Pet Policy for outside dog in Per Room Rental

Pet Policy for outside dog in Per Room Rental

Ellenwood, GA · Member since 2016 · 267 posts · 70 votes

Good day everyone.

So I rent by the room and have a tenant for the first time with a pet dog. He's a rescue, I believe a lab/retriever mix, less than 2 years old. He seemed mild-tempered, listened to his owner's commands, friendly and looked ok physically from his shiny black coat and bright curious eyes.

I've never allowed pets before but this property has a large dog enclosure that the owner agreed he could utilize with her providing a dog house for him to sleep/rest in.

I don't wish to charge a pet fee but I do wish to protect myself, other Tenants my neighbors and of course my yard. What suggestions do you have for me to include in my Agreement?

There is a nice back yard as well and a back deck. I'm ok with him in either area, even on the front porch maybe but definitely not in the house.

TLDR:- In lieu of a pet fee what would you include in a Pet Addendum for a dog that is kept outside?

Points so far

1. Proper Vaccination during Rental period

2. Explicitly saying dog is Tenant's sole responsibility and should not be allowed to wander off without Tenant's supervision and on a leash when outside of the enclosure.

3. Shouldn't be a nuisance or discomfort to other Tenants and neighbors.

4. Immediately remedy any complaints

5. Keep him from damaging any property for Landlord, tenants or neighbors.

6. Keeping him restrained but not tethered when away from the home.

7. Disposal of waste

8. Not leaving him unattended for an unreasonable amount of time.

Thx Bpers

0Reply
68 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Simi Valley, CA · Member since 2019 · 46 posts · 35 votes
3y

@Wendy S. Being stuck outside is a lonely life for a dog. It seems cruel. They are pack animals and need companionship. If the dog can't be inside with its owner then don't lease to a person with a pet.

See this reply in the discussion

26 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · North Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    @Wendy S.

    Dogs add a lot of legal exposure to owners and landlords. I would require renter's insurance that covers any liability (injuries/bites) from the dog. The average US dog bite claim is $49,000.

    https://quotewizard.com/home-i...

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y

    I would advise against this, especially in a room-shared property. All it takes is one little incident and you're wishing you hadn't been the nice guy and said yes. But now you're stuck if you get them to sign a lease.

    Your suggested rules above are vague and largely unenforceable.

    IMHO, this is a nightmare waiting to happen. You asked for advice......

  • Ellenwood, GA · Member since 2016 · 267 posts · 70 votes
    3y

    @Charles Carillo

    Thanks

  • Ellenwood, GA · Member since 2016 · 267 posts · 70 votes
    3y

    @Bruce Woodruff

    I did. Thank you.

    The points weren't exhaustive. They would be expounded on but I wanted to list what I had so far generally.

    The dog enclosure where he would be kept is large enough to accommodate over 6 cars, so he should be ok within the fences.

    I'm thinking when he is outside with his owner they could play in the backyard as well which is mainly unused.

    Haven't signed lease yet but wanted to move in today. Background and everhing else was previously cleared.

    Ultimately, I will make a decision but I wanted feedback on potential pitfalls.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Wendy S.:

    Ultimately, I will make a decision but I wanted feedback on potential pitfalls.

    I see lots of possible pitfalls (negatives).
    I see zero positives. You might make a couple more bucks, but any pet accident will wipe that out real quick like. And you make the tenant happy...but is that why you're in the Landlord business...? I hope not....
    Ultimately your choice, obviously...let us know how it works out down the road, you could get lucky......
  • Ellenwood, GA · Member since 2016 · 267 posts · 70 votes
    3y

    @Bruce Woodruff

    Thanks Bruce. Not making any extra bucks from this one.

    Just finished up my Addendum, will share with the prospect and see how it goes

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Wendy S.:

    @Bruce Woodruff

    Thanks Bruce. Not making any extra bucks from this one.

    Just finished up my Addendum, will share with the prospect and see how it goes


     So you're doing this why?

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y

    @Wendy S.  what do the other room renters say or is it just you?  I see this as the biggest pitfall.  I have had numerous calls on a house for rent and I take conventional pets there. I however have turned down the goat and chicken people due to noise for my nearby units.  If you have a house share by the room everybody has to be good with the dog. And I sure hope this is a maximum month to month lease.

    Also are dogs allowed to only be outside? If so what kind of noise do you expect at night? And your criteria are vague.  Disposal of waste in what time frame?  What is a unreasonable time to leave dog unattended?   What is immediately remedy to a complaint. What is considered a complaint? a call to animal control or police or a complaint by a co-tenant.   What among this requirements (which are vague) is cause for lease termination?  Are you going to have any trial period?  

       Love animals but there I see a lot of potential issues. 

  • Member since 2023 · 216 posts · 133 votes
    3y

    I would definitely at the very least notify your insurance agent that a dog is on the property!

  • Ellenwood, GA · Member since 2016 · 267 posts · 70 votes
    3y

    @Colleen F.

    Thanks Collen. I actually had the prospect take the dog with her and met the other occupant that was there.

    I also discussed with all prior to even considering. I usually actually have the tenant's show prospects a room so they can get a feel as well about the new person coming in.

    We have group texts and house meetings.

    The Pet Addendum was expounded on. I was aiming for bullet points when I asked the group here.

    If it doesn't work out there is provision for removal within 14 days written notice or 5 days correction for complaints etc.

