VA Judgment collection to a person who moved to NC

VA Judgment collection to a person who moved to NC

Professional · Tampa, FL · Member since 2008 · 26 posts · 6 votes

I've got a 5-year old judgment in Virginia Beach (total value of judgment, legal, and interest currently around $8,000). I've been able to locate the debtor, who since gotten married & bought a house in the Fayetteville, NC area (thank you Facebook). A couple of complexities in this:

1. Change in marital status probably means that most of her assets are not seizable, unless she's got assets in her name only, since her husband is not on the judgment.
2. Having to export the judgment from VA to NC & go through the legal seizure process.
3. The slight possibility that I may have located the wrong person (although based on the information that I have, I am fairly certain this is the person).

I've tried to see what judgment enforcement companies would be willing to take this on. No one that I directly contacted seemed to want it, but after about a month, someone e-mailed me saying that they'd be interested in buying my judgment (50%/50% split after expenses). I'm kind of skeptical of this person, and not immediately ready to sign over a judgment without a little more fidelity in his processes & capabilities.

Questions for the forum:

1. My research indicates that it's a very straightforward (albeit not always fruitful) process, that doesn't require a judgment enforcement agency if I follow the county's seizure procedures and am willing to pay the upfront costs (probably $500 for court & sherriff's fees). Is there anyone familiar with NC collection procedures (actually having experienced the judgment recovery process in NC), who could give me a little more insight?

2. Assuming the enforcement process is as straightforward as moving the judgment, providing the required notices, then having the sherriff's seizure/auction, the primary risk is that there are no seizable assets. Is there a way to search for assets in a person's name (other than a house, which I've already located), without having to rely upon a third party (judgment enforcement, skip tracer, or attorney), particularly in NC?

3. Does anyone have a recommendation of a person who would be willing to assist?

Thank you.
Forrest

0Reply
14 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    12y

    "they'd be interested in buying my judgment (50%/50% split after expenses)."

    Sounds like this person doesn't know what they are talking about. In judgments the typical agreement is to buy the note outright for maybe 10 to 20 cents on the dollar tops. The judgment recovery company goes through years of time to recover some of what's owed and it's a grind.

    You can sit on a judgment and it keeps growing and you renew it depending on state laws until one day the debtor has the ability to pay and possibly contacts you for a settlement.

    The 50/50 is the judgment company typically spends their own money and what is recovered over time is split 50/50. The judgment company will require to ask questions and look at your file to see if the debtor is even collectible on any level.

    I wouldn't drop 500 more not even knowing if this person is collectible or not. The fact that many judgment companies have turned you down is not a good sign. When the people move out of state from where the judgment is at collection efforts get tougher and more complex. Have you not tried just selling it for 10 cents or 15 cents on the dollar and being done with it??

    No legal advice

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.