Should I replace hardwood floors

Should I replace hardwood floors

Raleigh, NC · Member since 2021 · 19 posts · 6 votes

Hi guys,

I recently had a water damage to the kitchen/living area of townhome which I was living in. That area has hardwood floors. I called insurance and the water mitigation and repairs were done on time.

My insurance company has a policy to inspect hardwood floors only after 3 months from the damage date. Upon recent re-inspection, the insurance adjuster said that the hardwood is not flat enough compared to the other areas of the living room and needs replacement.

The issue is I moved out of state and decided to rent the property and tenants will start living within the next 10 days. My property manager said it is worth replacing the hardwood to maintain the value of the property.

Another issue is the insurance company came up with $7,000 estimate for a 500sqft area. If that estimate falls short of the contractor’s estimate, it could lead to delays in getting approval from the insurance company. (The insurance company sent me the $7000 and told me to find a contractor myself for the replacement.)

In these circumstances, should I go ahead with replacing the hardwood floors and possibly have the tenants live in a hotel if it is not complete before their move in date? I do not want any inconvenience for the tenant and I would not be comfortable if I were in their shoes.

0Reply
54 views

Most Popular Reply

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
3y
Quote from @Vaishaag P.:

Insurance paid for new floors so you should install the new floors. 500 square feet can be done fairly quickly. Go find a qualified installer and you can get it done before the tenants arrive, or you can finish it even after they move in.

The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y

    HW is not a great choice for a wet area like a kitchen anyway. If the floors are cupping or buckled I'd take them out and replace with 1/2" OSB and then a medium+ quality LVP floor with some kind of light stone pattern. You don't want artificial wood next to real wood in the living area, doesn't look right. LVP is waterproof and much tougher than HWF. Most of new construction including luxury is now LVP, so you don't need to worry about value. 7k should easily pay for the work, plus install is a lot faster than HW and can even be done with a tenant in place.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Vaishaag P.:

    Insurance paid for new floors so you should install the new floors. 500 square feet can be done fairly quickly. Go find a qualified installer and you can get it done before the tenants arrive, or you can finish it even after they move in.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 281 posts · 133 votes
    3y

    I agree with your property manager keep the hardwood. Get a couple estimates, 7k seems high. I have seen whole houses done in two days.

  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, Massachusetts (MA) · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    $7000 for 500 square feet? I think you did well by insurance. Last time we did this it was 4K all in for 900 square feet. 

  • Member since 2023 · 122 posts · 68 votes
    3y

    If the floors haven't calmed down by now they are warped and will need replacing. You should be able to replace 500 sqft for much less than the $7 you received and it could be replaced while tenants are living there because that's a one-day job. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.