General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Branden Raftery
Votes |
Navigating increasingly complex rental regulations in Washington state

Branden Raftery
Posted May 4 2023, 14:07

As someone who has rentals in multiple municipalities, I was wondering if some of you have found good resources for navigating the regulations in our areas? I'm currenlty in the WLA and try and attend the RHAW legislative updates for state happenings.

User Stats

Votes
Bjorn Ahlblad
Pro Member
#5 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
#5 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Replied May 4 2023, 21:24

@Branden Raftery The State of Wa is tenant friendly and becoming more difficult for LL every time new rules/laws are passed. Worst of course is Seattle and Tacoma likes to follow suit. 

WLA and really thorough screening does help. We have rentals in Tumwater, Shelton and Aberdeen. Investing OOS is not an option for my wife and I anymore. We are retired and invest max one hour from home. So far things are good.

Let's bend an elbow sometime!

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied May 5 2023, 05:27
Quote from @Branden Raftery:

As someone who has rentals in multiple municipalities, I was wondering if some of you have found good resources for navigating the regulations in our areas? I'm currenlty in the WLA and try and attend the RHAW legislative updates for state happenings.

Consider joining the Washington Landlord Association: https://rentalhousingjournal.c...

They can provide guidance, education, updates on new laws, etc. I also believe it's important for Landlords to join together and fight the Tenant-coddling legislators.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Michael Haas
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Seattle Investor: 80 Client HouseHacks & Counting! I Own: 🏠7 LTRs 🗻6 STRs, 🏘️3 DADU's
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Seattle Investor: 80 Client HouseHacks & Counting! I Own: 🏠7 LTRs 🗻6 STRs, 🏘️3 DADU's
Replied May 5 2023, 07:38

I highly recommend hiring a property manager - I have a great one, message me for a referral to her!

We used to self manage our rentals, but given there's now not only state and county rules but every individual CITY has decided they want their own rental regulations its no longer worth trying to keep up with the regs. Your job as an investor is to find good opportunities, and I've found that once you get past 1-2 properties the burden of property management slows your ability to find those opportunities. We're at 13 properties now, and property management has been huge for us as we're infinitely scalable now.

I know I didn't answer your question haha, but still wanted to give my two cents from my experience. Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Vukelich
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Auburn, WA: 🏢 26 LTRs 🏡 3 STRs
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Auburn, WA: 🏢 26 LTRs 🏡 3 STRs
Replied May 5 2023, 12:18

The Rental Housings Assoc of WA (RHAWA) is fantastic for PMs and self-managing investors.  I highly recommend joining and attending their legal webinars.  Recently found out on one where an attorney mentioned that Federal Way is now as challenging (if not more) than Seattle.  Many cities throughout western WA are adding new ordinances. It's a nearly a full time job to stay on top of all of the proposed legislation and changes.  You didn't mention an exact area but your post has a Tacoma location.  Have you come across this: www.tacoma4all.org?  Best wishes on your investing journey!

User Stats

Votes
Sherief Elbassuoni
  • Realtor
  • Bellevue, WA
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Bellevue, WA
Replied May 7 2023, 07:58

@Branden Raftery, you are correct. Staying on top of all the RCWs is not easy.

You can either hire a PM, or join RHAWA and start attending their webinars.

This is a high-level summary of the WA regulations. Not a ton of details, but a good starting point https://www.rhawa.org/covid-19

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Harden
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Puyallup, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Puyallup, WA
Replied May 10 2023, 13:15

Best piece of advice is to just take a leap of faith. You will never fully learn everything you need to learn without hands on experience in this industry. Books, podcasts and Youtube are a great starting point but the only way that you will grow is to get into the game.

User Stats

Votes
Branden Raftery
Votes |
Replied May 10 2023, 21:24
Quote from @Bjorn Ahlblad:

@Branden Raftery The State of Wa is tenant friendly and becoming more difficult for LL every time new rules/laws are passed. Worst of course is Seattle and Tacoma likes to follow suit. 

WLA and really thorough screening does help. We have rentals in Tumwater, Shelton and Aberdeen. Investing OOS is not an option for my wife and I anymore. We are retired and invest max one hour from home. So far things are good.

Let's bend an elbow sometime!

That'd be fun, I'm all in Thurston county now and always game to talk real estate

User Stats

Votes
Branden Raftery
Votes |
Replied May 10 2023, 21:26
Quote from @Michael Haas:

I highly recommend hiring a property manager - I have a great one, message me for a referral to her!

We used to self manage our rentals, but given there's now not only state and county rules but every individual CITY has decided they want their own rental regulations its no longer worth trying to keep up with the regs. Your job as an investor is to find good opportunities, and I've found that once you get past 1-2 properties the burden of property management slows your ability to find those opportunities. We're at 13 properties now, and property management has been huge for us as we're infinitely scalable now.

I know I didn't answer your question haha, but still wanted to give my two cents from my experience. Good luck!

I've had some bad experiences with property management in the past but am always open to things. Feel free to PM me their info.

User Stats

Votes
Branden Raftery
Votes |
Replied May 10 2023, 21:30
Quote from @Nathan Harden:

Best piece of advice is to just take a leap of faith. You will never fully learn everything you need to learn without hands on experience in this industry. Books, podcasts and Youtube are a great starting point but the only way that you will grow is to get into the game.

Well into the game at this point. I consolidated into an area but am thinking of branching out a bit. With myriad of local legislation that's been passed it's hard to look into different areas in the state and know for certain what your getting yourself into

User Stats

Votes
Julien Jeannot#4 House Hacking Contributor
  • CPA, Real Estate Broker & Investor
  • Seattle & Woodinville, WA
Votes |
Julien Jeannot#4 House Hacking Contributor
  • CPA, Real Estate Broker & Investor
  • Seattle & Woodinville, WA
Replied Jul 11 2023, 18:32

I’m a fan of skilled and experienced Property Managers. The speed at which regulation changes is hard to keep up and each local has deferent rules.

If you’d like to brave it on your own RHAW is a great place to start.

User Stats

Votes
Henry T.
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jul 13 2023, 00:07
It's difficult in this WA hell hole. Seems like they stick it to us daily with new legislation. Being a member of WLA and Rhawa is a very good start. I especially like WLA and their attorney you can email questions with. He's very good. Rhawa is overpriced for my tastes but maybe I have trouble navigating it. They have no stated policy regarding your personal info. Scary. Read the municipal codes the best you can, they're often poorly written(for a reason I figure), and talk to attorneys when you're not sure, and they're not even sure. Read the Tenants Union websites, they're horribly out of date but you can get some info from them. The so called Housing Justice Project might give you some info also, but also not up to date. Vote in city council members that support small business and landlords.