Divorce Appraisals for Houston, TX area (Tomball)

Divorce Appraisals for Houston, TX area (Tomball)

Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2017 · 16 posts · 1 vote

Hi All,

I have 2 rental properties in the Houston area (Tomball, TX) that were purchased before the marriage. 


I am looking for tips or professional recommendations that can help me estimate the separate value for each so it can be considered by the court during asset division in Colorado.


Thank you!

0Reply
64 views

Most Popular Reply

William WhitleyBusiness Member
Accountant · TN · Member since 2025 · 144 posts · 91 votes
11mo

I have a Certified General Real Estate Appraiser’s license (just not in Texas). I don’t do appraisals anymore, but I used to complete them for a variety of purposes — including divorce cases.

I’d definitely start by talking with your attorney. In most divorce situations, an appraisal is needed to establish market value, but before hiring an appraiser, make sure you know what effective date the appraisal should reflect. That date determines the market conditions your property will be valued under, and it’s usually set by the court or agreed upon by both parties.

Your legal counsel can point you in the right direction on that piece before you move forward with the appraisal. You might also reach out to a few local certified appraisers in the Houston area — most should be familiar with divorce-related work and can explain what the process looks like in Texas. Best of luck getting everything sorted out smoothly.

Accountable Balance Bookkeeping, LLC
See this reply in the discussion

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Houston · Member since 2025 · 9 posts · 1 vote
    11mo

    Hello sir, I do not know a lot about divorce proceedings but If you are looking for new investment opportunities I can help you find the right property!!

  • Property Manager · Houston TX · Member since 2025 · 20 posts · 11 votes
    11mo
    Quote from @Sergey Busygin:

    Hi All,

    I have 2 rental properties in the Houston area (Tomball, TX) that were purchased before the marriage. 


    I am looking for tips or professional recommendations that can help me estimate the separate value for each so it can be considered by the court during asset division in Colorado.


    Thank you!


    I'd imagine a real estate appraiser would be able to provide the professional assessment you're looking for. I'm not an attorney, so can't say for certain what the court would need - but I'd imagine they'd take an official appraisal report over a realtor's CMA for true value.

  • William WhitleyBusiness Member
    Accountant · TN · Member since 2025 · 144 posts · 91 votes
    11mo

    I have a Certified General Real Estate Appraiser’s license (just not in Texas). I don’t do appraisals anymore, but I used to complete them for a variety of purposes — including divorce cases.

    I’d definitely start by talking with your attorney. In most divorce situations, an appraisal is needed to establish market value, but before hiring an appraiser, make sure you know what effective date the appraisal should reflect. That date determines the market conditions your property will be valued under, and it’s usually set by the court or agreed upon by both parties.

    Your legal counsel can point you in the right direction on that piece before you move forward with the appraisal. You might also reach out to a few local certified appraisers in the Houston area — most should be familiar with divorce-related work and can explain what the process looks like in Texas. Best of luck getting everything sorted out smoothly.

    Accountable Balance Bookkeeping, LLC
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.