Austin TX Rental property struggling with finding a tenant!

Austin TX Rental property struggling with finding a tenant!

Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 24 posts · 6 votes

I have a 3bds/2ba SFR rental property in north east Austin (great location, 20 minutes to downtown); 2 months ago before my tenant moved out we listed the house for rent (kept the rent flat, $2,300/month) , but so far I've had only one applicant and they also went for another property eventually! My previous tenant moved out at the end of Aug and now it's ready for move-in, I also replaced carpets with Vinyl, Pics of the property are taken professionally and also a 3D video is posted. What I see from Zillow is that there are so many homes for rent in the area and the rents are almost in the same range, and apparently there are not many people moving around ... am thinking to reduce the rent to compete, (although I don't really like doing this), but I might have to or my agent was telling me I can offer 1-month free rent for an immediate move-in (I already have paid for the mortgage in Sept!) I'm looking for your thoughts or recommendations on what my strategy should be? How long vacancy in a market like AUSTIN is acceptable? when you guys have vacancy for more than 12 months, what do you do to pay for the mortgage? I'm wondering if other landlords have similar challenge in Austin or other markets? I really appreciate your inputs!

0Reply
39 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · New Braunfels, TX · Member since 2022 · 408 posts · 408 votes
3y

Your price must be too high for that location. We rarely have more than a week turnover in our rental properties here in central Texas.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 24 posts · 6 votes
    3y

    Correction: when you guys have vacancy for more than 1-2 months*

  • Rental Property Investor · New Braunfels, TX · Member since 2022 · 408 posts · 408 votes
    3y

    Your price must be too high for that location. We rarely have more than a week turnover in our rental properties here in central Texas.

  • Lender · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2023 · 19 posts · 9 votes
    3y

    i believe austin is just a overly saturated market right now. 

    there is quite a few 4/2 3/2 in that area specifically available right now for anywhere from 2000-2500. might need to lower it a bit and see if it adds some interest ( if it will still cash flow )

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Ali Masoudi:

    Lower your price, never your standards.

    Study the market to see what comparables are out there, price yourself below that. 

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Ryan KellyBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    @Ali Masoudi as others have said, focus on your list price as that’s what tenants are looking at to compare. A lot of owners who have had trouble selling are now flipping their listings to rentals. Other homeowners are keeping past properties as rentals simply because they have low interest rates. This inventory is on top of the ordinary rental stock of homes. It’s more competitive to get tenants so do what you can to get one in there for September. The market typically slows down as we head into the winter months as fewer people move during that time.

    Ryan Kelly Group - Keller Williams5110 Reviews
  • Real Estate Broker · Coppell, TX · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y

    Vacancy kills your returns.  $100/less rent/month is $3600 over 3 years, if you don't raise it back.

    45 days of vacancy costs you $3450 for sure 100%, plus you are moving into the slower rental months.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.