Looking for NJ House Hack-Friendly Towns with Easy NYC Commute

Looking for NJ House Hack-Friendly Towns with Easy NYC Commute

Member since 2023 · 4 posts · 4 votes

Hey everyone! I’m planning to house hack after I graduate from college next spring, but I’m having a bit of trouble narrowing down which areas in New Jersey to focus on.

A little background: I’ll be working in Manhattan, and I’m looking for a city or town in NJ that would be a good fit for house hacking. I’m specifically looking for a duplex or triplex in the $500K–$700K range, though I’m open to going up to $800K if the numbers make sense.

I’ll be house hacking with my parents, and they’ll also be commuting into NYC, so access to reliable public transit is a must. Owning three separate cars just wouldn’t be financially realistic along with a mortgage.

I'd also love to connect with any local realtors who are familiar with multi-family properties and can help with the search, as well as any lender recommendations for FHA loans.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or connections!

3Reply
47 views

Most Popular Reply

Shawn McenteerBusiness Member
Realtor · Boonton Township, NJ · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
1y
Quote from @Jake Yuskaitis:

I live in NJ and i honestly would not recommend doing this in NJ. I think you'd be much better off investing in rentals in PA and renting while living in NJ.

will also allow your lifestyle to be flexible to go where the money goes in terms of career trajectory.


 I could not disagree more.  I live in NJ, have been investing for over 10 years, leveraging house hacking strategy for myself and dozens of clients each year.  When doing an apples to apple comparison of what it take to purchase out of state compared to what it cost to house hack in state and advise someone to leave the area they are in and go out of state is wild to me.  From the down payment and owner occupied loan options alone this advice is backwards on top of this you are suggestion they rent in NJ?   

House Hacking New Jersey563 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jake YuskaitisBusiness Member
    Lender · New Jersey, USA · Member since 2022 · 254 posts · 67 votes
    1y

    I live in NJ and i honestly would not recommend doing this in NJ. I think you'd be much better off investing in rentals in PA and renting while living in NJ.

    will also allow your lifestyle to be flexible to go where the money goes in terms of career trajectory.

    • Shawn McenteerBusiness Member
      Realtor · Boonton Township, NJ · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Jake Yuskaitis:

      I live in NJ and i honestly would not recommend doing this in NJ. I think you'd be much better off investing in rentals in PA and renting while living in NJ.

      will also allow your lifestyle to be flexible to go where the money goes in terms of career trajectory.


       I could not disagree more.  I live in NJ, have been investing for over 10 years, leveraging house hacking strategy for myself and dozens of clients each year.  When doing an apples to apple comparison of what it take to purchase out of state compared to what it cost to house hack in state and advise someone to leave the area they are in and go out of state is wild to me.  From the down payment and owner occupied loan options alone this advice is backwards on top of this you are suggestion they rent in NJ?   

      House Hacking New Jersey563 Reviews
    • Member since 2023 · 4 posts · 4 votes
      1y

      @Jake Yuskaitis this isn't even in the realm of what is financially possible for me and my family unfortunately. Rent in my area (not a nice area) is $2k and up, dealing with that and a mortgage just doesn't seem like the smart thing for me to do. Regardless I am greatful you took the time to reply!

    • Jake YuskaitisBusiness Member
      Lender · New Jersey, USA · Member since 2022 · 254 posts · 67 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Shawn Mcenteer:
      Quote from @Jake Yuskaitis:

      I live in NJ and i honestly would not recommend doing this in NJ. I think you'd be much better off investing in rentals in PA and renting while living in NJ.

      will also allow your lifestyle to be flexible to go where the money goes in terms of career trajectory.


       I could not disagree more.  I live in NJ, have been investing for over 10 years, leveraging house hacking strategy for myself and dozens of clients each year.  When doing an apples to apple comparison of what it take to purchase out of state compared to what it cost to house hack in state and advise someone to leave the area they are in and go out of state is wild to me.  From the down payment and owner occupied loan options alone this advice is backwards on top of this you are suggestion they rent in NJ?   

      I don't suggest anyone own long term rental in NJ. The laws are not in favor of the landlord.
    • Shawn McenteerBusiness Member
      Realtor · Boonton Township, NJ · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Jake Yuskaitis:
      Quote from @Shawn Mcenteer:
      Quote from @Jake Yuskaitis:

      I live in NJ and i honestly would not recommend doing this in NJ. I think you'd be much better off investing in rentals in PA and renting while living in NJ.

      will also allow your lifestyle to be flexible to go where the money goes in terms of career trajectory.


