Internet and WIFI for Security System - and offered to tennant

Internet and WIFI for Security System - and offered to tennant

Member since 2018 · 15 posts · 8 votes

I have a dilemma: I have a duplex and have had two breakins so far. I want to put in a security system but need WIFI for that and any cameras I put in. So I went ahead and ordered spectrum internet with the thought of providing the same WIFI access for the two units plus the security system for the two units. I am though rethinking this as it may cause headaches with down internet etc. but the break-in alternative is much more costly.
Anybody have thoughts and experience with this. I was going to have the the two units access the same WIFI since the router has a high coverage area. The units are empty now and the need for security is pretty high - Really need help with this as I am contemplating canceling what I just signed up for.

1Reply
51 views

Most Popular Reply

Property Manager · Nova Scotia · Member since 2021 · 78 posts · 52 votes
4y

Yes and yes.

We've done this at a few rentals, and it is the right move THAT ALSO causes headaches. 

About two years ago I spent the extra money to set up Wifi Mesh system (in this case Eero Wifi) and it seemingly solved the sharing issues. It provides better wifi coverage for the whole building and I can check on it remotely (even reset it) using an app. Haven't had a problem since, and have added it to our other "Wifi included" rentals since.

It can be costly, but if Spectrum isn't using a mesh router like Eero, ask to switch to just a modem system and then buy your own gear and do it that way. In my experience, it's been well worth it. Either way, go through and measure the signal to make sure it's strong throughout, invest in extensions if it's not. The "mesh" system is key though, simple extenders will still result in connection issues and complaints.

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Property Manager · Nova Scotia · Member since 2021 · 78 posts · 52 votes
    4y

    Yes and yes.

    We've done this at a few rentals, and it is the right move THAT ALSO causes headaches. 

    About two years ago I spent the extra money to set up Wifi Mesh system (in this case Eero Wifi) and it seemingly solved the sharing issues. It provides better wifi coverage for the whole building and I can check on it remotely (even reset it) using an app. Haven't had a problem since, and have added it to our other "Wifi included" rentals since.

    It can be costly, but if Spectrum isn't using a mesh router like Eero, ask to switch to just a modem system and then buy your own gear and do it that way. In my experience, it's been well worth it. Either way, go through and measure the signal to make sure it's strong throughout, invest in extensions if it's not. The "mesh" system is key though, simple extenders will still result in connection issues and complaints.

  • Member since 2018 · 15 posts · 8 votes
    4y

    Dominic - Thank you. So your proposal is to have a modem (Internet) servicing the two units and then a Eero (mesh) system 1 in each unit so each tenant can have their own WIFI access? That is if you can control where the devices in one unit pair with the correct Eero. Not sure about that.

    as far as a security system and/or cameras? Do you have a security systems in each of your units? And how do they pair with one of the mesh systems?

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    4y

    I think Dominic's idea is a good one. Keep in mind you may have complaints from your tenants about privacy violations. Be very clear with them about what you can/cannot monitor with the cameras.

    You can also consider selling and investing in a safer community.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Property Manager · Nova Scotia · Member since 2021 · 78 posts · 52 votes
    4y
    Quote from :

    Dominic - Thank you. So your proposal is to have a modem (Internet) servicing the two units and then a Eero (mesh) system 1 in each unit so each tenant can have their own WIFI access? That is if you can control where the devices in one unit pair with the correct Eero. Not sure about that.

    as far as a security system and/or cameras? Do you have a security systems in each of your units? And how do they pair with one of the mesh systems?

     As usual, @Nathan Gesner, is spot on lol

    The cameras are on the outside of the building only with one or two motion sensors (no sound) inside. If I add anything new I send a message to everyone in the building. I don't arm the inside sensors because it's all one system, but the technology certainly does exist to have a dedicated system per unit (which might be the right move for your situation).

    The internet connection is also shared, so that means there are potential privacy issues there as well. What I do is give the tenants the "Guest" account credentials on the Eero. It works essentially the same, but hides all other devices on the network. What this is also going to do though is cause an issue if the tenant wants to connect any smart devices that need to speak to each other (alexa, wireless printer etc.). In that case I provide the info for the "Unsecured Network" and explain that this network is less safe than the regular connection and should only be used occasionally and as needed (somewhat ironically, this will also be the network your security system is on).

    So far it's worked pretty well. I have had two tenants tell me they need their own connection (for faster/secure connections) and they simply got a 2nd line installed and pay for it themselves (the rent stays the same as they still have access to the provided internet as well).

  • Member since 2018 · 15 posts · 8 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Nathan Gesner:

    I think Dominic's idea is a good one. Keep in mind you may have complaints from your tenants about privacy violations. Be very clear with them about what you can/cannot monitor with the cameras.

    You can also consider selling and investing in a safer community.


     Nathan - Thank you! Unfortunately selling is probably not a good option at the moment - The break-in is in retaliation for ending the lease for a tenant with the hopes to get more responsible (credit checked) folks in there this next round. So I am on the fence about getting two security systems (like simplisafe) for each unit as it could get expensive and would need to make sure they could monitor. So I am open for suggestions there unless the cameras are all that I need. Someone suggested CPI. 

  • Member since 2018 · 15 posts · 8 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Dominic A.:
    Quote from :

    Dominic - Thank you. So your proposal is to have a modem (Internet) servicing the two units and then a Eero (mesh) system 1 in each unit so each tenant can have their own WIFI access? That is if you can control where the devices in one unit pair with the correct Eero. Not sure about that.

    as far as a security system and/or cameras? Do you have a security systems in each of your units? And how do they pair with one of the mesh systems?

     As usual, @Nathan Gesner, is spot on lol

    The cameras are on the outside of the building only with one or two motion sensors (no sound) inside. If I add anything new I send a message to everyone in the building. I don't arm the inside sensors because it's all one system, but the technology certainly does exist to have a dedicated system per unit (which might be the right move for your situation).

    The internet connection is also shared, so that means there are potential privacy issues there as well. What I do is give the tenants the "Guest" account credentials on the Eero. It works essentially the same, but hides all other devices on the network. What this is also going to do though is cause an issue if the tenant wants to connect any smart devices that need to speak to each other (alexa, wireless printer etc.). In that case I provide the info for the "Unsecured Network" and explain that this network is less safe than the regular connection and should only be used occasionally and as needed (somewhat ironically, this will also be the network your security system is on).

    So far it's worked pretty well. I have had two tenants tell me they need their own connection (for faster/secure connections) and they simply got a 2nd line installed and pay for it themselves (the rent stays the same as they still have access to the provided internet as well).


     Thank you for clarifying Dominic - I do not live in the location where this will be set up - property manager will have to plug in etc. so I may have to physically be there to connect Eero to my app - would be an expensive set up to do that as I would have to fly there just for that purpose -seems to me I am not the only one that owns properties from a distance with this situation but not sure my options. Also what security system do you use? Or do you only use cameras as a deterrent? 

  • Property Manager · Nova Scotia · Member since 2021 · 78 posts · 52 votes
    4y

    Sorry for the delay, 

    I manage remotely. Your property manager (or whoever sets up the system) will just need to use your account or offer you access to the Eero.

    Similarly, I use Arlo for my camera/security (they, like the Eero, are an Amazon product so it all works together pretty easily). Many of the wireless systems like Ring or SimpliSafe will offer the same access from afar though. You made need a subscription if you want to monitor remotely, but if your property manager is local they can stop by and check the "base station" (even from the driveway..it works via wifi) for local recordings if you need to review activity. With a string of break-ins, the subscription/alerts will be well worth it I think (that's my preferred option for cameras at vacant/priority rentals).

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.