Looking for Consolidation Loan Recommendations - LOW APR

Looking for Consolidation Loan Recommendations - LOW APR

Brandalyn DolanPro Member
Investor · FL · Member since 2021 · 8 posts · 3 votes

Hello hello!  I hope everyone is doing fabulous!!  My name is Brandalyn and I am a new investor in Florida.  This is my first post. lol.  

I need some help!  And I am the first person to tell you its OK to ask for help but the last to ask!  So I'm asking.  

I have a 700+ credit score! I have over 40k in credit and only approximately an $8k balance ($4k at 0%) which I share with my partner. I have approximately a $12k balance at a 10% APR for a car loan and a $16k balance on a personal loan that was originally $22.5k at a 14% APR.

I am trying to lower my DTI and have done a couple soft pulls for a consolidation loan to consolidate what is left of the car loan and the personal loan, but so far the lowest APR is 18%!! WHYYY!

Does anyone have any recommendations??  Would a credit union be lower?  I want to pay this debt off ASAP to improve my current financial position and limit my bad debt... Am I just being impatient??  

I guess I should also mention that we just had an offer accepted for our FIRST house hack!!  I am freaking out just a little and want do whatever I can to make this happen..  (I also know I cannot apply for a loan once I have applied for the mortgage loan, which I am doing within the next 5 days).  Any advice is appreciated and your kindness is also MUCH APPRECIATED, thank you!!

1Reply
8 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Brandalyn Dolan:

    Hello hello!  I hope everyone is doing fabulous!!  My name is Brandalyn and I am a new investor in Florida.  This is my first post. lol.  

    I need some help!  And I am the first person to tell you its OK to ask for help but the last to ask!  So I'm asking.  

    I have a 700+ credit score! I have over 40k in credit and only approximately an $8k balance ($4k at 0%) which I share with my partner. I have approximately a $12k balance at a 10% APR for a car loan and a $16k balance on a personal loan that was originally $22.5k at a 14% APR.

    I am trying to lower my DTI and have done a couple soft pulls for a consolidation loan to consolidate what is left of the car loan and the personal loan, but so far the lowest APR is 18%!! WHYYY!

    Does anyone have any recommendations??  Would a credit union be lower?  I want to pay this debt off ASAP to improve my current financial position and limit my bad debt... Am I just being impatient??  

    I guess I should also mention that we just had an offer accepted for our FIRST house hack!!  I am freaking out just a little and want do whatever I can to make this happen..  (I also know I cannot apply for a loan once I have applied for the mortgage loan, which I am doing within the next 5 days).  Any advice is appreciated and your kindness is also MUCH APPRECIATED, thank you!!


     I would not consolidate what I would do it pay down that 14% loan ASAP and then the car loan. If your credit is 700+ why is your car loan above 10%?

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Brandalyn DolanPro Member
    OP
    Investor · FL · Member since 2021 · 8 posts · 3 votes
    1y

    Hi Chris!  Thank you for responding.  The car loan is just under 10%, but It was my first car loan, and my brother and I purchased it together.  

  • Lender · St. Augustine, FL · Member since 2015 · 120 posts · 26 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Brandalyn Dolan:

    Hello hello!  I hope everyone is doing fabulous!!  My name is Brandalyn and I am a new investor in Florida.  This is my first post. lol.  

    I need some help!  And I am the first person to tell you its OK to ask for help but the last to ask!  So I'm asking.  

    I have a 700+ credit score! I have over 40k in credit and only approximately an $8k balance ($4k at 0%) which I share with my partner. I have approximately a $12k balance at a 10% APR for a car loan and a $16k balance on a personal loan that was originally $22.5k at a 14% APR.

    I am trying to lower my DTI and have done a couple soft pulls for a consolidation loan to consolidate what is left of the car loan and the personal loan, but so far the lowest APR is 18%!! WHYYY!

    Does anyone have any recommendations??  Would a credit union be lower?  I want to pay this debt off ASAP to improve my current financial position and limit my bad debt... Am I just being impatient??  

    I guess I should also mention that we just had an offer accepted for our FIRST house hack!!  I am freaking out just a little and want do whatever I can to make this happen..  (I also know I cannot apply for a loan once I have applied for the mortgage loan, which I am doing within the next 5 days).  Any advice is appreciated and your kindness is also MUCH APPRECIATED, thank you!!


     Welcome to the BP community and thank you for asking for help, that is what the community is all about!

    It may be helpful to start looking at it from a "risk to the lender" perspective, it will help you understand interest rate pricing a lot more. In general, the less risk to the person/business lending the money, the lower the rate will be. If the debt is secured by an asset, it is less risky than an unsecured debt. One of the reasons why mortgages are typically lower rate than other debt instruments is because it is backed by an appreciating asset. Also why, even though a car loan is secured by the car, that is a depreciating asset, so there is additional risk to the lender. I would assume the consolidation loan you are looking at getting to replace the car and personal loan, is unsecured. I am also assuming your personal loan is unsecured, and while that is at 14%, I would bet you got that loan when the benchmark interest rates were lower and the similar loan today would be near your 18% one. 

    Where are you sourcing the funds using to purchase the house hack? Unless using a VA loan or down payment assistance, you will at least be putting 3% down and potentially closing costs. If DTI is your only limiting factor for the purchase, you may be better off using that cash to pay off the loans, and then either work into the contract a higher purchase amount (if there is room for appraisal) and and get seller concessions to take care of closing costs. From there, you may be able to get the down payment in the form of a gift form a family member.

    There are dozens of possible ways to handle it, but it may just require time. If you want to connect some time and have a conversation, I woul dbe happy to do so. 

    Good luck!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.