Do I charge tenant for installing hand railing for stairs?

Do I charge tenant for installing hand railing for stairs?

Investor · Kansas City · Member since 2020 · 26 posts · 4 votes

Since I am just starting out with owning rental properties, I wanted to hear what experienced landlords would do in this situation.

An older resident asked me to install handrailing outside the front door on the stairs. I figured this would be a reasonable accommodation and something that the resident would appreciate. Since I am not handy and am limited on time, I hired a handyman service to take care of the project.

It ended up costing quite a bit more than I initially thought. So I was curious if I should just eat the cost and pay for the entire amount or if I would be able to charge back some of the cost to the tenant?

0Reply
105 views

Most Popular Reply

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
4y
Installing a railing is much cheaper than paying a medical bill. You did the right thing. Next time, try to get a bid from the contractor before hiring them so you know what to expect.
The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    4y

    I would not charge the tenant. If they fell on the stairs it could cost you a lot more.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    4y
    Installing a railing is much cheaper than paying a medical bill. You did the right thing. Next time, try to get a bid from the contractor before hiring them so you know what to expect.
    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Helena, MT · Member since 2017 · 282 posts · 117 votes
    4y

    Next time research how to do it, estimate the time for someone without experience and with experience.  You'll probably get a better estimate then. In general, everything costs more and takes longer :)

  • Real Estate Agent · Addison, IL · Member since 2015 · 185 posts · 88 votes
    4y

    @Caleb Smith don’t try to nickel and dime tenants especially when it comes to safety. It helped your building overall so just absorb the cost so you don’t cause any issues

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y

    I would happily pay for it...you're doing the right thing and you're making a friend...

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    4y

    Most of the time you need a railing by the stairs, so I'd just pay for it.  As other said, next time get an estimate up front so if the cost is high (look to see if it is because of material costs or labour) you can get a second quote.

  • Investor · Kansas City · Member since 2020 · 26 posts · 4 votes
    4y

    Got it! Thank you everybody for taking the time to respond to my question and helping me out!

  • Pueblo West, CO · Member since 2017 · 69 posts · 53 votes
    4y

    Wouldn't charge but curious on how much you paid?

  • Investor · Statewide, MO · Member since 2011 · 814 posts · 425 votes
    4y

    If more than two steps, code calls for it. It would be wise to anticipate this need on the next one. I would not ask for payment on this. How did it overrun? Handrails are generally straight forward.....

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.