Oh boy, shady tenant???

Oh boy, shady tenant???

Property Manager · Westminster, CO · Member since 2018 · 486 posts · 110 votes

Here is the issue, 


Picked a tenant to move in over the weekend. She was very desperate to move in because her previous residence had some sewer issues and had to live with her son in law. Tenant also said she has some relatives coming into town so she wanted to move in soon so it doesn’t get too crowded at her son in laws. Long story short, she moved in. She transferred utilities in her name, she has yet to give me renters insurance even though she said she applied, and She made the deposit and prorated rent payments. So I decided to give her keys. Once she moved in, I’m still attempting to collect renters insurance. All of the sudden, apartments.com (not sure if I recommend this site) said tenant has insufficient funds. I called the tenant and she said she called apartments.com and changed her account to a bank that the site approves. I called apartments.com to verify as the operator said that she did change bank account to an authorized bank accepted by apartments.com. The operator still said that the account still has insufficient funds. Tenant said that she has plenty of money in the account. Also the July 1st payment is still in old unauthorized bank account. So basically this tenant will be late prorated rent, deposit, and first months rent.  She grabbed the keys couple days ago. I wish apartments.com would have said that tenant had insufficient funds from the beginning and not 72 hours later. So what do I do now? Tenant is in process of moving in but is there anyway to reverse the move in process or halt so I can chose a new tenant? The lease has already been signed. Background check is clear for all adults. Credit score for both adults above 685. Where did I go wrong? Did I go wrong? What do I do now? Is this tenant truly trying to do right? 

1Reply
255 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2020 · 81 posts · 73 votes
4y

Could you stop collecting through apartments.com.  Have her give you a check for all money due and for all future rent payments since she says she has plenty of money in the account.

I have found that "rushed" people looking to move in ASAP are problematic.

See this reply in the discussion

52 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Property Manager · Westminster, CO · Member since 2018 · 486 posts · 110 votes
    3y

    Following up on this topic from months ago. I hired a lawyer who finally evicted this tenant. PM placed house on market about 33 days ago. When property was placed for rent, I thought it was ready to go and received my PM’s blessing. Apparently my PM walked through it a week ago, and said house isn’t ready for rent. She gave me a quote of atleast $7200 worth of work that it needs. I feel like this should have been discussed before house was out on market. The price of the house was also lowered by $100. There has been 68 contacts/inquiries yet only one showing. Tenant who saw it never reached back out so guessing they were not interested, according to my PM. PM is extremely thorough and experienced. She helped me get this tenant out of my property and I’ve learned a lot from her. I’m super confused how my house still on market. There were some safety issue that needs to be addressed but $7200 worth of work will not rent my house any faster in my opinion. It’s a cute house in a great neighborhood. According to Zillow contacts there is definitely people looking to rent and at the right price it will rent out. I’m just confused. I’m thinking of taking house off the market to try to fix some of the things the PM suggested. I have to try to do it myself as I can’t afford the price she quoted me and she doesn’t mind me doing the work, she just cares that work gets done and gets done asap. What suggestions does anyone have? Where am I going wrong? Thank you all  

  • Rental Property Investor · The Vampire State · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Nadir M.:

     What suggestions does anyone have? Where am I going wrong? Thank you all  


     You've made numerous mistakes, and I can talk faster than I can type.  PM me if you want a deep dive.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.