Has anyone on here successfully assumed a seller's mortgage? I'm curious what the process is from an inside perspective. Are mortgage companies easy to work with on assumption? Or do they set pretty tough stipulations for being approved to assume? 

    Thanks! 

    Assuming a mortgage as compared to Subject To

    When you assume a mortgage, you have to qualify the same way as if you applied for the loan in the first place. The lender is aware of you and you have made formal application. They can say "No".

    Subject To is when you start making the payment for the seller. The lender normally is Not consulted about the arrangement. If the lender learns of the arrangement, they can demand that the loan be paid off. (Due on Sale clause in the loan agreement)

    I only buy Subject to, but there is an art form to it. We provide training for instance.
    I never assume a mortgage. That is my preference, others will have their preference.

     

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.