Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 465 votes
Lined up a tenant - screened - lease signed - paid first month rent, last month rent and security deposit.
Wanted to start rental on Jan 4, 2014. I suggested why not Jan 1 and make it easier? Said no will not be able to move until Jan 4.
Now it's Jan 2. Suddenly got a call and said they loaded everything up into the moving fan and is ready NOW to go over now, wants to move in tonight. It's a voice message and I haven't replied yet.
Now the unit is ready. But the rental period doesn't start till Jan 4.
I had previous told them I will meet them on the evening of Jan 3 to give them the keys. Now it's one full day earlier. I had instructed them to switch over electric, I haven't been able to verify that yet. Water is through HOA so it's not an issue.
Residential Real Estate Broker · Washington, Washington D.C. · Member since 2013 · 150 posts · 77 votes
12y
Let them move in two days early if it's convenient for you to meet them tonight instead of on the 4th. Make a pen change to the lease to have it start today instead of the 4th and then charge them two more days rent. More money in your pocket!
I would NOT let them move in early, especially not with a frantic "we want to move in NOW" call.
You told them Jan. 1, but they wanted Jan. 4. They knew they would get the keys Jan. 3. I would give them the keys the night of Jan. 3, after you verify utilities are in their name. I would remind them politely of the start date of their lease.
Residential Real Estate Broker · Hampton, KY · Member since 2013 · 5 posts · 4 votes
12y
Why not let them move in early. It would be the start of a good relationship with your tenant. Would not cost you anything. Be nice, it goes a long way. :)
Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
12y
First I'd ask them why the last minute change and why the urgency? I'd want a reasonable answer. And, if they can prove they've transferred electricity into their name, I'd be OK with it.
Residential Real Estate Broker · Washington, Washington D.C. · Member since 2013 · 150 posts · 77 votes
12y
Let them move in two days early if it's convenient for you to meet them tonight instead of on the 4th. Make a pen change to the lease to have it start today instead of the 4th and then charge them two more days rent. More money in your pocket!
Let them move in two days early if it's convenient for you to meet them tonight instead of on the 4th. Make a pen change to the lease to have it start today instead of the 4th and then charge them two more days rent. More money in your pocket!
Mira Loma, CA · Member since 2014 · 2 posts · 0 votes
12y
Normally, I would agree with Dwight. If you had made plans prior to today to allow them to move in sooner why not, it does start the relationship off on a positive note. But, if you initially suggested they start their lease on the 1st and didn't want to accept that date and now suddenly they want to move in sooner, TODAY, they are not starting the relationship off on the right foot. Bummer. Kindly, tell them you aren't going to be able to make it over to the property until tomorrow evening as agrees upon.
Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 655 votes
12y
You got the signed lease,first, last and security..I see no harm in letting them move in 2 days early. I'd definitley ask why don't really see any benefit to you not letting them.
Aurora, CO · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
12y
Are you prorating the rent? if so, you could just have them pay the extra day. If you're not prorating the rent it seems a bit churlish to not let them in.
This is most likely a misunderstanding. I do see how you could be leery of letting them change course on you, but I would give the benefit of the doubt. If they jack you around a second time, that's when you might need to get tough.
Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 465 votes
12y
Just checked with Florida Power and Light, and no request for new service has been made or scheduled. So that's an issue.
I am not sure of the reason of the sudden change, my guess is they were able to arrange a truck sooner than later? They said they would need to borrow a van/truck from someone.
BUT, that's VERY last minute, they want to meet an hour from now to get the keys, and if that means they will be moving after dark, and making noises late into the night, disturbing other occupants, that would be an issue.
One more thing, the unit is ready but I haven't duplicated all the needed keys yet, laundry room, external gate, front door, back door, mail box all have keys to be duplicated. Can I run out now to a Home Depot and do it? Yeah.
Lastly, it sorta messes up my move in procedure, the check list, going through the appliances making sure everything works etc...showing them where the AC filters are, where the water shutoff is, AC thermostat etc...
That's why I am leaning on saying no, but like many said, that sort of started things off on a negative note.
Real Estate Investor · Kirkland, WA · Member since 2012 · 480 posts · 116 votes
12y
This seems to happen now and then for me also. I wonder if anyone can chime in on this. Since you brought this up, I think I'm going to work out a process for handling this - maybe create a change of move-in date form with an applicable service fee to cover additional admistrative costs. If they're moving in on a new date, I would definitely update the rental agreement so those days are paid for - even though those vacant days would have gone unpaid - they would have to pay to live somewhere else anyway. Also, not sure, but if they move in before the rental agreement date and there was some kind of accident or somethng, there could be some liability concerns there. You should also raise the question about the utilities. And you are right. You need to take time to do the walk through, explain your procedures, where the utility shut offs are, etc. If you have to make another trip to do that, it's just more time spent doing something you would not have had to do. All things to think about.