Tenant wants to be present during tour

Tenant wants to be present during tour

Property Manager · Boise, ID · Member since 2021 · 119 posts · 48 votes

I have tenants who want to be present during the tours I conduct (they're moving out at the end of the month). I think this is awkward. It doesn't state in the lease that they need to get out when I'm doing them... what do you all think?

0Reply
170 views

Most Popular Reply

Property Manager · Charlottesville, VA · Member since 2019 · 30 posts · 18 votes
4y

I wouldn't worry about it too much. This is not a negative sign in my experience. Just someone concerned for their things. I would just tell them you are welcome to be present but you do need to show the home to prospective. Always offer to work around their schedule as much of a pain as it may be. Always provide at least 48 hours notice.

See this reply in the discussion

26 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Developer · Youngstown, OH · Member since 2019 · 129 posts · 121 votes
    4y

    As a tenant I would find it extremely irritating and inconvenient if you were dragging people through my house that I'd paid rent for while I was trying to pack up to move, and even more so if you expected me to leave my house in order to show it to prospective new tenants

    You could offer to buy them dinner and send them to a movie on a Saturday afternoon and do all your showings at one time over a 3 to 4 hour period. Maybe they could use the break and would enjoy the time out, and you don't have to deal with them being there. I would say giving them $75 to $100 in gift cards for dinner and movies including the popcorn and drink of course, would be fair and both you and the tenants would be happy

    If they are disagreeable tenants, maybe the best choice is to schedule the viewings when they have moved out. I had a tenant when I was trying to sell one property who refused to leave even though I told her I needed her to not be there. And then she offered to sell the guy who wanted to buy it two of the storm doors, which was weird but that's a whole other story. So having them there definitely can make it difficult for you depending on your relationship with them

  • Property Manager · Boise, ID · Member since 2021 · 119 posts · 48 votes
    4y

    @Lori Williams It's a very common thing in the industry to show an upcoming property. It is specifically stated in the lease that I am allowed to. Waiting until they move out causes a lot of lost revenue. I am just wondering if other managers think it's common for them to want to be there. I am trying to schedule the showings while they're NOT there, therefore it isn't an inconvenience to them at all.

  • I​nvestor & Agent · Tulsa, OK · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    I’ve ran into this when tenant occupied’s are for sale. Not that big of a deal IMO. If anything doing it during one 2 hour block with multiple prospects can minimize the hassle, perhaps. 

  • Property Manager · Charlottesville, VA · Member since 2019 · 30 posts · 18 votes
    4y

    I wouldn't worry about it too much. This is not a negative sign in my experience. Just someone concerned for their things. I would just tell them you are welcome to be present but you do need to show the home to prospective. Always offer to work around their schedule as much of a pain as it may be. Always provide at least 48 hours notice.

  • Property Manager · Boise, ID · Member since 2021 · 119 posts · 48 votes
    4y

    @Jake Johnson thanks. I just think it's super awkward that they want to be there, especially since I have developed a very positive professional relationship. But a roommate moved in and they are the one with the most issue here. I would never allow unattended people in the home, and I gave the tenants a week notice.

  • Property Manager · Boise, ID · Member since 2021 · 119 posts · 48 votes
    4y

    @Nate Sanow when the owner requests being on the tour?

  • Developer · Youngstown, OH · Member since 2019 · 129 posts · 121 votes
    4y

    @Amanda Thompson

    I do understand that it's common to show an upcoming property before the old tenants move. And I understand leases allow for this sort of thing. I was just giving you some suggestions for alternatives.

    Personally, I won't take a prospect into a property with an old tenant there because I'd rather not have a prospect possibly influenced by the old tenant or the way the old tenant lives. I've actually rented houses with pictures bc the prospect didn't want to wait until after the tenant left to start the process.

    If your lease doesn't say anything about the tenant having to leave when you want to show it, you're going to have to deal with them being there, unless you can give them a reason to leave (like dinner and a movie on you) and then do all your showings then. *I* wouldn't leave and let ppl roam through my house and possibly be nosey or take something, and a lot of tenants are going to feel the same.

  • Rental Property Investor · Concord, NC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y

    Done it many times. I coordinate an agreeable time with current residents.  Usually give a week's notice and cherry pick the top 3 or 4 applicants arriving at ten minutes intervals.  It's good if they see other potential renters. All done in an hour.  Never had a problem with residents being home.  The objective is to minimize vacant time. 