       I could not disagree more.  I live in NJ, have been investing for over 10 years, leveraging house hacking strategy for myself and dozens of clients each year.  When doing an apples to apple comparison of what it take to purchase out of state compared to what it cost to house hack in state and advise someone to leave the area they are in and go out of state is wild to me.  From the down payment and owner occupied loan options alone this advice is backwards on top of this you are suggestion they rent in NJ?   

      I don't suggest anyone own long term rental in NJ. The laws are not in favor of the landlord.

       I am over 10 years in; I have collected every payment of rent and never had to evict a tenant.  Was the same for my mentors and their mentors.  Of my clients it is extremely rare to run into situation where tenants are the issue or rent is not collected.   

      When you truly know and understand the laws in New Jersey, investing becomes very easy with very little hassle. 

      House Hacking New Jersey563 Reviews
    • Jake YuskaitisBusiness Member
      Lender · New Jersey, USA · Member since 2022 · 254 posts · 67 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Shawn Mcenteer:
      Quote from @Jake Yuskaitis:
      Quote from @Shawn Mcenteer:
      Quote from @Jake Yuskaitis:

      I live in NJ and i honestly would not recommend doing this in NJ. I think you'd be much better off investing in rentals in PA and renting while living in NJ.

      will also allow your lifestyle to be flexible to go where the money goes in terms of career trajectory.


       I could not disagree more.  I live in NJ, have been investing for over 10 years, leveraging house hacking strategy for myself and dozens of clients each year.  When doing an apples to apple comparison of what it take to purchase out of state compared to what it cost to house hack in state and advise someone to leave the area they are in and go out of state is wild to me.  From the down payment and owner occupied loan options alone this advice is backwards on top of this you are suggestion they rent in NJ?   

      I don't suggest anyone own long term rental in NJ. The laws are not in favor of the landlord.

       I am over 10 years in; I have collected every payment of rent and never had to evict a tenant.  Was the same for my mentors and their mentors.  Of my clients it is extremely rare to run into situation where tenants are the issue or rent is not collected.   

      When you truly know and understand the laws in New Jersey, investing becomes very easy with very little hassle. 

      sure it can be done. but why when states with better landlord laws exist?
  • Kristen AmbroseBusiness Member
    Accountant · FL · Member since 2024 · 78 posts · 34 votes
    1y

    Hey, I actually started my real estate journey by house hacking in West Long Branch, NJ.

    West Long Branch isn’t the first place most people think of for house hacking, but it worked well for me. It has a quiet, suburban feel and the train from Long Branch goes straight into the city. The commute is longer, but it was worth it for a more affordable multi-family.

    I was able to buy a property with multiple units that helped cover most of my housing costs. That gave me room to save and plan for my next deal.

    If you’re open to other areas, you might also want to check out Bayonne, Rahway, Linden, or Orange. They have more multi-family options and good train access to NYC.

    Let me know if you want an intro to the realtor and lender I worked with. Both were great with FHA and understood what I was trying to do as an investor.

  • Real Estate Agent · NC · Member since 2025 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    1y

    Hey Max! NJ is a great place to invest and house hack. Would be happy to help in anyway I can!

    • Real Estate Agent · NC · Member since 2025 · 5 posts · 3 votes
      1y

      @Connor Sterphone I am a Nj real estate agent, I've invested in Nj and I am also a mortgage banker. I love finding deals haha hit me up

  • Shawn McenteerBusiness Member
    Realtor · Boonton Township, NJ · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    @Jake Yuskaitis

    Reason investing in NJ when you work and live locally over OOS:

    -You need a place to live, house hack instead of renting

    -low money down loans, $50k can get you $1m property owner occupying 

    -owner occupied interest rates

    -no property management needed

    -you live in the property that is your asset (you know the ins and out)

    -Historically NJ Appreciated much higher than most markets around the nation 

    -Rent increases year over year have potential to be large

    -very low vacancy

    -NJ land lording laws are tough for people who do no know the laws

    House Hacking New Jersey563 Reviews
    • Jake YuskaitisBusiness Member
      Lender · New Jersey, USA · Member since 2022 · 254 posts · 67 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Shawn Mcenteer:

      @Jake Yuskaitis

      Reason investing in NJ when you work and live locally over OOS:

      -You need a place to live, house hack instead of renting

      -low money down loans, $50k can get you $1m property owner occupying 

      -owner occupied interest rates

      -no property management needed

      -you live in the property that is your asset (you know the ins and out)

      -Historically NJ Appreciated much higher than most markets around the nation 

      -Rent increases year over year have potential to be large

      -very low vacancy

      -NJ land lording laws are tough for people who do no know the laws


       I'd say even knowing the laws they are still tough because there are states with much better laws. I do think house hacking can be viable in NJ though in certain contexts.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.