Am I Being Punk'd?? PM sends insane estimate for condo make-ready expenses

Am I Being Punk'd?? PM sends insane estimate for condo make-ready expenses

AJ RomeroPro Member
Involved In Real Estate · Parker, CO · Member since 2013 · 27 posts · 2 votes

I own a condo in Southeast Denver that I've had for over 10 years, but have had to rent it out for the last 8. Due to living out of town most of this time we hired out property management to an established manager in the area whose business ended up being bought out by another PM. I stayed with the new guy just for the ease of transition. We had a few bumps in the road initially but he has been "managing" the unit with fairly few mishaps over the last 3 years.

I receive a call from this PM's office a month ago letting me know that the tenant for the last 2 years was moving out and they were going to try and raise the rent on the unit by $100. Of course, I was pleased to hear this information. I then get another call last week from the PM himself letting me know that he was having trouble getting the place re-leased due to the fact that some improvements needed to be made to justify the new rental price ($895). He informed me that he would have his contractor come out to make an estimate for these repairs/improvements. I expected to see a bill around $5000 or so. What I received was a bill of a whopping $12,576.25.

Honestly, getting a bill like this through my property manager for the last 3 years has really shaken the mild confidence that I had in this individual. Why in the HECK would I ever spend 12K to get a $100/mo increase in rent?? How could I ever justify making improvements when it would take over 10 years to recoup my investment?? I wish I could post this bill with all of its ridiculous estimates. $3500 to paint a 975 sq ft condo...$3400 to replace carpet which covers maybe only 60% of the unit (no stairs involved)...$90 to re-caulk the tub/shower...SERIOUSLY??

I would love suggestions on how to deal with this. I currently live over 100 miles away and have small children.

Thanks in advance for your help,

AJ

0Reply
41 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
12y

fire your p.m.

He's either trying to take advantage of you or a complete idiot.

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Sugar Land, TX · Member since 2013 · 26 posts · 2 votes
    12y
    It may be worth a couple of weekends to handle it yourself. Line up for them To work on the weekend and be there To make sure they have what they need. That or find a buddy I'm town that will supervise for you. I completely remodeled a 1100sqft house for under 15k. I'm sure paint and carpet could be done for closer to Your 5k number.
  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    12y

    100 miles is no big deal. Get in the car and go have a look. Get multiple estimates. If the PM refuses, get a new PM.

  • Investor · PA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 602 votes
    12y

    I would replace the carpet with laminate. The home legend brand sold by home depot has a 50 yr warranty and is 0.89/sqft. Total costs to do it yourself maybe $1000 plus maybe $200 for a table saw and basic tools. Total cost to paint yourself maybe $100 if you get 5 gal $60 paint that will hide well enough and then rest of money on rollers, drop cloth, $5 for silicone caulk, $2 caulk gun. Bring kids with you on a weekend to knock it out and treat it as a working vacation. Majority of contractors think the going rate is whatever they want to charge and half the time they will get whatever they ask for. A good painter can paint that whole space in 3-5 hours and to re-floor that much space might take 6 hours if you work fast. This would mean they want over 10 grand for 1-2 days worth of work for a single person.

  • Dion DePaoliPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Northwest Indiana, IN · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    To some degree the numbers do seem a bit high. Local factors can play into the cost of work performed. The first problem is you have no bearing to compare it to. I would recommend getting a couple other construction quotes. Perhaps even schedule one yourself, opposed to going through the PM. Simply have the PM open the unit for the inspection to produce the proposal.

    When we have managed assets far away, pictures are your best friend. Anything that demands more than $100 worth of work suggested by the PM, I request photos so I can understand what the work is and I can make a better decision.

    It would not be the first nor the last time a PM and a construction company collude to make profits. You are certainly able to express your concerns to your PM. A simple conversation around how you don't believe the expenses make any sense economically and see what type of response you get. To some degree, you expect your PM to manage and act in your best interest and this seems to be a little outside of best interest. As you mention, 10 years to recoup is a bit much.

  • Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    I would go online look up the local REI Group there & get a recommendation from them who to contact for both the work to be done & a NEW PM.

    In our condo days we would approach the Condo Assoc Board members as they usually have reputable contractors they deal with. There is usually one sane person on the board you can talk to.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    12y

    fire your p.m.

    He's either trying to take advantage of you or a complete idiot.

  • Realtor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    x4 @James Wise .

    I did about 175 yards of carpet for $4k at my house. I bought it at Sloan's. I have a guy that could take a look at the repairs. I think he does PM work now too.

    Depending on where it is, I could take a look at it for you. Let me know.

    $875 is CHEAP for Denver.

  • Investor · PA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 602 votes
    12y

    you can try posting an ad on Craigslist under labor gigs. I'm guessing you will see estimates for $200-400 for labor for the paint and same range for labor for 60% of the flooring. Make sure you or your PM doesn't pay any money up front until the work is completed because half of the people who respond will be crooks or former crooks. If the contractor transports the materials, take a picture of their license plate and ID so you can get them for theft when they run off with the materials.

  • AJ RomeroPro Member
    OP
    Involved In Real Estate · Parker, CO · Member since 2013 · 27 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    Thank you all for your perspectives. I am going up with my husband today to look at the place and fire this manager. We could certainly do a lot of this work ourselves -- @Jon Holdman you are right 100 mi is nothing compared to the 1000+ miles we used to deal with. I want to see with my own two eyes the level of devastation and look at this guy in the face to see whether is truly an idiot or a straight-up swindler. @Matt M. the condo is located in Whispering Pines its an older community and I don't think the rents are nearly as high as some of the newer buildings in the area.

  • Realtor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    I showed a unit in Whispering Pines last month to a client, so I know what you are talking about.

    I have a PM contact if you would like it. Let me know.

    Good luck!

  • Portland, OR · Member since 2013 · 48 posts · 14 votes
    12y

    yikes, and here I was concerned that my PM said it would be $2,400 to fix up a 1050 sqf unit after the tenant had been there 7 years. This included painting the entire unit, a new refrigerator, new stove vent, window screens, blinds, shower caulk, carpet clean, removal of left behind items, HVAC service, level ac unit, replace smoke detectors, replace toilet seats, and several other small items. For a rent increase of $150.00/month.....

  • Bill S.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    @AJ Romero don't spend your time doing the work. Spend your time finding the people to do the work. They will do it faster and better than you if you get the right ones. The added costs of labor would be offset by less downtime. Think two trips from Pueblo plus two weekends during the holidays vs having the contractor in and out during the week. Ready to show for the weekend. Personally I would ditch the PM and self manage. Use google voice to get a Denver number and your tenant will never know you live 100 miles away unless you tell them.

  • AJ RomeroPro Member
    OP
    Involved In Real Estate · Parker, CO · Member since 2013 · 27 posts · 2 votes
    12y
    Matt M. I would love to speak with you. I am on my cell phone and don't know how to change my settings so that someone can inbox me with contact info
  • Bill S.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    @AJ Romerodo a colleague request to @Matt M. , then you can send each other private messages. That's how I understand it works.

  • AJ RomeroPro Member
    OP
    Involved In Real Estate · Parker, CO · Member since 2013 · 27 posts · 2 votes
    12y
    Bill S. I think I will be following your advice for the most part ... Just need to line up estimates for the large projects. I like the google plus idea I will look into that!
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.