Realtor · Athens, GA · Member since 2023 · 201 posts · 104 votes
3y
Lowes or Home Depot hollow center prehung doors are $150 new. I bet if you go looking at a builder supply or home materials recycling store you can get one for less than $50.
Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
3y
@Mihaela Bogdan what is the age of the building? I have gotten a lot of free doors when I was starting out from apartment buildings getting rid of them. A lot of the vintage buildings have doors they are getting rid of believe it or not! I literally have doors in buildings in the basements just sitting around.
Digging through older posts looking for rental repair advice, but this is still super relevant.
Cheap hollow-core MDF doors are a nightmare with tenants. They get kicked, scratched, or dented, and you end up replacing them every couple of years anyway.
I learned to just buy solid wood. Got mine from RealCraft for a couple of units, and when a tenant messes them up, I just sand and refinish them instead of buying new ones. Costs more upfront, but saves a ton of money over 5–10 years.