Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
3y
@Mary JayI'd say quite fishy. Pressuring you, in a hurry, and the rest. I'm sure he is exaggerating income. Some folks, even big earners can be terrible money mangers.
The tenant (him and his wife) make 200K per year, bad credit b/c some credit card bills and medical bills are in collection.
Lives with his relatives now (I assume not paying rent, even if paying rent then I am sure its less than 2 k per month)
Has been working for 8 months, so says working on the credit and trying to fix it. Credit now 560 (him) and 600 (wife)
If you make 200k, why do you have credit cards in collection? Makes no sense, right?
Says has 4 other rentals that want him to sign the lease and wants my reply by saturday.
He wants my house because its in a better neighborhood than the other plus mine is cheaper by 800$ than the other.
I would honestly walk away because every investor should have a strict criteria for what they allow/don't allow in their investment property. I would not get blinded by the fact that they are making 200k+ year.
Also, did you see their credit report or are they telling you that their credit is low from medical bills and credit card bills in collection.
The tenant (him and his wife) make 200K per year, bad credit b/c some credit card bills and medical bills are in collection.
Lives with his relatives now (I assume not paying rent, even if paying rent then I am sure its less than 2 k per month)
Has been working for 8 months, so says working on the credit and trying to fix it. Credit now 560 (him) and 600 (wife)
If you make 200k, why do you have credit cards in collection? Makes no sense, right?
Says has 4 other rentals that want him to sign the lease and wants my reply by saturday.
He wants my house because its in a better neighborhood than the other plus mine is cheaper by 800$ than the other.
Hey Mary! I'd definitely recommend for you to obtain rental verifications from previous landlords. Don't feel pressured in having to rush your screening process. Move to your next prospect.
The tenant (him and his wife) make 200K per year, bad credit b/c some credit card bills and medical bills are in collection.
Lives with his relatives now (I assume not paying rent, even if paying rent then I am sure its less than 2 k per month)
Has been working for 8 months, so says working on the credit and trying to fix it. Credit now 560 (him) and 600 (wife)
If you make 200k, why do you have credit cards in collection? Makes no sense, right?
Says has 4 other rentals that want him to sign the lease and wants my reply by saturday.
He wants my house because its in a better neighborhood than the other plus mine is cheaper by 800$ than the other.
I would honestly walk away because every investor should have a strict criteria for what they allow/don't allow in their investment property. I would not get blinded by the fact that they are making 200k+ year.
Also, did you see their credit report or are they telling you that their credit is low from medical bills and credit card bills in collection.
I usually ask them what is their credit. But then I do a credit check before I sign a lease
Real Estate Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 715 votes
3y
Real estate investing can be a tricky business. In order for you to make sure that your tenant is reliable and capable of making their payments on time, it's important to have rental criteria in place. While the credit score of a potential tenant may not necessarily qualify them for one of your more expensive rentals, there is still a noticeable correlation between credit score and rent payments that should be taken into consideration. To protect yourself from any legal issues related to fair housing laws, it's best to have published rent criteria that potential tenants can view before applying so they know if they meet your standards or not. Additionally, it's important to require "proof of income" from any potential tenants - anything without proof doesn't count! By taking these precautions and following your criteria, you can ensure that the tenants you accept are reliable and capable of making their payments on time. Good luck!