Renters Forum

Renters Forum

Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 465 votes

Seems to me there are many "landlords" type threads on the Renters forum and there are some "renters" threads in this forum.

Is this primarily due to the Renters forum being tucked under the General Real Estate umbrella and not side by side with this one under the Landlords and Tenants Forum so many didn't see one or the other? Or has it been this way so both are now serving the dual purposes since that's how many used it?

1Reply
27 views

Most Popular Reply

Jerry W.Pro Member
Moderator
Investor · Thermopolis, WY · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
12y

I agree with @Bill Gulley , most of the folks who come to this site are looking to become landlords, not renters. Its probably like complaining about cops in the coffee shop next to the police station, where 90% of the folks in there are cops hehe.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    12y

    Not sure, but we have had tenants post rants and questions and I think the renter side is for them, the other side of the fence. :)

  • Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 465 votes
    12y

    @Bill, that's what I thought. I really never looked into the renters forum.

    The forum description is clear: "

    This is the forum for renters. Lets talk about dealing with landlords, leases, and other issues."

    So the landlords post here, the renters post over there.

    I found it odd these two forums are not organized side by side.

    But I noticed a topic that was a landlord topic, and went into that forum and on the first page, every single topic seem to have been initiated by landlords. Hence the confusion.

  • Jerry W.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Thermopolis, WY · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    I agree with @Bill Gulley , most of the folks who come to this site are looking to become landlords, not renters. Its probably like complaining about cops in the coffee shop next to the police station, where 90% of the folks in there are cops hehe.

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    12y

    Yes, and while the cop at the counter is complaining about people running the stop sign at the corner, in plain sight of the station. :)

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    12y

    If you see a thread that is in the wrong forum, please use the "report abuse" button. Add a note saying "should be in xyz forum." We do look at those reports and act on them. We do try to get threads in the correct forum, but don't make an active effort to read through each forum and move threads to other forums if needed.

    All that said, please don't start reporting old posts. Fairly new ones, sure. But if its a year old, let sleeping dogs lie.

    The most troublesome forum for this problem, by far, is the BiggerPockets site Q&A forum. That forum is just for questions about the site. I'm sure I move 80% of more of the posts from that forum to some other forum.

  • Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 465 votes
    12y

    @Jon, understood.

    The reason I started this topic wasn't to complain, but more to get a better understanding.

    Are there so many landlord threads in the renters forum because those are in the wrong place? Or is there some background that lead to that being the case, such as most here are landlords and investors so they use both interchangeably?

    I could see a possible confusion is if a relatively newer member scroll down the list of forums and see "Renters" under "General Real Estate" they probably would assume that's the forum for landlords to post about "renter issues". To that end I think it makes more sense to have "Landlords" and "Tenants/Renters" to be both under the "Landlords and Tenant Forums" and everyone would immediately see which forum to go for what. IMHO probably would remove the majority of the posts being in the wrong place as far as landlords and renters go.

    My 2 cents.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.