Memphis PM Recommendations — Need Strong Leasing/Section 8 Experience

Memphis, TennesseeWantProfessionalsProperty Manager
Classifieds

Memphis PM Recommendations — Need Strong Leasing/Section 8 Experience

Justin DaltonPro Member
Member since 2024 · 29 posts · 25 votes

I own a duplex in Memphis and am currently evaluating my property-management/leasing setup. My biggest priority right now is strong tenant placement and proactive leasing, not just maintenance and rent collection.

I’m especially interested in hearing from owners who personally use a Memphis PM for:

• Duplex/small multifamily properties
• Affordable rentals
• Section 8/HCV tenants
• Strong marketing and tenant-placement results
• Good owner communication

If you’ve had a genuinely good experience with your PM, who are you using and how long does it typically take them to fill a vacancy?

I’m mainly looking for firsthand owner experiences, not advertisements from PM companies themselves.

Thanks!

2Reply
327 views

Most Popular Reply

Drew SygitBusiness Member
Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
3w

He can't recommend himself due to BP self-promotion rules, but check out @James Jones here on the forums.

His posts show he knows the Memphis market well.

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jordan RayBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Memphis, TN · Member since 2023 · 623 posts · 322 votes
    3w
    Quote from @Justin Dalton:

    I own a duplex in Memphis and am currently evaluating my property-management/leasing setup. My biggest priority right now is strong tenant placement and proactive leasing, not just maintenance and rent collection.

    I’m especially interested in hearing from owners who personally use a Memphis PM for:

    • Duplex/small multifamily properties
    • Affordable rentals
    • Section 8/HCV tenants
    • Strong marketing and tenant-placement results
    • Good owner communication

    If you’ve had a genuinely good experience with your PM, who are you using and how long does it typically take them to fill a vacancy?

    I’m mainly looking for firsthand owner experiences, not advertisements from PM companies themselves.

    Thanks!


    Hey Justin! I use RiverTown Realty for my 10 properties and I also highly recommend them to my clients. They are typically filling vacancies between 2 weeks - 2 months depending on location. My properties are usually in good locations and they rent in 30 days or less. Try them out! Happy to connect you with them as well!

    • Justin DaltonPro Member
      OP
      Member since 2024 · 29 posts · 25 votes
      3w

      @Jordan Ray 

      Thanks Jordan, I really appreciate it. If you wouldn’t mind connecting me with whoever you work with at RiverTown, I’d definitely like to have a conversation with them.

      I have a duplex in Memphis with both units currently vacant, so leasing performance is my biggest concern right now. I’d especially like to hear how they handle marketing, tenant placement, and Section 8/HCV properties.

      Thanks again for the recommendation and introduction!

    • Jordan RayBusiness Member
      Real Estate Agent · Memphis, TN · Member since 2023 · 623 posts · 322 votes
      3w
      Quote from @Justin Dalton:

      @Jordan Ray 

      Thanks Jordan, I really appreciate it. If you wouldn’t mind connecting me with whoever you work with at RiverTown, I’d definitely like to have a conversation with them.

      I have a duplex in Memphis with both units currently vacant, so leasing performance is my biggest concern right now. I’d especially like to hear how they handle marketing, tenant placement, and Section 8/HCV properties.

      Thanks again for the recommendation and introduction!


      Absolutely! Feel free to email me and I will introduce you. Email in my signature. Talk soon!

  • Member since 2026 · 230 posts · 35 votes
    3w

    We run an automated system that pulls distressed properties from probate, foreclosure, tax delinquency, and code violation records across live markets Memphis included. Right now we're focused on sourcing off-market deals before they hit the MLS, which tends to surface properties with motivated sellers and sometimes tenant situations that need attention. If you're managing a duplex there and ever want to explore what's moving in the distressed space in Memphis, happy to share what we're tracking.

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    3w

    He can't recommend himself due to BP self-promotion rules, but check out @James Jones here on the forums.

    His posts show he knows the Memphis market well.

