Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Sam Leon
  • Investor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Votes |
?WOW WOW WOW? won't LAST LONG??? THIS PLACE FOR RENT! Ha!

Sam Leon
  • Investor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posted Nov 10 2013, 10:16

A couple of questions for those looking for tenants.

(1) Do you get a lot of calls from people asking questions that's already provided in the ads? I have a sign out (with a box containing detailed info on flyers) and online ads with all information. Why am I still getting many calls from people who asked how much and where? Last week a lady called and asked because she's sitting 4 feet away in her car but didn't feel like getting out of her car to retrieve the flyer.

(2) Do you ever consider a shorter term lease? I insisted on a 1 year lease but recently had someone very interested and she wanted a six month lease because she's looking to buy but needed a place due to her current resident closing in two weeks. I was thinking about it because a six month lease will bridge me over to the beginning of summer with more potential demand BUT since she's looking to buy it is more likely for her to break the 6 month lease sooner.

(3) Do you draft your ads to look for "maximum" calls or "only qualified" calls? I believe in not wasting people's (and mine) so I give very specific details. I even show detailed floor plans in the pictures with true dimensions of each room and where the doors, windows, closets are so they can figure out if the furniture. Some of my friends who are landlords give minimum details and they do get more calls and they think that gives them a better chance to rent their place.

(4) Wording your ads on Craigslist. Do you throw in junk words to stand out more? I just put a simple and direct line "3/2 Single Family Residence with Large Yard in Historic Sailboat Bend" but 80% of other ads have:

"OMG WONT LAST..."

"AMAZING GORGIOUS..."

"MUST SEE FAN-TAS-TIC..."

"NO COST MOVE IN FREE..." but inside it says security deposit and 1 month rent plus application to move in.

"BEST AND CHEAPEST IN AREA..."

"WOW WOW WOW..."

symbols like ??==> ==>==>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do they really work? Seriously?

(4) Do you publish your real phone number or use a temp Google Voice number? I am tempted to try a Google Voice number because I know the purpose of the call and can customize my voice mail greeting. I do wish Google would allow more than one number to be forwarded to my phone so I can keep business #1, day job, personal, rental all separate.

Loading replies...