How do you evaluate Hold vs Refi vs Sell vs 1031 decisions?

How do you evaluate Hold vs Refi vs Sell vs 1031 decisions?

Investor · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2016 · 84 posts · 11 votes

Hi, I’ve been building a structured framework to compare rental property options:

• Keep as-is
• Refinance (no cash out)
• Refinance (cash out)
• Sell (taxable)
• 1031 exchange

It consolidates cash flow impact, equity efficiency, and tax trade-offs into one analysis.

I’m testing it with 5 rental investors in exchange for feedback.

If anyone is open to sharing a property scenario, comment below or message me and I’ll reach out.

Curious how others here structure these decisions. Thank you.

0Reply
48 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Erik EstradaBusiness Member
    Lender · Member since 2022 · 6k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7mo

    Hey Cesar, 

    These are all very different strategies. What is your ultimate goal here? 

    LuxePrivate Investments LLC 572 Reviews
    • Investor · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2016 · 84 posts · 11 votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Erik Estrada:

      Hey Cesar, 

      These are all very different strategies. What is your ultimate goal here? 

      Totally agree, that’s exactly why I’m modeling it. Each strategy optimizes for something different (liquidity vs long-term equity growth vs tax efficiency). I’m trying to frame it less as “which is best?” and more as “which aligns with the investor’s objective.” Curious how you typically guide that decision? Thanks.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.