    Give them gift cards and dinner?  You have got to be kidding

  • Developer · Youngstown, OH · Member since 2019 · 129 posts · 121 votes
    4y

    @Terrell Garren

    I've also been known to give them a house warming gift, have a fully tax deductible Tenant appreciation BBQ at my house in the summer, and send them a gift card at Christmas time if they've paid their rent on time for the whole year. I also schedule at least an hour for each showing. Different strokes, I guess. But I have the margins to make it a different experience than the average rental. And word of mouth has helped me rent properties before I'm even done with the rehab and without advertising. My vacancy time is almost 0.

  • Rental Property Investor · Lehigh Valley, PA · Member since 2017 · 200 posts · 191 votes
    4y

    It depends on the relationship you have with the tenant and the current state of the unit.  A disgruntled tenant and a messy unit could just waste everyone's time.  

    Class D -yes

    Class C- maybe

    Class A,B- no

    I would recommend doing a pre final walk through so you can prep the repairs in a timely manner.  See if your tenant will refer someone for a $500 finders fee- you'll save vacancy, time, and turnover minor repairs

  • Real Estate Agent · Cincinnati OH, USA · Member since 2017 · 79 posts · 61 votes
    4y

    I understand your point but if your tenant wants to be there they pretty much have the right.  They may be worried about their things being stolen or moved (which isn't realistic I know, but it might be to them).  If they are determined to be there you have two choices-show the property with them there or wait until they are moved out.  They are paying rent so you can't make them leave for a showing, regardless of how it makes you feel.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    4y

    It might be awkward, but they may also be concerned about strangers in their home.  Tell them they are welcome to be present.  Try to stack showings to minimize disruption, let the prospective tenants know the current tenant may be there, and after the tour, stand outside while talking to the prospective tenants.  Doing most of the talking outside limits the disruption to the current tenant and also prevents them from talking to the people touring the property.

  • Investor · Member since 2022 · 234 posts · 144 votes
    4y

    As long as the current tenants know ahead of time that there are tours then that's fine. I would try to get the most amount of people touring within an hour or two so you can maximize your time so you don't have to endure this for many parts of the day. Best of luck!

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    4y

    @Amanda Thompson I have never had tenants insist on being at the property, but I have had tenants who asked if they could stay due to their own convenience. I have shown the property with tenants there and successfully rented. I just explained to the perspective tenants, that we normally like to show without the tenant there, but they asked if they could be there. Most potential tenants are not bothered by this. If you encounter a combative tenant or property in bad condition, it may be necessary to wait for showings until the current tenant moves out. Most 3rd party property managers do not show occupied properties. It is just too difficult to coordinate. As an owner/manager, I always show and rent the property before the current tenants move out. We have near 0% vacancy by doing this. 

    I would not force the current tenant out during the showing, because it could open you to liability later. They could claim something was stolen, for example. If they insist on being there, let them stay. This is your same policy for repairs. I tell people they have a right to be there, but they also have to accommodate the time that works best for me.

  • Will GastonPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Columbia, SC · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    @Amanda Thompson I've dealt with this plenty before and I minimize energy spent on this by asking the current tenant when are 3-4 times that they would be okay with me showing it? Seek to understand and find out more information.

    If you can't accommodate potential showings then that's a different story.

    So many LLs want to get into fights with tenants over avoidable situations. Do not be one of those!

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    4y

    I've shown occupied units many times. I've had tenants insist on being there, tenants who didn't care, and tenants who offered to leave during the showing. It can be a little awkward with a current tenant there, but if I have to choose between a little awkwardness or a longer vacancy, I'll take the awkwardness every time. 

    Typical prospects aren't looking to move for at least a few weeks to a month. Why would I want to wait until the unit is empty to show it to these people? I'd much rather start showing it 30 days before the current tenant moves out and get a new tenant signed for a move-in date with as little vacant time as possible.

    I do let the current tenants know that I will make sure anyone viewing the unit stays within eyesight of me at all times. If it is a couple or family, we all proceed from room to room together. 

