What do you charge for pet fees?

What do you charge for pet fees?

Rental Property Investor · West Caldwell, NJ · Member since 2014 · 66 posts · 18 votes

Looking to see what other property owners charge for pet fees and how they structure the fee? Lump sum upfront for the year, monthly payment etc…

1Reply
181 views

Most Popular Reply

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
4y

Deposits are refundable, fees are not.

We charge a traditional deposit, then a monthly increase to the rent based on type of animal and size. Our highest rate is $100 a month which adds up to $1,200 a year. We rarely get a complaint.

We only allow two animals per rental. There are some exceptions, like a 3,000 sq.ft. house on 100 acres.

The only time we charge an up-front fee is if they have owned the animal for less than one year (rescue, puppy, or whatever) or they have a cat. These are high-risk situations so we want to limit them as much as possible. We charge a $300 fee up front and then the monthly rent increase.

Our Animal Addendum makes it clear that the increase is for the full term of the lease. If the pet dies or is given away after three months, the fee remains until the end of the lease and then we can drop it at renewal. Even if a cat is only in the house for three months, the damage may be done, so we charge the full year of increase to protect against that.

The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

51 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2020 · 81 posts · 73 votes
    4y

    I have been charging $250 Nonrefundable pet fee. I only charge it when they move in. If they renew lease. I don't charge the fee again.

  • Realtor · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    @Dmitriy P. this varies quite a bit.  I have my PMs do add an increased deposit on the lease with annual inspections to assess.  The Austin, TX area has a multitude of pet owners so it's a majority of prospective tenants and if the fee is obscene your unit could get passed over. 

  • Investor · Olathe, KS · Member since 2017 · 123 posts · 99 votes
    4y

    @Dmitriy P.

    I charge a $30/month fee per pet . I don’t ask for extra upfront. It has worked out well. If the tenant stays long enough I end up with more money in my pocket than a deposit.

  • Rental Property Investor · West Caldwell, NJ · Member since 2014 · 66 posts · 18 votes
    4y

    @Bryan Noth interesting. Unfortunately, I’m in NJ and here you cannot charge more than 1.5 months for deposit which means, I can’t do a pet deposit as it would be the deposit amount over the month and a half. I visit ATX about twice a year and did notice it’s a very outdoorsie place with many pet owners. For now I can only stick with a monthly pet fee but was trying to see if I can get other idea from other property owners.

  • Realtor · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    @Dmitriy P. wait, the pet deposit alone is 1.5x the gross monthly rent?  Or the deposit and pet deposit combined has to be under 1.5x the gross monthly rent?

  • Rental Property Investor · West Caldwell, NJ · Member since 2014 · 66 posts · 18 votes
    4y

    @Bryan Noth the total tenant deposit cannot exceed 1.5 months rent. So while I collect the 1.5 months security deposit, I cannot collect a pet deposit on top of that. So as for right now, I can only charge a monthly pet fee which I’m ok with. Just looking to see how other may structure their pet fee base

  • Realtor · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    @Dmitriy P. thank you for clarifying.  1.5x our median apartment rent here would be steep.  Pet deposits are typically a few hundred, ranging up to $750 on some leases.  Annual inspections in place coupled with the increased deposit offsets the risk enough the vast majority of the time.  

  • Rental Property Investor · West Caldwell, NJ · Member since 2014 · 66 posts · 18 votes
    4y

    @Bryan Noth I’m going to pm you.

  • Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles · Member since 2018 · 80 posts · 75 votes
    4y

    @Dmitriy P.

    $50 per month per pet. Max 2 pets.

    $500 pet deposit for up to two pets.

    Dogs or cats under 35 pounds. Breed restrictions apply.

  • Laura MarksBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Independence, MO · Member since 2020 · 127 posts · 111 votes
    4y

    $25/month pet rent, $300 refundable deposit and $150 non-refundable pet fee, which includes an inspection of their current property to inspect for pet damages. MO allows up to 2x the rent deposit but KS only allows 1x rent deposit but will allow additional pet deposit. 75% of renters have pets, that's a huge amount of prospects to eliminate by not allowing pets. 

  • Rental Property Investor · West Caldwell, NJ · Member since 2014 · 66 posts · 18 votes
    4y

    @Laura Marks I wish I could go this same route. Unfortunately, in NJ you cannot charge more than 1.5x monthly rent for security deposit so asking tenants to pay a pet deposit wouldn’t be legal in my state. Do you think charging a monthly pet fee based on dog weight is reasonable. For example, $1/lb? So if a dog is 40lbs that would be $40….just a thought I’ve been kicking around.

  • Rental Property Investor · Burlington County, NJ · Member since 2019 · 540 posts · 771 votes
    4y

    We allow pets in some of our properties, but not others.  Where allowed it is $45/month rent per pet. No deposits required.  Dog breed restrictions consistent with what our insurance company prohibits. 

  • Laura MarksBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Independence, MO · Member since 2020 · 127 posts · 111 votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Dmitriy P.:

    @Laura Marks I wish I could go this same route. Unfortunately, in NJ you cannot charge more than 1.5x monthly rent for security deposit so asking tenants to pay a pet deposit wouldn’t be legal in my state. Do you think charging a monthly pet fee based on dog weight is reasonable. For example, $1/lb? So if a dog is 40lbs that would be $40….just a thought I’ve been kicking around.

