Real estate website idea?

Real estate website idea?

Sharad M.Pro Member
Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes

Hello all,

My goal with my business is for it to keep running smoothly without any continuing supervision, so I am always working on creating new and better systems and processes for my business and I was thinking of creating a website to systemize some basic items.

For example, a website that will have a list of all the due diligence items from the time you start looking at the property to the point you get the property move in ready for your tenants.

Due diligence will be divided in three basic parts: Purchasing a property, Repairing a property and Renting a property.

I currently manage all these things on excel and word documents and thought it might be a good idea to have a website that can centralize everything. I was just curious if this is something other real estate investors will also find helpful?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

0Reply
10 views

Most Popular Reply

Wholesaler · Westminster, CO · Member since 2014 · 309 posts · 104 votes
12y

I would find it very helpful. Instead of just lists it should be something interactive and intuitive. For example, instead of do A B C in order; do A before B but if C is already done then B isn't need. I am maybe not explaining my idea very well but something similar to the way you can make excel cells interact or instruct other cells, each item and each list should interact with each other.

See this reply in the discussion

19 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Wholesaler · Westminster, CO · Member since 2014 · 309 posts · 104 votes
    12y

    I would find it very helpful. Instead of just lists it should be something interactive and intuitive. For example, instead of do A B C in order; do A before B but if C is already done then B isn't need. I am maybe not explaining my idea very well but something similar to the way you can make excel cells interact or instruct other cells, each item and each list should interact with each other.

  • Sharad M.Pro Member
    OP
    Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    @Brian L. thanks for your tip. I think I understand what you are talking about. That's kind of what I am planning to do.

    I think I might not have explained my idea really well in my post. It's in my mind and I can picture it, but it's hard to explain it in a post.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    12y

    How specifically do you see the website being better than an Excel spreadsheet?

  • Real Estate Investor · Member since 2013 · 866 posts · 487 votes
    12y

    @Sharad M.,

    Any decent PM or CRM software would give you the ability to not only document your list but create a workflow to manage or enforce it.

    What do you find limiting about the way you do this now that has you thinking about wanting it on-line?

  • Sharad M.Pro Member
    OP
    Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    @J Scott Some of the benefits:

    A website will be more intuitive than an excel spreadsheet. A website will have the ability to add pictures and videos of the project. I was also thinking of adding a lease that someone can fill on the website and just print for signatures.

    Thoughts?

  • Sharad M.Pro Member
    OP
    Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    @Duncan Taylor

    PM software generally covers items from the point a property is move in ready. For example, Buildium. My website idea is to systemize the processes that involve due diligence from the time you start looking at a property to the time you get it move in ready.

    Can you give me some examples of CRM softwares geared towards RE investors? May be there's already one out there that I don't know of.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Sharad M.:

    A website will be more intuitive than an excel spreadsheet. A website will have the ability to add pictures and videos of the project. I was also thinking of adding a lease that someone can fill on the website and just print for signatures.

    Rarely does anything in this business go smoothly, so flexibility is the key feature I look for in a software product. That's why I like Excel -- I can start with a template and customize a version for each project.

    But, everyone is different, and if you think a website would be a better choice for you, go for it...I'd be interested in seeing what you come up with.

  • Real Estate Broker · Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 187 posts · 111 votes
    12y

    I think it's a great idea. I've often toyed with the idea of something similar to use in-house and eventually turn into an application. It would be more geared toward transaction management for realtors and project management for investors.In a list format that you'd check off items based on some general pre-sets, which you could add to. Basically what I now do in Excel, but automated to a functional timeline.

    Once completed the list would then pre-populate to a calendar and basically have user and/or system defined alerts, which could of course be modified by user. In a perfect world you'd agree to partner with the big box stores or maybe even Angie's List ( for contractors and for advertisements), to monetize the application.

    Based on what task you've selected you'd receive offers for contractors, Home Depot/Lowes discounts, various coupons, etc. or you could pay a small fee and not have the ads and just use the app for transaction/project management.

  • Sharad M.Pro Member
    OP
    Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    @Ann Watkins Thank you for your feedback. Much appreciated.

    I am going to be discussing these with my web developer to see what we can make of this idea.

  • Real Estate Broker · Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 187 posts · 111 votes
    12y

    @Sharad M.

    Yes! Make it happen. I would be willing to contribute any checklist I have or have used in the past. If you keep it general with drop downs for users to add new fields any realtor or investor anywhere can use it.

    I do BPOs for the banks and for one client there is a function where you can maintain your library of HOAs (contact information, fees, schedule, amenities paid for) you could do something similar for users to populate their individual mandates for particular locations (County permits and cost, heating type which varies by location, etc)

  • Sharad M.Pro Member
    OP
    Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    @Ann Watkins

    Thank you for your support and your offer to contribute. I will be taking you up on that offer once I decide to move forward. Your experience and contribution will be invaluable.

  • Real Estate Broker · Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 187 posts · 111 votes
    12y

    @Sharad M.

    Sure thing! You have all my contact information, so feel free to call me anytime.

  • Wholesaler · Whippany, NJ · Member since 2009 · 412 posts · 183 votes
    12y

    As @J Scott mentioned, it is going to be tough because every deal/rehab/etc is going to be different. Sure you can come up with a general template on how and when everything should be accomplished but that will only serve as a guideline.

    If you were to put in exceptions, if this is done, then do that. If that is done then do this...I think it will be impossible to cover most scenarios and keep the webpage simple. Keeping it simple will be the hardest part I think.

    I think it can be done and if your vision is to create a SAAS product then it could be worth the effort. If you are just creating it for yourself, probably now.

    Just my 2cents. Ill definitely take a look at it when you finish it up.

  • Chris K.Pro Member
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 655 votes
    12y

    Is this something for just you or are you going to make it a paid service for others as well? If it's just for your personal use I feel like that's quite a big effort for something that can be easily accomplished using google docs.

  • Sharad M.Pro Member
    OP
    Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    @Scott Costello Thanks for your feedback. All very good points. I am in the process of gathering all the information and discussing with my web developer to see what's feasible and what's not.

    @Chris K. Good question. The idea came from creating a website around the systems and processes I have created, but eventually the goal would be to make it a paid service. I have to do a cost/benefit analysis to see whether this is feasible or not.

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    Have you looked to see if there are any websites out there that already do what you're wanting? We are builder/brokers. We are going to begin using Co-Construct to manage our construction projects. As brokers that belong to CAR (California Association of Realtors) we have access to Zipforms, which has all the forms for the real estate part of transactions, etc.

    There are many website templates that allow you to create your own forms, or have them available for website visitors to download, etc. Also, with Adobe anything can be made into an editable form, or set up for e signatures, etc.

    You probably can use what's already out there, rather than re-inventing the wheel. At the same time, many people have become wealthy finding an easier, better way to do things! Good luck.

  • Sharad M.Pro Member
    OP
    Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    @Karen Margrave Thank you for that great information. As always, very insightful.

    Co-Construct appears to be geared more towards new construction, custom built and my website will be geared more towards landlords.

    While I understand exactly what you mean, but I don't necessarily agree with that thought process, because if everyone thought that way than there will be no competition and monopoly for everything.

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    @Sharad M. That's true to a certain extent. The question is, are you working on becoming a real estate investor, software developer, or both? Obviously there are always going to be places where programs can be improved, created, etc., and if that's your vision, go for it!

  • Sharad M.Pro Member
    OP
    Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    @Karen Margrave

    I will not be developing this software myself. I do not have any computer background, so the software development part will be done by someone else.

    That's the analysis I am doing right now to see if the idea that I have adds enough value to make it worth the time, effort and cost.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.