GC recommendations — Fishtown rowhouse flip, full renovation

Philadelphia, PennsylvaniaWantProfessionalsContractor
Classifieds

GC recommendations — Fishtown rowhouse flip, full renovation

Member since 2026 · 1 post · 1 vote

Hey BP Philadelphia,

Looking for GC recommendations from people who have actually used someone on a Fishtown investor flip in the last couple of years — not just a homeowner remodel.

Scope is a full renovation of a 3-story 1920s brick rowhouse. Full systems replacement — electrical, plumbing, HVAC — plus kitchen, baths, flooring, cosmetics. Budget in the $80K–$110K range.

Need someone who is Pennsylvania licensed, carries GL and workers' comp, and is comfortable working with hard money draw schedules. Looking to start late May or June.

If you've used someone you'd hire again, drop a name below or DM me. Happy to share what I find in return.

Thanks.

1Reply
105 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 479 posts · 362 votes
5mo

@Pranshu Verma I have a list of Philly vetted contractors that I trust for such a project but no one can do it in that budget if it includes all materials. If you find someone who says they can, they are not honest and you will lose money, time or both. I learned this the hard way. Be careful and if this is your first time. spend a bit on working with someone on a professional realistic scope.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · NJ · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 653 votes
    5mo

    who set the budget?

    It would be hard for a GC to come in and work off of someone else's scope.

    Someone must have filled out the budget template for the loan process.  Did something happen?

  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 479 posts · 362 votes
    5mo

    @Pranshu Verma I have a list of Philly vetted contractors that I trust for such a project but no one can do it in that budget if it includes all materials. If you find someone who says they can, they are not honest and you will lose money, time or both. I learned this the hard way. Be careful and if this is your first time. spend a bit on working with someone on a professional realistic scope.

  • Specialist · NJ · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 653 votes
    5mo

    I was gonna break that bad news to him, but I figure he'd hear the real numbers for all mechanicals and complete cosmetic makeover.  You are closer to 200k than 100k.

  • Alan AsriantsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5mo

    Agreed with everyone here. I Full gut reno will cost you closer to $120/sqft if not more. Sometimes renos are even more challenging and expensive than new construction...

    3 story in fishtown is closer to 1500-2000sqft... 

    I hope a wholesaler didn't pitch this deal to you and undervalued Rehab costs/overvalued ARVs

    I do have a guy I can recommend - feel free to PM me and I can connect you guys 

    Alan Asriants - New Century Real Estate 591 Reviews
    View Page
  • Stuart UdisPro Member
    Attorney · Philadelphia · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5mo

    Without a contractor selected I assume no permit applications have been submitted. You aren't staring in May without permits. Maybe you could have completed this renovation in 2013 for $110K. Now you are likely pushing $200K. Depending on where in Fishtown and finish specs required, possibly more.  Hope your acquisition price wasn't predicated on this being an $80k-$110K renovation. You need someone with a Philadelphia license to obtain your building permit. Separately, a licensed electrician, a licensed plumber and a licensed mechanical contractor for those trade permits. Unless the general contractor has employees, there is no need for workers compensation coverage. The fact you are trying to get this renovation completed for well below market costs yet want a GC who has employees and additional overhead is contradictory. What you need is a GC who is hands on with limited overhead. Not easy to find. Keep in mind, most competent GC's who have both the means and wherewithal are not interested in renovating single family homes for investors who have unreasonable expectations. It's often the same story on repeat. Investor has unreasonable budgets, runs into money problems with underfunded loans. Draws don't cover the contractor's invoice. For this reason, the contractor you want to hire is not interested because they can make more money with less aggravation completing their own projects. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.