Indiana time frame for return of tenant's security deposit?

Indiana time frame for return of tenant's security deposit?

Investor · Anchorage, AK · Member since 2015 · 267 posts · 76 votes

Hello !  Can someone tell me how many days after move out do I have to return the security deposit to a tenant in Indiana?  Some states allow 30 days but someone told me it might be 45 days in Indiana.  Also, I am required to include a list of items I am deducting from the deposit ( unpaid rent, cleaning, touch up paint ,etc) with the refund check correct?  Any replies would be appreciated !  Thanks  :) 

0Reply
34 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Kennesaw, GA · Member since 2018 · 98 posts · 127 votes
4y

I don't know about what the law requires in Indiana, however, if you're going to keep part of the tenants deposits, it would be in everyone's best interest to let them know exactly how much you're keeping and why you're keeping it. 

I have a move in / move out check list and if I have to keep any of the deposit, I send a detailed description of each item. I will also, on request, send the actual invoice from the handyman. 

I'm sure you would expect the same from someone keeping your money.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Kennesaw, GA · Member since 2018 · 98 posts · 127 votes
    4y

    I don't know about what the law requires in Indiana, however, if you're going to keep part of the tenants deposits, it would be in everyone's best interest to let them know exactly how much you're keeping and why you're keeping it. 

    I have a move in / move out check list and if I have to keep any of the deposit, I send a detailed description of each item. I will also, on request, send the actual invoice from the handyman. 

    I'm sure you would expect the same from someone keeping your money.

  • Jaron WallingPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y

    45 days. 

    I'd have something in writing explaining why $____ is being withheld from the security deposit. Better have before/after photos to justify it. Would come in handy if... you need to go to court. 

  • Member since 2022 · 12 posts · 7 votes
    4y

    It's 45 days in Indiana. I recommend doing a move in and move out inspection with the tenant. Then at move out, any damage, unpaid rent, etc, is documented and I provide a copy of the inspection and a receipt of costs along with the deposit. I'd gladly send you over my template if you'd like.

  • Property Manager · Griffith, IN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 913 votes
    4y

    It's 45 days from the point they vacate AND provide a forwarding address. The count down doesn't start without the forwarding address. 

    I send a certified letter with the breakdown of deductions from the deposit. Make sure you have plenty of pictures to justify the costs. 

  • Member since 2021 · 56 posts · 27 votes
    4y

    It's all spelled out here  (Indiana code Title 32, Article 31):

    https://www.lawserver.com/law/...

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.