  • Ellenwood, GA · Member since 2016 · 267 posts · 70 votes
    3y

    @Bruce Woodruff

    Caught between being a Landlord and helping someone whom I feel deserve a chance.

    I once rescued a dog with the same name, and cried when he passed. Sometimes it's not just about the money.

    I will post back here.

  • Ellenwood, GA · Member since 2016 · 267 posts · 70 votes
    3y

    @Chris Merchant

    Thank-you

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Wendy S.:

    @Bruce Woodruff

    Caught between being a Landlord and helping someone whom I feel deserve a chance.

    I once rescued a dog with the same name, and cried when he passed. Sometimes it's not just about the money.

    I will post back here.


     Gotcha. Dog-lover here as well, I understand. Just trying to be your voice-of-reason and help with the business thinking. I wish you the best :-)....

  • Hamp Lee IIIPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 832 votes
    3y

    @Wendy S.

    Thank you for sharing you situation and reading the many great posts to shed more light.

    I wish you all the best as you provide someone an opportunity they might not have had previously.  

  • Investor · Simi Valley, CA · Member since 2019 · 46 posts · 35 votes
    3y

    @Wendy S. Being stuck outside is a lonely life for a dog. It seems cruel. They are pack animals and need companionship. If the dog can't be inside with its owner then don't lease to a person with a pet.

  • John MorganPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Grand Prairie, TX · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    @Wendy S.

    I’ve got 3 houses I rent by the room and they all have dogs. One house has 7 dogs in there. Lol. They stay in the owners’ rooms and all use the backyard. I’ve never had a problem. And I don’t have any rules for them. I just tell them to pick up their dog poop and make sure their dogs don’t bark non stop when left in their rooms while they’re at work all day. Nobody has ever had a problem.

  • Ellenwood, GA · Member since 2016 · 267 posts · 70 votes
    3y

    @Bruce Woodruff thanks exactly why I posted here.

  • Ellenwood, GA · Member since 2016 · 267 posts · 70 votes
    3y

    @Bruce Woodruff thanks exactly why I posted here.

  • Ellenwood, GA · Member since 2016 · 267 posts · 70 votes
    3y

    @Hamp Lee III thanks its a great community.

  • Ellenwood, GA · Member since 2016 · 267 posts · 70 votes
    3y

    @Vicky L. Thank you. He is already an outside dog. We once had 7 dogs and they were all outside dogs, kept in separate enclosures, except one who would do all kinds of tricks to get out at nights just to stay on the front porch and kept watch then he would sleep in the days. They all had separate enclosures over half acre each. I don't think they were lonely.

    We had the oldest indoors due to old age in his final years.

  • Ellenwood, GA · Member since 2016 · 267 posts · 70 votes
    3y

    @John Morgan wow!

    I just tried with an ESA recently. Learned some lessons along the way but he was a sweet dog.

    I don't do inside pets because of issues raised by tenants and during screening they usually disclose they are happy for pet free.

    My hats off to you. Hopefully based on the comments here, you have good liability insurance in place and so too the owners.

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y

    @Wendy S.  as long as you are going into it with buyin from the co-tenant and have some grounds for termination if need.  If have fleshed out those terms you will be much better off.

    @John Morgan  Good for you but how are the neighbors doing?     I like dogs but people don't realize the barking can be an issue when you leave. I had a tenant with a great dog as long as they were there. If they left that dog barked non-stop. Animal control was called multiple times.  Some dogs are fine though but you never know.    

  • Ellenwood, GA · Member since 2016 · 267 posts · 70 votes
    3y

    @Colleen F. Yes, thank you ma'am.

  • Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    @Wendy S.,

    If you do accept this-- please go by when it's like 10 degrees outside, and you see the dog shivering.   Please make sure to go see it when it's pouring rain and the dog is trapped and miserable, and don't forget about when it gets to 100 outside, and it has nowhere to go.    I'm' not being emotional, I'm being logical.  It's the most heart-wrenching thing to see..  and don't forget when it dies from heat exhaustion, remember you played a role in this by allowing the dog to be outside only.   

    Also, you're completely naive to think if this person is an animal lover, they will actually do that, and not just have the dog with them in their room.

    We have a clause in our lease where if we accept a pet, it's not allowed to be an "outside only" for the reasons above.    If they can't be an adult and give the dog up, or pick housing that allows the dog-- I wouldn't rent to them.  Just my 2 cents-- coming from someone who allows pets inside, and got notified one time  that an adorable puppy died because the tenants  left him outside in the heat too long.   It happens, don't be a part of the problem IMO.  1000% NO-- I wouldn't accept this.

  • Ellenwood, GA · Member since 2016 · 267 posts · 70 votes
    3y

    @Linda S.

    Thank you so much for your input.

    My update said the applicant didn't work out, which was not due to the dog.

    While I understand what you're saying, thankfully our weather don't usually get to those temperatures.

    As for our dogs, I highly doubt they were miserable as they had more than adequate open play area, designated droppings area, dog houses, dog pools, toys etc and we interacted with them when we got home plus they were allowed to go run off into the woods and had 14 acres of land to play with.

    With that said, this would have been a temporary situation, with an end date prior to harsh summer or winter, until the Tenant was able to afford more long term permanent solution.

    I had also said there was a backyard for the dog to be with its owner and they could have also used the back covered porch.

    Thanks again and I am happy I am a part of this awesome diverse community.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.