Average cost of owner paid utilities in Cincinnati?

Average cost of owner paid utilities in Cincinnati?

Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2022 · 47 posts · 22 votes

Looking at a couple 4 and 8 unit properties and was wondering what might some of the utility bills look like and what is standard to be in tenants name or charged back to them. Curious about monthly water bill per unit, electric, heat, trash, sewer, landscaping, and any others I might be missing. Also is it as easy as calling the city/utility provider to get this historical info for a particular property?

0Reply
26 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Cleveland OH · Member since 2015 · 216 posts · 275 votes
3y

I can not with Cinci but I can give you numbers from Cleveland.     I manage a 6 unit apartment.   Tenants have there own furnaces and HWT so no gas.   Electricity for common areas and laundry $125-150.00.  You can find service providers to provide a coin operated laundry service but you will pay for water & electricity.   Small commission in return.    Water/Sewer $300.00/month, dumpster 88.00/month, landscaping 75.00 per cut.  Do not forget to budget 10% monthly for Property Manager Fees and another 10% for maintenance budget.    Hope this helps.

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Cleveland OH · Member since 2015 · 216 posts · 275 votes
    3y

    I can not with Cinci but I can give you numbers from Cleveland.     I manage a 6 unit apartment.   Tenants have there own furnaces and HWT so no gas.   Electricity for common areas and laundry $125-150.00.  You can find service providers to provide a coin operated laundry service but you will pay for water & electricity.   Small commission in return.    Water/Sewer $300.00/month, dumpster 88.00/month, landscaping 75.00 per cut.  Do not forget to budget 10% monthly for Property Manager Fees and another 10% for maintenance budget.    Hope this helps.

  • Rental Property Investor · Lebanon, OH · Member since 2016 · 224 posts · 228 votes
    3y

    Great information, @Michelle Fenn!

    @Bret Halsey, I would go with Michelle's numbers.

  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2022 · 34 posts · 13 votes
    3y

    @Michelle Fenn sounds about the same in Cincinnati.  

  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2022 · 34 posts · 13 votes
    3y

    @Lee Yoder LOL Cincy is too small. I didn't know you lived in Lebanon. BTW, do you have any references for a good management company? 

  • Rental Property Investor · Lebanon, OH · Member since 2016 · 224 posts · 228 votes
    3y

    @Pradeep Shrestha, you live in Lebanon as well?!

    Are you looking for PM in Cincy or Dayton?

  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2022 · 47 posts · 22 votes
    3y

    @Michelle Fenn Are those 6 units all 1 bedroom? Are separate furnaces and HWTs common?

  • Real Estate Agent · Cleveland OH · Member since 2015 · 216 posts · 275 votes
    3y

    4 of the 6 units are 1 BR Large units though almost 1,000 sq ft.   The basement units are a 1BR and a 550sq ft efficiency.   Furnaces in closet in unit and HWT in basement common area.

  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2022 · 47 posts · 22 votes
    3y

    @Michelle Fenn Ok thank you! So there's about $600/mo or so in owners expenses, 10% PM, 10% maintenance reserves, and some allocation for vacancy that you subtract from your gross rents to get the NOI?

  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2022 · 34 posts · 13 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Lee Yoder:

    @Pradeep Shrestha, you live in Lebanon as well?!

    Are you looking for PM in Cincy or Dayton?


     I live in Maineville. I thought you were from out of state. Desperately looking for a PM in west chester to manage some condos. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Lebanon, OH · Member since 2016 · 224 posts · 228 votes
    3y

    Wow, we're neighbors, @Pradeep Shrestha! Haha

    I would recommend you talk with Slocomn Reed about your condos.

  • Marco FioreBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2022 · 78 posts · 73 votes
    3y

    A lot of those numbers are based upon how efficient you or your PM is. You can always change the lease to charge back some of these expenses. Best of luck!

    eXp Realty - Marco Fiore Real Estate519 Reviews
  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2022 · 34 posts · 13 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Lee Yoder:

    Wow, we're neighbors, @Pradeep Shrestha! Haha

    I would recommend you talk with Slocomn Reed about your condos.


     Got it! thanks! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.