Rental Property Investing from outside the US

Rental Property Investing from outside the US

Member since 2023 · 4 posts · 1 vote

Hello Guyz.

I am outside of the US (In India) and have been interested in investing for rental income. 

I have been interested in the US rental home market considering it is relatively organized and also with better yields. 

I would like to know if you would advise such an investment which has to be managed mostly remotely. If yes, I would like to know how I could go about. 

Thank you in advance.

0Reply
25 views

Most Popular Reply

Michele FischerPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
3y

Hi there.

I would start by narrowing down a city you would like to invest in, set up a virtual meeting with property management companies in the area, ask them what neighborhoods they manage in and how much property improvement they are willing to do on your behalf, find a real estate agent, locate a property, buy it, and turn it over to the management company you most liked.

This is probably easier now with docusign and virtual meetings being mainstream, I would check with the real estate agent to see what you need to do to get the closing notarized.  Forums on this site about long distance investing should be helpful and you just have the added wrinkle of being out of country instead of out of state.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Michele FischerPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Hi there.

    I would start by narrowing down a city you would like to invest in, set up a virtual meeting with property management companies in the area, ask them what neighborhoods they manage in and how much property improvement they are willing to do on your behalf, find a real estate agent, locate a property, buy it, and turn it over to the management company you most liked.

    This is probably easier now with docusign and virtual meetings being mainstream, I would check with the real estate agent to see what you need to do to get the closing notarized.  Forums on this site about long distance investing should be helpful and you just have the added wrinkle of being out of country instead of out of state.

  • Michael SmytheBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit · Member since 2023 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    Wouldn't advise trying to manage remotely from outside the USA - unless you scale up and can hire boots on the ground here.

    We've helped clients from around the world invest in Metro Detroit, how can we help you?

    Logical Property Management4.9454 Reviews
  • Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Gautham Babu:

    Hello Guyz.

    I am outside of the US (In India) and have been interested in investing for rental income. 

    I have been interested in the US rental home market considering it is relatively organized and also with better yields. 

    I would like to know if you would advise such an investment which has to be managed mostly remotely. If yes, I would like to know how I could go about. 

    Thank you in advance.

     I know dozens of investors from all over the world that invest in rentals, all is taken care of for them.  I live on the beach in Fl and do all my business in the Cleveland markets. It's all about knowledge and your team. 

    All the best 

  • Investor · Arroyo Grande, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Hey Gautham, yes it can absolutely be done from outside the US.

    There are two routes to take.

    You either build your team yourself from scratch (more involved), or you plug yourself into an existing team. 

    I invest in Detroit and lived there for five years before moving back to California. So I took the route of building my own team while on the ground. I still invest there but also work with out of state and out of country investors to plug them into my team/network.

    If you want to talk about the Detroit market definitely shoot me a message.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.