Investor · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2026 · 83 posts · 49 votes
Hi everyone,
I'm looking to transition into residential construction and am hoping to connect with a local home builder who may be looking for an Assistant Superintendent or Assistant Project Manager.
While I don't have direct construction experience, I bring several years of leadership experience as a General Manager, where I managed teams, daily operations, and problem-solving in a fast-paced environment. More recently, I've been working in hospitality while continuing to build my own real estate portfolio through rental properties and an Airbnb.
My long-term goal is to build homes, and I want to learn the business the right way by working alongside an experienced builder. I'm not looking for a shortcut—I'm looking for an opportunity to work hard, learn, and grow into a long-term career in residential construction.
I'm based in the Tampa Bay area and would love to connect with builders, developers, or investors who know of companies looking for someone with a strong work ethic, leadership experience, and a willingness to learn.
If you know of any opportunities or have advice on builders who might be a good fit, I'd greatly appreciate the introduction.
Investor · Sarasota FL, USA · Member since 2026 · 8 posts · 6 votes
2mo
Hey Korey,
The easiest way to get your foot in the door is to apply to and reach directly out to any of the bigger production builders (think Lennar, D.R. horton, M/I homes. They usually hire "green" field managers that are onsite daily opening and closing sites. A lot of guys start here. Other option is to get lucky and find a small builder needing a project engineer or assistant super they are willing to train (less and less common these days unless you are fresh out of college with construction degree).
I started out in property management leasing, moved into maintenance coordination and turnover coordination, then got a couple jobs working for smaller pm groups where I managed rehabs and turnovers etc until moving onto the vendor side of things in construction. Thats another avenue to get some experience is a local pm company as field manager walking units, making scopes, coordinating and managing the subs. Those positions typically pay less though. Reach out if you have any specific questions. Pretty much been in and around the industry for past 12 years