Tenant wants to Airbnb - insurance issue

Tenant wants to Airbnb - insurance issue

Member since 2019 · 16 posts · 2 votes

Hello,

I have someone who wants to rent my 3/2 SFR property so that they can then Airbnb it. They will pay me higher than market rent for doing it. Clearly there are a lot of pros and cons of this.

I have one specific question around homeowners insurance. My insurance broker has said that if I allow my tenants to Airbnb, then my standard homeowners insurance will become invalid. He can add short term rental riders to my insurance but that is for me to Airbnb the property -not my tenant. Once I allow a tenant to Airbnb the insurance company has no idea how good my tenant will be at managing this process and hence they do not allow this. I am aware of Airbnb insurance and my tenant would carry some insurance (and add me to it) - but of these will only be applicable if the Airbnb guest causes some issue. 

My problem is I have no way (that I am aware of) to get home owners insurance in this model (say there is fire in my home not caused by the tenant - I want some insurance to cover me in this case). If someone is in a similar situation and has researched about homeowners insurance - I would love to know how you have done this. 

Thank you very much for your help. 

0Reply
10 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
4y

@Viral Mehta,

IMO the answer is simple -- "Thank you for your interest, unfortunately, we don't allow subletting or AirBnB."   I don't like people making money off my competitive market rates, not to mention a ton more liability/problems vs. standard rental.

Is a little more money than market rent, worth losing your insurance?  Also-- you won't know who is coming to your property, when, so arranging say a plumber or HVAC would be a nightmare. Hard pass IMO. 

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    4y
    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    @Viral Mehta,

    IMO the answer is simple -- "Thank you for your interest, unfortunately, we don't allow subletting or AirBnB."   I don't like people making money off my competitive market rates, not to mention a ton more liability/problems vs. standard rental.

    Is a little more money than market rent, worth losing your insurance?  Also-- you won't know who is coming to your property, when, so arranging say a plumber or HVAC would be a nightmare. Hard pass IMO. 

  • Lien VuongBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Boston, MA · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    If the opportunity is there for Airbnb, it might be an opportunity you can take yourself. The smaller increase in rents is unlikely worth the insurance invalidation of the property. 

  • Jason BottPro Member
    Insurance Agent · Nationwide · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    @Viral Mehta in regards to the insurance policy, you would need to set up an entirely new policy specifically for STR.

    This would not be a Homeowners policy, but a commercial policy.  Roughly premiums could double, so make sure you quote that out before even discussing what rate you would charge to operator.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.