Chicago Zoning

Chicago Zoning

Brie SchmidtBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes

We bought a property located in the city limits of Chicago - It is a grandfathered 2 flat located in B3-2 (Community shopping - destination oriented, no limit on size of commercial establishment. Allows dwelling units above ground floor. )

When we bought it is was partially converted to a SFH - so we went through hell with the appraisal. We would like to get the zoning changed to make it a legal SFH and complete the interior conversion (basically making the 2nd unit living/dining into bedrooms)

Does anybody know if I need an attorney or if I can just submit a zoning change request with the city? The only reason for the change is because we want it, do I have to prove it is "better for the community"

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

0Reply
18 views

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Financial Advisor · Lexington, KY · Member since 2012 · 150 posts · 66 votes
    12y

    I've bookmarked this for a while now, but I haven't sorted through it in its entirety.

    http://www.cityofchicago.org/dam/city/depts/zlup/Administrative_Reviews_and_Approvals/Publications/Zoning_Amendment_Application_5-16-11.pdf

    From a quick glance, the application fee was $1000 just to apply. Additionally, I believe you need all property owners within a certain radius of your property to sign off on it. However, I couldn't imagine any neighbor signing off on a SFH to multi-family conversion.

    Let us know how you make out. I'm very interested in hearing more about this. Good luck!

  • Brie SchmidtBusiness Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    12y

    Thanks - That is all I have found so far too. It would be a MF to SFH conversion actually - it has been lived in as a SFH for 30 years just not legally

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Louisville, KY · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Call your alderman (where the house is). They can often steer you right.

  • Brie SchmidtBusiness Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    12y

    Thanks @Jonathan Pliszka and @Eric M.

    I reached out to the alderman and a attorney to see what we need to do.

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 710 posts · 200 votes
    12y

    Yes, going from a Multi Property to a Single Family shouldn't be too hard.

    What ward are you located in?

  • Brie SchmidtBusiness Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    12y

    @John Weidner it is in the 47th - North Center. I spoke with them and they said technically it would be going commercial to residential. Might be difficult

  • Real Estate Agent · Mokena, IL · Member since 2011 · 89 posts · 63 votes
    12y

    Here's an attorney who might be able to help:

    Namit Bammi

    312-952-7733

    [email protected]

  • Real Estate Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 218 votes
    12y

    Just saw this thread. Wow, the 47th ward. I had many a dealings with former Alderman Schulter there. Now the youngest alderman is there. I think he is like 32 or 33 years old. Ameya Pawar is there. That can be good or bad.

    Hey may be eager to help people out in his Ward to improve it and put his stamp on things before he is up for re-election, or he may not have the pull to sway things to change. But dealing with the Alderman is a MUST in Chicago to get things done. They do wield power still. Burke still has the largest power base in the city.

  • Brie SchmidtBusiness Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    12y

    Thanks @Account Closed - We have talked with Ameya and it seems a commercial to residential change would not be likely. But he actually provided us a workaround that may be able to give us what we want and not need a complete zoning change.

  • Real Estate Investor · WI · Member since 2013 · 125 posts · 33 votes
    12y

    I don't know how it is now, but years ago Your precinct captain was the way to go. They were the Alderman's "Boots on the ground" and could be quite "Helpful"

    John

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.