    If you're charging the max deposit anyway, you should be OK. Do you charge any pet rent? The pre inspections help so much. I don't know a chihuahua that pees everywhere can be more destructive than a lab that only goes outside. Do you have weight limits? It's a good idea to do limits, not necessarily a 90lb lab, which should have an adult weight of 70lbs but a Great Dane that has an adult weight of 120lbs. I do 80lbs adult weight of the breed. 

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    4y

    Deposits are refundable, fees are not.

    We charge a traditional deposit, then a monthly increase to the rent based on type of animal and size. Our highest rate is $100 a month which adds up to $1,200 a year. We rarely get a complaint.

    We only allow two animals per rental. There are some exceptions, like a 3,000 sq.ft. house on 100 acres.

    The only time we charge an up-front fee is if they have owned the animal for less than one year (rescue, puppy, or whatever) or they have a cat. These are high-risk situations so we want to limit them as much as possible. We charge a $300 fee up front and then the monthly rent increase.

    Our Animal Addendum makes it clear that the increase is for the full term of the lease. If the pet dies or is given away after three months, the fee remains until the end of the lease and then we can drop it at renewal. Even if a cat is only in the house for three months, the damage may be done, so we charge the full year of increase to protect against that.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · West Caldwell, NJ · Member since 2014 · 66 posts · 18 votes
    4y

    @Laura Marks I charge $25/per pet, max 2 pets. Weight limit to 35lbs. What I do require is vet reference. It’s hard to know if ppl are responsible pet owners. The only gauge I can try and use is ask to see that the dogs are up to date on their shots and spayed/neutered. Also, what do you mean by pre-inspection. Could you talk a little more about that?

  • Rental Property Investor · West Caldwell, NJ · Member since 2014 · 66 posts · 18 votes
    4y

    @Nathan G. Good point on owning the pet less than a year. I haven’t given that thought but makes sense. Also interested to see how you word your pet addendum, mainly regarding the pet fee to remain till the end of the lease term as what you mentioned about pet damage makes sense. Would you mind sending me a copy of your pet addendum so I can see how you word it?

  • Rental Property Investor · West Caldwell, NJ · Member since 2014 · 66 posts · 18 votes
    4y

    @Ron Brady how did you come up with the amount? Is it set regardless of dog weight?

  • Laura MarksBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Independence, MO · Member since 2020 · 127 posts · 111 votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Dmitriy P.:

    @Laura Marks I charge $25/per pet, max 2 pets. Weight limit to 35lbs. What I do require is vet reference. It’s hard to know if ppl are responsible pet owners. The only gauge I can try and use is ask to see that the dogs are up to date on their shots and spayed/neutered. Also, what do you mean by pre-inspection. Could you talk a little more about that?

    Sure! After approval with pets, I set up a time to visit their current home and meet their pet. I check for damages, smells and the animals temperament on their turf. Labs sometimes become pit bulls at that time, too. 😝

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Dmitriy P.:

    @Nathan G. Good point on owning the pet less than a year. I haven’t given that thought but makes sense. Also interested to see how you word your pet addendum, mainly regarding the pet fee to remain till the end of the lease term as what you mentioned about pet damage makes sense. Would you mind sending me a copy of your pet addendum so I can see how you word it?

    You can email me and I'll send it over.
    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · West Caldwell, NJ · Member since 2014 · 66 posts · 18 votes
    4y

    @Laura Marks what do you tell them about visiting their current place? I’m asking because then it would given them time to clean up I’m assuming if they know your coming. I currently have a prospective tenant with 2 dogs. Nothing larger than 35lbs. How would I bring up the conversation about visiting their current place and reason?

  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y

    The common way I see it done in CT is some kind of pet deposit along with a monthly pet rent. Typically an additional $250 per pet for a deposit and then an extra $25 in "pet rent". Neither of which by the way will make a dent in the cost of a pet seriously damaging your property. 

  • Weatherford, OK · Member since 2017 · 22 posts · 11 votes
    4y

    I have stopped charging charge extra for pets. People don't want to pay the extra rent, so they just have a secret pet. 
    I just assume everyone has a pet and figure it into the rent. If a tenant does not have a pet, they get a discount. 

  • Investor · Melbourne, FL · Member since 2017 · 159 posts · 116 votes
    4y

    $25 per month pet fee.  Pet fee remains during initial 1 year lease.  If pet leaves property, fee "may" be removed after initial 1 year lease.  I would love to get $50 - $125 per pet but I don't think my market will support those rates unless it was a large or agressive breed type of dog.

    1 dog, under 25 lb. No aggressive breeds, no puppies.  Must meet dog.  Cats strictly prohibited

    Renter's insurance required with pet coverage.  Must show proof of vaccinations.

    I prefer no pets in my units and used to prohibit them.  I discovered that allowing them greatly opens up the rental pool and has allowed me to rent faster.  Currently all of my units are dog owners.

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    I charge $350 and do not allow any aggressive breeds or dogs over 35 pounds. It works well and I think helps attract tenants (lower vacancy). I have never had damage done by one of the dogs but my units are in a nice area so usually responsible owners. 

  • Realtor · NJ · Member since 2020 · 277 posts · 138 votes
    4y

    @Dmitriy P. I charge a $250 nonrefundable pet fee at lease signing, then $25/month for a small dog (<25 lbs). The laws on pet rent/deposit vary from state to state so I would make sure to check on that.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.