Knowledge 1031/Seller Fiance Accountant needed!

Knowledge 1031/Seller Fiance Accountant needed!

Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 1 vote

Hello BP family!I am so grateful for this forum. I am in the market for a new Accountant who is knowledgeable about 1031 exchange, "STR loophole ", and seller finance. I know that a tall order. I am based in NY but property held is in FL and TN. Please post your referrals. Thank you in advance!

1Reply
12 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Bill HamptonBusiness Member
    Accredited Investment Fiduciary, AIF®, Financial Planner, Tax Strategist, Real Estate Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 977 votes
    1y

    @Michelle Gillespie

    You came to the right place. Bigger Pockets is a great place to find an accountant specializing in real estate taxation.

    A good real estate accountant can save you thousands of dollars by leveraging entity selection and formation, tax deductions, cost segregations, bonus depreciation, 1031 exchanges and tax planning.

    I recommend finding an accountant specializing in real estate taxation, business taxation, financial planning and tax planning.

    Consider working with your accountant remotely to expand your options.

    I would also recommend looking for an accountant willing to work with you throughout the year. You want an accountant who can help you strategize and who is responsive when you want to know the consequences of the financial decisions you are making throughout the year.

    Good luck.

    Hampton Tax and Financial Services LLC4.7106 Reviews
  • Mohamed YoussefBusiness Member
    Accountant · Brea, CA · Member since 2018 · 118 posts · 62 votes
    1y

    Hi @Michelle Gillespie

    You can search for real estate CPAs using Biggerpockets search and team building tool here https://www.biggerpockets.com/business/finder/tax-and-financ...

  • CPA| New Clients Welcome| 50 States · Member since 2016 · 440 posts · 93 votes
    1y

    @Michelle Gillespie, hi. 

    You’ve definitely come to the right place!

    It's not a tall order at all if you're working with a CPA who truly understands real estate strategy. The 1031 exchange, STR loophole, and seller financing each come with unique tax nuances, especially when you're investing across multiple states like Florida and Tennessee while being based in New York.

    As a CPA active in the real estate space, I work with investors navigating exactly these kinds of multi-state strategies. If you’d like to explore how to align your tax planning with your investing goals, I’d be happy to connect or answer any questions. Wishing you continued success!

    Wishing you continued success



    Wishing you continued success



    Wishing you continued success

  • Real Estate Agent · Nashville, TN · Member since 2025 · 126 posts · 62 votes
    1y

    Hey! I’m based in Tennessee as well—happy to connect and share what I know.

    While I'm not an accountant myself, I've worked with a few professionals familiar with 1031 exchanges, STR tax treatment, and seller financing strategies. If you'd like, I can send over a couple referrals I've had good experiences with.

    Let me know how you'd like to connect!

  • Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    1y

    sure! please send over any CPA referrals.

    Thank you

  • Aaron ZimmermanBusiness Member
    Accountant · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    There's a lot of great CPAs on here. I'd recommend reaching out to a few or even contacting investors at local meetups. Otherwise, there's a finder on biggerpockets. 

    I would also recommend talking with a cpa before doing the 1031 exchange. There may be some other options you're not considering. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.