Need a good stipulation in case I will rent to a lawyer.

Need a good stipulation in case I will rent to a lawyer.

Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes

I have refused to rent to anyone for the last 25 years that even works in a lawyer's office, like IT even. My Broker brother rented to a lawyer ONCE, the guy lived there for 2 years without paying rent. Right now, talking to what sounds like a nice lady married to a retired Lawyer. Any legal stipulation I could put on my rental contract to protect me ? I can think of several, but have no clue if they would be legal.

Thanks

John C.

0Reply
9 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 5k+ votes
3y

Lawyers aren't a protected class, so you don't have to rent to them. However, I see no reason not to. I rented to a car salesman once and the unit was a mess. Should I avoid car salesmen? 

The idea that a lawyer is more likely to sue you or take advantage of you through legal means is unproven. Besides, there are hundreds of areas of law. Your lawyer may never have seen the inside of a courtroom during their entire career. They may specialize in writing insurance contracts for non-US maritime shippers. 

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    3y

    I have rented to lawyers and doctors, even a former judge, just screen like you would anyone else and check everything; assume nothing. All the best!

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    Lawyers aren't a protected class, so you don't have to rent to them. However, I see no reason not to. I rented to a car salesman once and the unit was a mess. Should I avoid car salesmen? 

    The idea that a lawyer is more likely to sue you or take advantage of you through legal means is unproven. Besides, there are hundreds of areas of law. Your lawyer may never have seen the inside of a courtroom during their entire career. They may specialize in writing insurance contracts for non-US maritime shippers. 

  • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    IQ must be higher than 60? That should weed out most of them.

  • Investor · Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk · Member since 2021 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @John Casey:

    I have refused to rent to anyone for the last 25 years that even works in a lawyer's office, like IT even. My Broker brother rented to a lawyer ONCE, the guy lived there for 2 years without paying rent. Right now, talking to what sounds like a nice lady married to a retired Lawyer. Any legal stipulation I could put on my rental contract to protect me ? I can think of several, but have no clue if they would be legal.

    Thanks

    John C.

    That's very funny.
    It depends on the area of practice.
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    3y

    Greg is correct. You can specifically state that you will not rent to an attorney or anyone that works in an attorney's office. I have rejected multiple attorneys in the past, primarily because they want to nitpick my lease or attempt to change it. I politely tell them to get lost and move on.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.