How Do You Bookkeep Utility Payment from Tenant (tax purposes)

How Do You Bookkeep Utility Payment from Tenant (tax purposes)

NY · Member since 2021 · 7 posts · 4 votes

Hello all, 

First post here.  I am currently coming to the end of my first year in a house hack and I am checking over my documents and bookkeeping before tax time.  The setup is as follows: 2 family, separate, propane for cooking and heating oil; shared electric (one meter for building); septic and well.  

With regard to the electric, I charge a flat 100 per/month.

I have been using Stessa for bookkeeping purposes.  I have everything tracked through that and a spreadsheet as a redundancy.

My question is: do I label the Income for the 100 per/ month electric charge as rents? I don't see any other applicable place for it.  

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Alex   
   

0Reply
22 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Basit SiddiqiBusiness Member
    Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 8k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y

    @Alex Del

    Taxation when it comes to house-hacking can become very complex.

    To answer your question - Yes, you would include the utilities billed as income.
    You would be eligible for a potential deduction for the actual utilities used by the tenant that you paid for.

  • NY · Member since 2021 · 7 posts · 4 votes
    4y

    @Basit Siddiqi

    Thank you for the reply,

    I keep everything separate when it comes to transactions for the rental unit, hopefully by this coming summer I can transition from a house hack to a fully rented 2 family while I move to the next investment.

    I appreciate your response!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.