  • Investor · CT · Member since 2019 · 71 posts · 29 votes
    4y

    @Amanda Thompson

    When I was a tenant and my landlord wanted to do this it was always a hassle. The realtor said they’d give me plenty of notice, but often did not. They treated me like I was problem (I wanted to leave for the showings).

    As a landlord I now wait until the home is vacant and cleaned before I show it.

    If they want to be present just be respectful of their space and time, it is a disruption to their lives. Or wait until they move out.

  • Las Vegas · Member since 2020 · 38 posts · 29 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Kathryn Schauer:

    @Amanda Thompson

    When I was a tenant and my landlord wanted to do this it was always a hassle. The realtor said they’d give me plenty of notice, but often did not. They treated me like I was problem (I wanted to leave for the showings).

    As a landlord I now wait until the home is vacant and cleaned before I show it.

    If they want to be present just be respectful of their space and time, it is a disruption to their lives. Or wait until they move out.


    The same. I wait until the property is vacant, clean, fix anything that needs fixing and then rent. I remember being a renter when I was younger and dealing with showings when the owner put the condo up for sale. It was annoying as hell, because the realtor would sometimes show up without notice. One time I was sitting on the toilet with the door wide open - and this bathroom faced the front door. All of a sudden the front door opens and the realtor walks in with these two elderly women. As we locked eyes, they got scared to death and ran out of the place.

  • Specialist · Easton, PA · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Amanda Thompson:

    @Lori Williams It's a very common thing in the industry to show an upcoming property. It is specifically stated in the lease that I am allowed to. Waiting until they move out causes a lot of lost revenue. I am just wondering if other managers think it's common for them to want to be there. I am trying to schedule the showings while they're NOT there, therefore it isn't an inconvenience to them at all.

    I much rather lose a month than invade my tenants privacy. This happened to my wife (before we were married), and she would have to hide stuff for showings. Personally, I never show a property until it is vacant and fixed up/cleaned up ready for the next.  
  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2021 · 384 posts · 197 votes
    4y

    I've had tenants do this before and like most others mentioned already, they are just worried that someone will steal their stuff. I would just assure them that you'll be keeping an eye out for them. Also, if they're good tenants they sometimes help hype up the unit, which mostly tends to work in your favor.

  • Rental Property Investor · Huntsville, AL · Member since 2013 · 419 posts · 323 votes
    4y

    I'm pretty sure that in many states, if not all, a clause in a lease that said they had to not be present during showings would not be valid.  

    Here's what I do with my properties that I don't expect significant turnover prep.  

    Even though my lease says they must allow showings, I will make a request to reserve 2-4pm on Sundays as a showing period.  I won't show if the tenant has an issue even if I can enforce it due to the lease. I'll advertise and screen( never allowing an unscreened tenant to show) and schedule in 15-30min intervals.  I'll let them know the exact schedule and when I'll be done.  Most have chosen to not be present, but I've had a few hanging out watching TV or just around the house.  It's not been a problem so far.  

  • Investor · NY · Member since 2019 · 171 posts · 80 votes
    4y

    Generally speaking most of my tenants prefer to be present during any visit, whether it be repair, city inspection, appraiser etc. and I respect that because I completely understand if I was in their shoes. Just a matter of privacy and security, more so if your state permits firearms too. If it were me I would try my best to work around their schedule but personally I would just show it once its vacant, you can do some minor fixes and get it show ready if needed. The whole idea of gift cards, dinners, and things of that nature just seem completely unnecessary to me.  

  • Member since 2021 · 29 posts · 12 votes
    4y

    One group of my tenants even want to be there when I have contractors come over to give an estimate or do work. (One of them is very chatty and would chat with the contractors while contractors are billed by hours.) Other tenants never want to be around when I do showings or have contractors over. I think it depends on tenants' personalities, too.

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    4y

    Why would you want to pick a "fight" with a tenant on this? 

    They could make your job a lot harder!

    We allow them to be present, but politely warn them to stay out of the way and be silent unless we ask them a question.

  • Investor · Member since 2022 · 12 posts · 3 votes
    4y

    So here is the thing, with my experience it never really mattered if they wanted to be there or not. As long as they didn't do anything that would turn off a potential tenant, it didn't matter. IF they insist, feel free to do it with them there. However, make sure that the scheduling is good, maybe even tell the tenant like 3:45pm, but the viewing is at 4:00pm. That way there won't be any issues. 

    good luck

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.