How much liability insurance do you require your tenants to have?

How much liability insurance do you require your tenants to have?

Investor · Coconut Creek, FL · Member since 2016 · 23 posts · 13 votes

Currently, I required them to have $100,000 in liability insurance. Would love to know what limits other LL are requiring.                    Property is located in Broward County, FL. 

0Reply
33 views

Most Popular Reply

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
4y

$100,000 is what I require. I think it's pretty standard around the country. 

The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    4y

    $100,000 is what I require. I think it's pretty standard around the country. 

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    I think that's a perfect amount :)

  • Investor · Coconut Creek, FL · Member since 2016 · 23 posts · 13 votes
    4y

    Thanks for your replies! I was wondering if I should increase it.

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2021 · 20 posts · 34 votes
    4y

    @Caryn Seifert

    Do you have your own umbrella policy as backup?

  • Rental Property Investor · Central U. S. A. · Member since 2013 · 296 posts · 149 votes
    4y
    I require that my Tenants have Renters Insurance with personal liability coverage in the amount of $300,000.  When your tenant negligently burns down you $250,000 rental the Landlord and the Landlord's insurance company will be happy to file a claim on the Tenant's Renters Insurance.

    True story:  I just finished re-building a $220,000 rental house due to a fire.  The Tenant negligently caused the fire by weeding the flower bed with a propane torch.  His Renters Insurance paid for the damage; not my insurance.
  • Investor · Coconut Creek, FL · Member since 2016 · 23 posts · 13 votes
    4y

    @John T.

    Wow! I've heard/seen plenty of crazy things but weeding with a propane torch! Sorry, you had to deal with that. I appreciate your input. I will be increasing the amount they are required to carry accordingly for each location. FL $300,000 / OH $100,000. 

    FL is more litigious and house prices are higher (along with just about everything else LOL).

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.