Are there any good opportunities with a 5% cap rate in SoCal?

Are there any good opportunities with a 5% cap rate in SoCal?

New to Real Estate · Canada · Member since 2021 · 10 posts · 0 votes

Hi Everyone,

I’m looking at an investment property in SoCal and I’m noticing very low cap rates. Is this common? Are (Airbnb) short term rentals profitable?

Or is it better to just go with longterm rental options? I’m just shocked how low of return these investments make.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts..

0Reply
31 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles CA + Lake Tahoe, NV and CA · Member since 2021 · 180 posts · 158 votes
    4y

    Yes there are better cap rates than that in Socal. I could send you many that would work if you have realistic ideas on price and an open mind. I've seen north of 30% COC returns on STR's very recently. Socal is a big area. For regulation reasons you need to pick your county wisely.

  • Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2020 · 285 posts · 318 votes
    4y

    @Ari Dehbone here are the areas in SoCal that allow for Non-Owner Occupied short-term rentals (NOO STRs for short):

    • Palm Springs: 36 total stays/yr
    • Fullerton (near Disney Land)
    • Laguna Beach (non-residential zones)
    • Huntington Beach (Sunset Beach area as long as you apply before 3/1/22)
    • Santa Barbara: Inland (NOO in commercial zones and STR-Coastal Zone Historic Overlay Zone), Coastal (NOO unregulated, but court ruling allows for it)
    • Joshua Tree
    • Malibu
    • Big Bear Lake (92315 zip code)
    • Newport Beach (R-1.5, R-2 or RM Zones)

    You'll have to do your research on specific properties for cap rates and cash flow, but these are the areas I would look in. STRs can be extremely profitable if done right, so feel free to DM me if you have any questions. Good luck!

    Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.