Do you compensate for inconveniences to tenants, such as replacing HVAC systems?

Do you compensate for inconveniences to tenants, such as replacing HVAC systems?

Member since 2023 · 21 posts · 2 votes

The AC went out and needs to be replaced in my Florida condo within the first month tenants are renting it, complete with 3 visits from HVAC before the new unit is even installed. 

Would it be expected or normal to offer some form of credit to offset the inconvenience? Obviously I feel badly about it, and the tenants are angry. When things like pipes burst, major appliances die, or mold remediation is needed during tenant occupancy, is it just too-bad-so-sad for the renters?

(Please no "should have" judgement - we owned the place for a month with the AC working perfectly leading up to tenants coming in, and we had a formal inspection as part of the purchase process, of course. The system was 7 years old.)

My one concern about doing the "nice" thing is that these are big time problem tenants. In a different post I explain about how they have complained and asked for maintenance non stop, and how they routinely overstep their boundaries by trying to demand orders for things that are landlord decisions. I worry a discount this month will set precedent. 

1Reply
19 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
3y

We get the unit fixed or replaced within a few days; so, no compensation necessary.  I've had a couple go longer over the years and had a window unit for those occasions.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    3y

    Things happen.  If something happened that the house couldn't be lived in for a few days, I'd expect their insurance to deal with it and if not, I'd help them a bit.  It really comes down the you and what you want to do.  I had a fridge that we were replacing (other one worked, but was really old and on its last legs) and delivery was a nightmare through no fault of the tenant and the company had to reschedule 3 times.  I ended up giving the tenants $100.

  • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y
    Aloha,

    Who compensates YOU when YOUR AC goes out? 

    If it were a major scheduled item, such as a condo re-piping, or tenting for termites, then yes, we would make allowances. But as long as you are timely with your efforts; within any time frame required by local law for repairs; and using a properly licensed and insured contractor...there is no reason other than to make yourself feel good. You are performing your job by getting the work done. I would question 3 visits prior to install, but depends on the symptoms and repairs or troubleshooting done during those visits. If they have Renters Insurance, it may cover a hotel, but that is their choice. If they have "medical" need for AC, was this issue ever raised prior to move in? I doubt it.
  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    3y

    We get the unit fixed or replaced within a few days; so, no compensation necessary.  I've had a couple go longer over the years and had a window unit for those occasions.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jessica Young:

    Already answered in the other forum. I don't compensate tenants for something out of my control, especially when Tenant abuse is a possible culprit.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Member since 2023 · 122 posts · 68 votes
    3y

    Slippery slope. I don't get into the habit of paying tenants for things that go wrong in the course of living in a home or unit. I fix the problem fast as I can. In any case, if they owned their own property who pay them if the air went out or a shutoff burst? Even my current home has problems that I need to address and haven't because when I get home I don't feel like messing with repairs unless they are serious issues. Tenants sometimes can have expectations that are a little unreasonable. No property is perfect and the good tenants know that. 

  • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Never. Stuff happens. Your responsibility is to fix it in a timely mannner.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.