Verbally abusive Tenants

Verbally abusive Tenants

Homeowner · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2014 · 16 posts · 2 votes

I am 3 months into my first venture and inherited some bad tenants. It has been one problem after another with them and have been professional and courteous through every turn. They have been verbally abusive and vulgar at every turn. I understand some of their frustration but resorting to calling me too overweight to look at problems have pushed me to the breaking point I have not allowed them to see. I have fixed every issue within 6 to 24 hours of the report while Learning of the problem at the same time as them. I think they are going to try and Sue me and am worried. I have their abusive rants on video or recording via voice mail. Should I be worried of losing a lawsuit in ohio because heat went out for 6 hours till I remedied it or water in the basement/garage that shows up every cpl days that i squeegee as much as possible [two to three days]. I am new at this and am scared of it failing due to these ppl when all i have wanted to do is help but that turn to attorneys very step. No problem has gone beyond 24 hours.

0Reply
44 views

Most Popular Reply

Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2012 · 39 posts · 12 votes
12y

Hi Zach,,

I just had verbally abusive tennants so I know what your goung through. She started this when they were late on their rent. You might want to think about telling them, "You don't seem to be happy living here. Why don't you start looking for a new place so you can move out by the end of February. I'm really sorry that it hasn't worked out." I would then follow up with a letter giving them their notice. You're documenting it just as I would. Whenever I talk to any tennant, I jot down the day, time and what it was about. Good idea to save the voicemail. Don't get sucked into their drama. They will keep doing yelling at and making fun of you because it has worked for them. They are a bully that you don't need to deal with. Do everything by the books because they probably have experience with the court system.

See this reply in the discussion

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Milford, CT · Member since 2012 · 592 posts · 285 votes
    12y

    Zach, outside of whats been suggested. Your only recourse next time they abuse you like this is call the cops, I am serious. I had a tenant like this who was verbally threatened one of my other tenants. When the victim called me up I informed them ASAP to call the police. Come to find out the abuser was under the influence and was arrested. This is really the only recourse if they start verbally threatening you again.

  • Homeowner · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2014 · 16 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    George

    That has crossed my mind. They received the notice to cease communication unless an emergency today. Told them to write a letter and that's the only way I would respond outside an emergency. Also put in a notice that the lease will not be renewed. They haven't knocked on my door yet but if it happens after this point I will have no choice but to have the police get involved. Is it March yet???

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    12y

    Zack,

    From what you have stated I do not believe that you will be sued by these people.

    Seeing as they are total dicks I would train them that their antics will only delay you in helping them solve the problems with their unit. I would explain to them that things break, it happens. If you own a home and the heat goes off and you call the HVAC guy and he says he can be there tomorrow and you start screaming and insulting him do you think he will drop everything and come right over or will he just hang up the phone?

    With most repairs the Landlord is required to fix them in a "reasonable" amount of time. "Reasonable" is considered under 30 days.

    I am in no way saying you should wait 30 days to repair the heat though. That would be something you would want to take care of ASAP but do not feel obligated to drop everything and repair all issues immediately for these people that are treating you this way.

  • Wholesaler · Holiday, FL · Member since 2013 · 571 posts · 221 votes
    12y
    Zach,

    The legal system is your friend. In general it will judge you based on the concept of A Reasonable Man. (in Law "reasonable" means: with reasoning) The questions will come down to: Did you behave in the ways of a Reasonable Man? Did they behave in the ways of a Reasonable Man?

    Don't get excited. Now don't take a bunch of friction either - but don't be drawn into their drama. Think about what a well-reasoned action would be, take that action, only that action, and document what you do and say. Time, day, etc. - privately keep a journal - write it all out. What they said and did / what you said and did. Who you called, when they responded, what they said, etc. It's very unlikely that they are doing this and you having detailed notes to refer to to will Really piss off their attorney if it ever comes down to an actual argument. <g>

    When people are rude (refer to you as overweight for example) just laugh and agree with them. It takes their power away.




    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    I am 3 months into my first venture and inherited some bad tenants. It has been one problem after another with them and have been professional and courteous through every turn. They have been verbally abusive and vulgar at every turn. I understand some of their frustration but resorting to calling me too overweight to look at problems have pushed me to the breaking point I have not allowed them to see. I have fixed every issue within 6 to 24 hours of the report while Learning of the problem at the same time as them. I think they are going to try and Sue me and am worried. I have their abusive rants on video or recording via voice mail. Should I be worried of losing a lawsuit in ohio because heat went out for 6 hours till I remedied it or water in the basement/garage that shows up every cpl days that i squeegee as much as possible [two to three days]. I am new at this and am scared of it failing due to these ppl when all i have wanted to do is help but that turn to attorneys very step. No problem has gone beyond 24 hours.
  • Norwalk, CT · Member since 2014 · 21 posts · 6 votes
    12y

    this is very interesting reading, especially for someone like me who has not taken the plunge yet. I am still researching and learning. As they say in some of the seminars, Experience is the best teachers, but someone else's experience is an even better teacher if you take the time to learn the lesson.

    It's April now so I assume the ugly tenants are gone and you can get your own better tenants this time around.

    Thank you for sharing your experience.

    ME

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.