  • Mike MoseePro Member
    Investor · Eagle Point, OR · Member since 2011 · 181 posts · 118 votes
    3w
    Quote from @Justin Dalton:

    I own a duplex in Memphis and am currently evaluating my property-management/leasing setup. My biggest priority right now is strong tenant placement and proactive leasing, not just maintenance and rent collection.

    I’m especially interested in hearing from owners who personally use a Memphis PM for:

    • Duplex/small multifamily properties
    • Affordable rentals
    • Section 8/HCV tenants
    • Strong marketing and tenant-placement results
    • Good owner communication

    If you’ve had a genuinely good experience with your PM, who are you using and how long does it typically take them to fill a vacancy?

    I’m mainly looking for firsthand owner experiences, not advertisements from PM companies themselves.

    Thanks!


     Hi Justin,    We've been investing in Memphis for 14 years with great results with Mid South Home Rentals, division of Enterprise Realtors.   Average is 30-60 days to rent homes .  Apartments can take longer.

    Best,

    Mike

    • Justin DaltonPro Member
      OP
      Member since 2024 · 29 posts · 25 votes
      3w

      Thanks Mike, I appreciate that. Since you’ve had such a long track record with Mid South/Enterprise, do you happen to have a specific contact there you’d recommend I reach out to? My property is a duplex with two 2 bed/1 bath units, and I’d mainly like to get another experienced opinion on the current Memphis rental market and whether they manage properties like mine. I’m not necessarily looking to make a management change immediately, just trying to gather solid information before making any decisions.

  • Mike MoseePro Member
    Investor · Eagle Point, OR · Member since 2011 · 181 posts · 118 votes
    3w

    HI Justin

    Chris Peak is part owner/manager of property management division & if he's not available ask for Katie.

    If you wish to talk about specifics you can reach out to me for more information.

    Best,

    Mike

  • Josh HandlerPro Member
    Contractor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2026 · 61 posts · 66 votes
    2w

    Justin, disclosure first since Drew just named him in this thread: James Jones and I are partners in the same company here in Memphis. You and I already talked about that back in August, but everyone else reading should know it too, so treat his name and mine as one recommendation rather than two.

    Which is exactly why I'm going to point you somewhere else.

    The PM I actually refer owners to is 901 Asset Management, and Rosina is the person to ask for at 901-430-0700. Flat monthly rate rather than a percentage, no lease-renewal fees, and no markup on maintenance, meaning you pay the contractor's invoice as written. I have no financial relationship with them. I send people there because the no-markup piece removes the thing that quietly costs owners the most, and because on a two-unit that flat structure usually beats a percentage.

    Now the part I think matters more than which PM you pick, and I say this as somebody who owns around 70 doors here rather than as a manager.

    Both units vacant is a different problem than choosing a manager, and swapping managers won't solve it by itself. When a Memphis duplex sits with showings but no applications, it's almost never marketing. It's usually the ninety seconds after someone walks in. A vacant unit with the power off in a Memphis September smells like mildew within a week, and prospects read that as neglect before they've seen a single room. Same with a unit that's clean but visibly unfinished, missing units in the wall sleeves, cabinet doors off, a bathroom that reads unfinished rather than dated. People don't file that as "needs work," they file it as "the landlord isn't done and I'll be chasing him."

    So before you hand two vacant units to any new manager, I'd get the power and water on, walk both units yourself with fresh eyes or have somebody do it for you, and fix whatever makes them feel unfinished rather than merely old. Otherwise you'll change managers, still not lease, and conclude the new PM is bad too.

    On timing, September into October is the back half of the leasing season here. Days on market widen noticeably in November. So the cost of another four weeks of diagnosing is higher right now than it was in June, which argues for fixing the presentation and getting them listed rather than running a long PM search first.

    Ask any PM you interview two questions: what's your average days on market for a 2 bed in this specific zip over the last twelve months, not citywide, and who physically walks the unit before it's listed. The answers separate people fast.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.