Landlord/Tenant laws in Cobb county & Kennesaw

Landlord/Tenant laws in Cobb county & Kennesaw

Member since 2021 · 15 posts · 2 votes

Hi all - I am new to REI and looking to acquire my first SFH to rent to college students in the Kennesaw area where my son goes to school. I have looked all over the internet and called several Cobb county offices and cannot find any information on the landlord/tenant laws for Cobb county and Kennesaw. I have also reached out to 2 real estate lawyers but have not gotten a call back. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

0Reply
30 views

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Jasper GA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    Google. "Georgia landlord tenant handbook" 

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    4y

    A Google search of "Kennesaw Landlord Tenant Laws" brought up quite a few resources. Examples:

    https://www.hud.gov/states/geo...

    https://www.dca.ga.gov/node/29...

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Member since 2021 · 15 posts · 2 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Nathan Gesner:

    A Google search of "Kennesaw Landlord Tenant Laws" brought up quite a few resources. Examples:

    https://www.hud.gov/states/geo...

    https://www.dca.ga.gov/node/29...


    Thanks but I've already been there and downloaded the Georgia Landlord Tenant Handbook.  Both sites are only about the State of GA and not about Cobb county or the city of Kennesaw.  I've even scoured Cobb County and Kennesaw web sites and called several different Cobb County offices and can't get any kind of direction.  Any other suggestions?

  • David StewartPro Member
    Investor · Smyrna, GA · Member since 2014 · 22 posts · 8 votes
    4y

    NOT INVESTMENT OR LEGAL ADVICE:  As far as I know (and I invest almost exclusively in Cobb), there are no county specific laws with regard to landlord/tenant.  I have not run into that during my 10+ years investing here.  I have had some legal issues in Magistrate Court (https://www.cobbcounty.org/cou...) and some in the Federal court (https://www.ganb.uscourts.gov/).  I have never had Cobb county-only or Kennesaw-only laws come into effect.  

    My recommendation to you is that if you want absolute clarity on this point, you contact a Cobb-based RE lawyer and get a very clear, expert-based answer.

  • New York City, NY · Member since 2015 · 125 posts · 48 votes
    4y

    Basically all of the pertinent landlord/tenant laws you're looking for are going to be set at the state level, which is why you're not finding much.

  • Member since 2021 · 15 posts · 2 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Tyler Brown:

    Basically all of the pertinent landlord/tenant laws you're looking for are going to be set at the state level, which is why you're not finding much.

    Thank you so much! 
  • Member since 2021 · 15 posts · 2 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Tyler Brown:

    Basically all of the pertinent landlord/tenant laws you're looking for are going to be set at the state level, which is why you're not finding much.

    Thanks to all who have chimed in.  I contacted Cobb County zoning and although the person could not find the exact language he was pretty sure it was limited to 2 unrelated members per SFH. However, city of Kennesaw zoning does not adhere to Cobb County limits. And I just confirmed with them that the unrelated SFH occupancy is only 3 persons. So, I had wanted to start up in Kennesaw as my son goes to KSU and I would offer him free rent in exchange for bringing over his buddies. However, being it is limited to 3 unrelated occupants, then I don't think my goal of cash flowing a minimum of $1000 per unit is easily attainable. Does anyone have any comments? Of course it does come down to the figures - mortgage, insurance, landlord insurance, monthly expenses, vacancy rates (which apparently is very little for college students) and cap ex (did I leave anything out?) - but my gut feeling is I really need about 4 renters to conservatively cash flow $1000. And so, I think I need to shift my focus into acquiring BRRRR ready units in Atlanta where unrelated occupancy rates are apparently much higher. Any comments???


  • Real Estate Agent · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 683 posts · 317 votes
    4y

    Wow $1000 cash flow a month. That seems super good. What kind of down payment you plan to put down. Obviously the more you put down the more achievable it can be. But most of my investment property that i put down 25% doesn’t have that much cash flow. If you do find a way to achieve that please share how. 

  • Member since 2021 · 15 posts · 2 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Jingru Sui:

    Wow $1000 cash flow a month. That seems super good. What kind of down payment you plan to put down. Obviously the more you put down the more achievable it can be. But most of my investment property that i put down 25% doesn’t have that much cash flow. If you do find a way to achieve that please share how. 


    Hi Tina - yes it is a lofty goal but one that I think is attainable with the right size house in the right place. As far as putting money down, I am working on how to get 25% in cash. I figure on a purchase price between 100k-200k with a substantial rehab as I am using the BRRRR strategy. So, if this is realistic, a down payment of $50000. I already have a substantial chunk of that from refinancing my house last year with cash out. But I am trying to piece together the rest of the puzzle of the remaining down payment (possibly HELOC) and then finding a BRRRR ready property (which is in incredibly high demand these days) along with rehab financing.

    What parts of Atlanta does most of your real estate business center around? I am looking for BRRRR properties within Atlanta City limits within 5-10 minutes of GSU, GT and Emory - both MLS and off-market. And, although I am completely new to real estate investing, my long-term goal is to have a minimum of 10 of these units purchased, rehabbed, rented and refinanced within the next 5 years. So, I am seeking long-term relationships with investment savvy realtors - hopefully a long-term win win.  Please let me know if you have early access to these types of properties if within City of Atlanta limits and/or if you have any great contacts for general contractors, handymen and mortgage brokers.

  • Member since 2021 · 15 posts · 2 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Jingru Sui:

    Wow $1000 cash flow a month. That seems super good. What kind of down payment you plan to put down. Obviously the more you put down the more achievable it can be. But most of my investment property that i put down 25% doesn’t have that much cash flow. If you do find a way to achieve that please share how. 

    I think I misunderstood your question. Acquiring BRRRR ready SFH properties and renting to college students is my strategy. I was looking at renting to families when my son at KSU said he was gonna be paying $800 / month for his room in a SFH with 3 other buddies. That's when the light bulb went off and I decided to pursue renting to college students. Listen to the podcast with Bill Syrios on investing in college student rentals. Hope that helps. Let me know what parts of Atlanta most of your real estate business centers around? I am looking for BRRRR properties within Atlanta City limits within 5-10 minutes of GSU, GT and Emory - both MLS and off-market

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.