Tenants request removing washer with mold

Tenants request removing washer with mold

Investor · OR · Member since 2021 · 15 posts · 11 votes

Hi all, 

I rented my house to a couple last week, since they moved in they keep texting on any issue they see and request and immediate fix. I went there many times during the week and addressed all issues including calling a technician for an issue they raised with regards to the heating system. Yesterday i went there to clear a slow drain in their tub and i was bullied by the female tenant who accused me of putting them in a health risk due to mold in the washer. The washer has some mold spots since it has been standing there unused for a couple of months, i was prepared to clean it but i was screamed at and the female requests me to remove the washer (front load) from the house completely. The original request was to use they own washer and dryer and remove mine and store them in the garage on their own expense, they did not do that and request me to pay for the hauling of theirs and remove the washer from the house completely (refuse to store it in the garage) due to the mold. What would you do?

thanks

3Reply
164 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Laurel, MD · Member since 2016 · 378 posts · 382 votes
4y

@David Eyal You need to lay down the law with her. Send an email and a certified letter, clearly stating that her behavior is not acceptable and it will not be tolerated! If it happens again, you will receive your notice for breach of lease with 30 days to vacate. If you need, get a lawyer and explain it to him/her. They can write a letter to your tenant.

Either way, you have to do this because if you don't, she and other tenants will walk all over you.

See this reply in the discussion

34 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Bonnie LowPro Member
    Lender · Asheville, NC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    You're going to have nothing but problems with this tenant so I sure hope you're on a month to month lease. For future reference, let the tenants supply all non-built in appliances. You provide the hookups, they provide the appliances. We only provide range, dishwasher (depending on the rental) and built in micro-hood if the cabinets are built to accommodate it.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y

    @David Eyal You've heard some great advice. Mine is simple, you need to take charge, or hire a PM....or get out of the RE business entirely....

  • Investor · OR · Member since 2021 · 15 posts · 11 votes
    4y

    I went there yesterday to help them carry their machines upstairs, i know it may sound strange to many of you but i preferred to help them out and be there than to have them carry the machines themselves and damage the property. I also wanted to take the opportunity to make sure they understand this is the last time this behavior is being tolerated. I flipped the switch, should she make another sound, the next step would be a letter to end the lease. 

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y

    You need to stop getting involved and stay away. You could have hired a couple of kids to do the move.....

  • Real Estate Agent · Nashville, TN · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    Folks saying these are high maintenance tenants? I'm not so sure I agree. The issues they called about sound legitimate. Heating not working properly is a legitimate issue. A tub not draining properly is also a legitimate issue.

    ....and if I had mold in a washer I'd be pretty upset and would very much expect a remedy. 

    None of the above are unreasonable requests, and as a landlord I would expect my tenants to ask me to remedy all of the above. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Concord, GA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y

    I've never seen a front load washer that doesn't have mold issues with the door seals. There's things that can be done to mitigate it but it's an extremely common problem. (actually it's mildew, not mold)

    I had a tenant that called me literally every day. (not kidding) about some issue or the other. Stuff like, there's spiders coming out of the wall. I'm on my porch and there's deer in the yard, what should I do? and so forth and so on. When she started complaining about her and her daughter feeling sick from the house, I offered the happy clause and she left. I was thrilled. Tenants in there now haven't made a maintenance call more than once per year for the last 5 years...

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    4y

    Stop right now and tell them clearly this is not the home for them.  They are not happy with it and you are giving them the option to get out of the lease without any penalty.  The house came with a washer and dryer, they knew that when their viewed it and rented it.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y

    Listen to Theresa.....

  • Rental Property Investor · Concord, NC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y

    M2M leases all day long.  You can deal with this stuff immediately. Long term leases only lock the landlord in. Tenants will move when they need to move. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.