DIY Landlord and Entrepreneur in the Proptech Space

DIY Landlord and Entrepreneur in the Proptech Space

Member since 2022 · 11 posts · 3 votes

Just wanted to introduce myself, I've got 4 door in Chicago (Lakeview and Wrigley) and grew up in the western suburbs of Chicago.  I'm looking forward to being more involved in the forums here and helping anyway I can.

Great to meet everyone!

1Reply
24 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 352 posts · 176 votes
3y

Hey Brent, welcome! How'd you get into your first deal? What do the numbers look like?

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 352 posts · 176 votes
    3y

    Hey Brent, welcome! How'd you get into your first deal? What do the numbers look like?

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Brent Hasse:

    Welcome to the BiggerPockets forums!

    Go to NETWORK at the top of your screen and you can search for other investors and investment groups in your area. You can also check meetup.com or search facebook for real estate investment groups, clubs, or meetings in your area.


    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    @Brent Hasse welcome to the forums! You are in the right spot to network and connect!

  • Member since 2022 · 11 posts · 3 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Michael K.:

    Hey Brent, welcome! How'd you get into your first deal? What do the numbers look like?

     @Michael K. Like many of you, I rented right out of school and quickly did the math of how much my landlord was making so I knew I had to get into the business. I was lucky enough to buy a garden unit in Wrigleyville as a short sale in 2011, it took 11 months to close but got a great deal. Then we started looking for a 3 Flat with a good Owners Unit, took 2 years to find the right one and got it off market through my network. So renting the bottom 2 units out and living in the 3rd. House Hacking 101

  • Member since 2022 · 11 posts · 3 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Nathan Gesner:
    Quote from @Brent Hasse:

    Welcome to the BiggerPockets forums!

    Go to NETWORK at the top of your screen and you can search for other investors and investment groups in your area. You can also check meetup.com or search facebook for real estate investment groups, clubs, or meetings in your area.


     Thanks @Nathan Gesner will do

  • Member since 2022 · 11 posts · 3 votes
    3y
    Quote from @John Warren:

    @Brent Hasse welcome to the forums! You are in the right spot to network and connect!

     Thanks @John Warren

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 352 posts · 176 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Brent Hasse:
    Quote from @Michael K.:

    Hey Brent, welcome! How'd you get into your first deal? What do the numbers look like?

     @Michael K. Like many of you, I rented right out of school and quickly did the math of how much my landlord was making so I knew I had to get into the business. I was lucky enough to buy a garden unit in Wrigleyville as a short sale in 2011, it took 11 months to close but got a great deal. Then we started looking for a 3 Flat with a good Owners Unit, took 2 years to find the right one and got it off market through my network. So renting the bottom 2 units out and living in the 3rd. House Hacking 101

    Sounds similar to what I experienced, had been living abroad in a country where rent payments are a fraction of what they are here. Moved back home and experienced sticker shock, then immediately started looking for a way to get around paying rent. 

    You mentioned proptech, what kind of work do you do?
  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    3y

    Checkout Meetup.com also for local events

  • Member since 2022 · 11 posts · 3 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Michael K.:
    Quote from @Brent Hasse:
    Quote from @Michael K.:

    Hey Brent, welcome! How'd you get into your first deal? What do the numbers look like?

     @Michael K. Like many of you, I rented right out of school and quickly did the math of how much my landlord was making so I knew I had to get into the business. I was lucky enough to buy a garden unit in Wrigleyville as a short sale in 2011, it took 11 months to close but got a great deal. Then we started looking for a 3 Flat with a good Owners Unit, took 2 years to find the right one and got it off market through my network. So renting the bottom 2 units out and living in the 3rd. House Hacking 101

    Sounds similar to what I experienced, had been living abroad in a country where rent payments are a fraction of what they are here. Moved back home and experienced sticker shock, then immediately started looking for a way to get around paying rent. 

    You mentioned proptech, what kind of work do you do?

     We built a tech-enabled property maintenance and repair platform to help flatten the cost curve of owning real estate. Think of it as an oil change but for your house, it's called Flat.  Feel free to DM me and I can share more.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.