New Member Looking for Connections and Mentors

New Member Looking for Connections and Mentors

Member since 2025 · 1 post · 0 votes

Hello everyone! I just joined the BiggerPockets forum and have been listening to the podcasts and read a few of Brandon Turner's books. I know the majority of the basics and a lot of the tax workarounds already as a big part of my degree in Finance was Real Estate Finance. I am 22 and looking to purchase my first owner-occupied rental property next year. I would appreciate some tips on exploring various opportunities and evaluating them effectively. I just moved to the Tampa, Florida area and would love to explore the possibilities here!

0Reply
24 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · OR · Member since 2025 · 53 posts · 2 votes
    1y

    Hi Joshua Girard! Welcome to BiggerPockets, and congrats on diving into real estate so
    early! Tampa is a great market with lots of potential. Since you’re looking at owner-occupied rentals, having flexible financing options can really help you move fast when the right opportunity comes along. If you want to chat or get some guidance tailored to your goals, feel free to reach out. Happy to connect and help you explore Tampa’s possibilities!

  • Jorge VazquezBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Tampa, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 688 votes
    1y

    Hey Joshua, welcome to Tampa and to the BiggerPockets community! You're way ahead of the game at 22 with that finance background—that’s going to help you a ton.

    I’ve been investing here in Tampa for over 20 years, and I’ve helped a lot of folks get into their first owner-occupied rental (especially using strategies like house hacking or creative financing). If you ever want to talk through opportunities or need help evaluating deals in the area, I’m happy to share what I know.

    Graystone Investment Group517 Reviews
  • Terrance HillPro Member
    Realtor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2010 · 425 posts · 117 votes
    1y

    Hey Joshua, welcome to BiggerPockets and congrats on diving into real estate with a strong finance background — that’s a huge advantage!

    Since you’re aiming for your first owner-occupied rental, here are a few tips to keep in mind:

    1. Know Your Numbers: Use consistent metrics like cash flow, cap rate, and cash-on-cash return to evaluate deals objectively. BiggerPockets has great calculators that make this easier.
    2. Leverage Owner-Occupied Loan Programs: If you qualify, FHA or VA loans can lower your upfront costs and improve your financing terms.
    3. Start Small and Learn: Your first deal might not be perfect, but it will teach you lessons no book or podcast can.
    4. Build Your Network: Connect with local investors, realtors, and lenders through meetups or online forums to find mentors and collaborators.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.