Property Manager · Boise, ID · Member since 2021 · 119 posts · 48 votes
I have tenants who want to be present during the tours I conduct (they're moving out at the end of the month). I think this is awkward. It doesn't state in the lease that they need to get out when I'm doing them... what do you all think?
Property Manager · Charlottesville, VA · Member since 2019 · 30 posts · 18 votes
4y
I wouldn't worry about it too much. This is not a negative sign in my experience. Just someone concerned for their things. I would just tell them you are welcome to be present but you do need to show the home to prospective. Always offer to work around their schedule as much of a pain as it may be. Always provide at least 48 hours notice.
When I was a tenant and my landlord wanted to do this it was always a hassle. The realtor said they’d give me plenty of notice, but often did not. They treated me like I was problem (I wanted to leave for the showings).
As a landlord I now wait until the home is vacant and cleaned before I show it.
If they want to be present just be respectful of their space and time, it is a disruption to their lives. Or wait until they move out.
The same. I wait until the property is vacant, clean, fix anything that needs fixing and then rent. I remember being a renter when I was younger and dealing with showings when the owner put the condo up for sale. It was annoying as hell, because the realtor would sometimes show up without notice. One time I was sitting on the toilet with the door wide open - and this bathroom faced the front door. All of a sudden the front door opens and the realtor walks in with these two elderly women. As we locked eyes, they got scared to death and ran out of the place.
Oh no! I'm pretty sure that's illegal! Yikes.
It is written in the lease specifically that we can give tours after the tenant provides 30 days notice, and I MUST (and always do) give at least 24 hours notice and work with the tenant's schedule. I'm incredibly respectful of their space and time, but waiting until they're all moved out and the house is cleaned causes a lot of lost revenue.