Looking for Alleviation in opening up a Business Account

Looking for Alleviation in opening up a Business Account

Member since 2022 路 21 posts 路 11 votes

Just purchased my first 2 rentals. I go to Chase bank to open a business account. The bank says "You need a business account and to open one of those, you need to register your business with the state." So, I do that. The only choices I see are LLC or INC. There is also Fictitious Name Registration. So I go with LLC. Since I'm the only one, I place my name as CEO & CFO. Three weeks later, I have my paperwork. I go to the bank and they say "You can not open a business account with your name as 2 positions as an LLC. Also, the positions must be MGR as our system will not recognize CFO or CEO." Meanwhile, I've had 2 rental checks burning a hole in my pocket since March 11th and I told the other two to hold on to theirs because I have nowhere to legally deposit them. Today, I received a $94 dollar fine for not having a Labor Law poster. So, I have a couple of questions:

1) Do I actually need a "business account" or can I just open up another personal account and just use it for business?

2) How can I register a business name without having to use LLC or INC?

3) Any thoughts as to why I received the $94 fine (Labor Law Compliance)? I may have listed the LLC as "Real Estate." What should it be to not have to display a Labor Law poster? If I have zero employees, why would I need a Labor Law Poster?

4) I have another business (fitness related) that has nothing to do with real estate. It's more of a hobby than a business. Can I just use that business account for my rentals?

5) Are there any podcasts on this site that directly speak to the protocols for setting up the business so that rent collection/deposits can happen? 

Thanks everyone....I am barely keeping my head above water with this aspect of renting.

0Reply
27 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker 路 Cody, WY 路 Member since 2010 路 28k+ posts 路 41k+ votes
    4y

    Try different banks. There are millions of Landlords around the country that are not registered as a business.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    Investor 路 Shelton, WA 路 Member since 2017 路 6k+ posts 路 6k+ votes
    4y

    We have properties in LLC and others i our name. We have separate accounts but not business account for properties not in LLC.
    All members of LLC got a promotion last year we are now called Governors!馃巶

  • Member since 2022 路 21 posts 路 11 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Nathan Gesner:

    Try different banks. There are millions of Landlords around the country that are not registered as a business.

    I did just that and I know for a fact that there are many landlords out there who collect rent and use personal accounts to deposit the rental income.
    I asked the bank manager if the issue with my name in 2 spots was a "Chase" thing or a state/federal thing. He said "All I know is here at Chase we can not enter your paperwork the way it is." So, I drove over to Bank of America. It was about 3:50 PM and the one representative that opens business accounts said "currently, I am working with a client and we have another 30 min. to go. We close in 10 min., why don't you come back tomorrow." I thought to myself....I will not be back tomorrow. Then drove over to a Credit Union and opened a business account and deposited the 2 rental checks. 

    Thank you for replying
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.